• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just bought English Budgies!

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
After about 10 years of not owning budgies I just came home with a pair of English Budgies!
3132BD63-B1E2-4A2C-A8CD-4C05E628B4D9.jpeg
the white is a double spangle that I’ve named Yuki(snow). The yellow and green was an impulse buy from the same breeder. she is so sweet, she hopped onto my finger and mouthed my thumb gently. I haven’t named her yet, She looks like an autumn tree turning yellow. both are 7 weeks old, hatched one day apart.
3A2B6FBD-F31E-4523-9B33-7CB943D0882E.jpeg
a modest flight cage from prevue. The rest of the toys are arriving on the ninth.
I want to harness train them, anyone have a harness that fits an English budgie?

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
After about 10 years of not owning budgies I just came home with a pair of English Budgies!
View attachment 364474
the white is a double spangle that I’ve named Yuki(snow). The yellow and green was an impulse buy from the same breeder. she is so sweet, she hopped onto my finger and mouthed my thumb gently. I haven’t named her yet, She looks like an autumn tree turning yellow. both are 7 weeks old, hatched one day apart.
View attachment 364473
a modest flight cage from prevue. The rest of the toys are arriving on the ninth.
I want to harness train them, anyone have a harness that fits an English budgie?
Most of the time budgies do not do well in harnesses. What are the dimensions of the cage?

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Most of the time budgies do not do well in harnesses. What are the dimensions of the cage?
36" x 24" x 14" with 1/2" bar spacing
No budgies have learned to use a harness? In my youth I would put an anklet on my pet budgie(hand fed American budgie) and take her on walks. I would not do that now, since it could have injuried my budgies leg. Thankfully my girl didn't have that happen, but darn, childhood was fun when I had my budgie with me.

BirdWorld

:hi: Welcome to the avenue!
Congratulations on getting them! The cage looks good-sized, but maybe put more toys? It looks pretty empty. Budgies do not wear harnesses because they are too small. Having the weight of a harness on a tiny budgie puts a lot of stress on them. However, this is with Australian budgies, and I’m not sure how big yours are. Are you sure the green one is seven weeks old and not months? She looks closer to the latter, it doesn’t look like she’s got baby bars.

BirdWorld

Oh, and I forgot to add, many members here like the aviator harness for birds :) for a budgie, even English, you’d likely need the smallest size.

Aves

Congrats! Your birds are cute! If your English budgies don't play with toys try paper.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Awww, so cute :xflove:
I am sure budgies have been trained to harness, but the harness probably weight a similar amount to the budgie its self and that would be really quite uncomfortable.
@Zara recommends the smallest bird to harness is a Lovebird, no smaller.
If you would like to take them outside with you maybe try a parrot backpack.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
:hi: Welcome to the avenue!
Congratulations on getting them! The cage looks good-sized, but maybe put more toys? It looks pretty empty. Budgies do not wear harnesses because they are too small. Having the weight of a harness on a tiny budgie puts a lot of stress on them. However, this is with Australian budgies, and I’m not sure how big yours are. Are you sure the green one is seven weeks old and not months? She looks closer to the latter, it doesn’t look like she’s got baby bars.
The toys are arriving next Wednesday, though I’ll probably buy a mirror tomorrow when I go out to harvest some manzanita branches(CA native perks). I’ll be making a swing too! It looks empty to me too, but that won’t last long, I’ve put stainless steel eye screws on a few branches so I can hang toys from them.
I might check harness designs if I can’t find the correct size, and make my own. I’ve designed for bantam chickens, pigeons, and chinchillas. You’re right about the size, I don’t want a harness that’s to heavy.
The little green is opaline, I think it means she doesn’t have barring or something. I haven’t memorized the budgie color genetics yet:bored: the breeder did write down their birthdays, Yuki is 10/17 and the little green is 10/16.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:

I luv English Budgies as they are so sweet but often have early health issues.

They are cute but don;t look English to me but maybe its the mutations.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Just looked up avaitor harness, yeah, I would need to make my own because those look way to bulky and heavy for a budgie.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're really cute! What are you going to name the green-yellow one? You're lucky, being able to harvest your own manzanita perches. They're expensive here.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
They're really cute! What are you going to name the green-yellow one? You're lucky, being able to harvest your own manzanita perches. They're expensive here.
I haven’t decided yet, I might name her autumn in Japanese or after a green gemstone.
I know, they are expensive here too! Pretty outrageous to pay $8 for a branch with some hardware. Hardware costs about $1, and I cut square poplar piece instead of a washer on the inside(so they play with toys instead of shiny washers).

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Just looked up avaitor harness, yeah, I would need to make my own because those look way to bulky and heavy for a budgie.
Can confirm. I have a mini, which is the size they advertise as suitable for budgies, and it is definitely too large. I'm a big fan of the aviator, but they really missed the mark on that one. I'm dubious it would even fit a lovebird properly.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
They are English or atleast Half-English, Aussie budgies don't have those puffy cheeks :)
They are indeed English budgies. I would say my green is a pet quality English, as she doesn’t have a lot of fluff on her head. I got to walk in to the aviary and I met the parents and all the other budgies, there where no Aussie budgies there. Genetics will vary, but it’s safe to say both are English, just slightly different genetics for the feather length.
B7E278A1-9EE9-42E3-AE14-31EAEBCAAE7D.jpeg 09EBC182-6E0F-49EF-921D-34E15603552D.jpeg

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Here’s some name suggestions for the green one. Female, right?

Misaki (beautiful new flower)

Nanako (child of the greens or apple tree)

Kaeda (maple tree. Your first words about her...? :hehe:)

Moriko (child of the greens..different word for it)

Youko (Sunshine)