• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

JUST AN UPDATE ON HOW WE ARE DOING.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Hi All. It’s been awhile since my last post so thought I would bring you up to date. The last I posted I believe I had mentioned that my Yorkie pup Roxie was diagnosed with Kidney failure in late May. I started in home dialysis with lots of meds the first of June knowing she would only be with me till she stopped responding to the medication. I’m heartbroken to say that I said goodbye to my Roxie on February 11th after 24 hours of suddenly going downhill. She had a good quality of life from June through early February and I am grateful for the extra time with her. I miss her terribly.
On a happier note Kai is surviving the kitchen renovation. As many of you know I was having my kitchen completely renovated with the exception of tearing out the walls in January and was very concerned for Kai. The contractor actually didn’t start the project till February 3. Unfortunately Kai did not do well upstairs during our trial stay. Even though I took him up well in advanced and spent time with him up there he was not at all happy and stopped eating. After losing a couple of grams I became frightened and since I still had enough time I decided to set him up in the back room (TV room /den) at the end of the hall on the first floor since he was use to being in there with me on a regular basis. I bought an air purifier with a special filter for fumes and order remover and hooked up a mineral oil heater and a humidifier. The door is sealed off with plastic and a towel under it. The deck door is cracked ever so slightly to let in fresh air. Since I am using an electric heater I sleep on the couch to play safe. The kitchen has also been sealed off with a heavy plastic/zipper opening which I insisted was not to be opened. We have gotten through the first half of the renovation with no trouble. We are just about finished with having the cabinets installed and the appliances and countertop will be arriving this week. I am a little worried because the past three days I’ve noticed Kai is eating less and less of his chop/pellets but when I weigh him he isn’t losing any weight. I think this might be because I have been doing a lot of hand feeding since he’s been in the back room and maybe he is spoiled. I’ve decided not to hand feed and try and wait it out. What are your thoughts? Also, I was warned about the new stove. I think it’s called gas burn out? How many times do I need to use the stove once we are ready before it’s safe for Kai? I do not keep him in the kitchen but in the dinning room which off the kitchen. Thanks for any feedback back and hope all is well with you and your little babies.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. Thank you for going the extra mile for Roxie. I'm happy that you had some extra time with her.

I just hate renovations! Too much stress with the birds. I feel your pain. I take forever to get renovations done because I hate upsetting the schedule. Glad Kai is doing fairly well.

How many times do I need to use the stove once we are ready before it’s safe for Kai?
I ran our new oven on 425 for about 2 hours and we were good to go. I did remove my bird from the house when i did it and aired the house out real good before I brought him back in.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
So sorry for your loss. Thank you for going the extra mile for Roxie. I'm happy that you had some extra time with her.

I just hate renovations! Too much stress with the birds. I feel your pain. I take forever to get renovations done because I hate upsetting the schedule. Glad Kai is doing fairly well.

I ran our new oven on 425 for about 2 hours and we were good to go. I did remove my bird from the house when i did it and aired the house out real good before I brought him back in.
Thank you for you reply Karen and for your comforting words regarding my pup. She would have been 13 years today. I miss her so much. Regarding Kai, he appears to be doing ok but doesn’t like being shut up by himself in the room so I try to spend as much time in there with him as I can. We have about two more weeks to go. A bit more work on the cabinets and then the countertop. I just worry so about him. His entire routine is messed up. I will be very happy when it’s all done and over with so I can relax. My husband wants to do the two bathrooms next. I told him he has to wait till the fall. I need a break. Thank you again for your input. I will definitely take your advice on the oven.