• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just adopted a blue headed pionus

ANU9410

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
Hi everyone,

My name is Amanda. I just adopted a blue headed pionus. He is beautiful and I am very excited to welcome him into my family.

A friend of mine just recently passed away from COVID. The parrot was his and his family couldn't properly care for the parrot so I adopted him. The parrot (Fred) is 18 and was very bonded to his previous owner. Any tips or advice at making this adjustment easier on Fred is greatly appreciated. Any advice on how to bond with a parrot who was previously bonded is also appreciated.

I had a parrot as a young teen over 15 years ago, but I was a kid then and didn't have the sole responsibility of caring for and bonding with him.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome I’m sorry I have no advice to give and I’m sorry your friend died

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm elated and saddened for you both! A heart wrenching time. My advice is to go slow and be honest. (my girl knows when I am trying to put on a happy face... Not a pi, but I now think all birds are psychic and can see auras or something.)

@zoo mom has a blue boy.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am very sorry about your friend. Thank you for taking in his boy.

Pionus like to take things slow. He will likely be very and observe everything around him for a couple weeks to a few months. Remember he is mourning too. Just take it slow. Interact from a comfortable distance for him. This may mean sitting in a chair a few feet away. He he seems uncomfortable then back up. Read to him, sing to him, talk to him. As he get more comfortable you can gradually move closer.

It is ok to let him out but make sure you have plenty of time to get him back to his cage. Initially I would only give him food in his cage so he will go back when he is hungry. Cover any windows or mirrors, when he is out, to avoid flying accidents. The biggest things are time, respect, and love.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations on your new family member and my deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend, I hope you and Fred are a source of comfort for each other.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Im sorry for your loss :( at the same time, im glad for what youve gained. A Pionus is without a doubt one of the best parrot species out there.

They are (mostly) calm, independed species, and like stated above, they like to take things slow. It a good thing that he was allready bonded that should make things easier for both of you. But he needs time to mourn. So, give him threats, let him explore his surroundings on his own term. Don’t force him on your hand or anything just yet. Just let him be. Sit next to his cage and talk to him, perhaps you can share your grief with him, he understands :)

And then, in a few weeks (could take a month or two or so), you’ll probably see some change in his behaviour. He’ll be feeling more at home, getting used to his surroundings. And then you can start aproaching him :)

By that time, we are here to help you :)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I knew you were the one to tag!
Im sorry for your loss :( at the same time, im glad for what youve gained. A Pionus is without a doubt one of the best parrot species out there.

They are (mostly) calm, independed species, and like stated above, they like to take things slow. It a good thing that he was allready bonded that should make things easier for both of you. But he needs time to mourn. So, give him threats, let him explore his surroundings on his own term. Don’t force him on your hand or anything just yet. Just let him be. Sit next to his cage and talk to him, perhaps you can share your grief with him, he understands :)

And then, in a few weeks (could take a month or two or so), you’ll probably see some change in his behaviour. He’ll be feeling more at home, getting used to his surroundings. And then you can start aproaching him :)

By that time, we are here to help you :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Amanda and Fred! :starshower1:

I am so sorry for your loss.

@Fuzzy

ANU9410

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you all so much for your welcome and support. Fred and I appreciate it very much! It seemed much calmer this morning. Im looking forward to spending my evening with him when I get home.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome to the Avenue! Fred is a gorgeous boy and I’m certain he’s thankful to have an easy place to rest during this.
I can’t imagine the stress of a grieving parrot in a shelter environment, so a big thank you to you for bringing him into your life. :heart2:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

Reactions: Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to you and Fred, and thank you for giving him a home at such a sad time.

I have a four year old Bronze Wing. I agree with those above: take it slow and let him dictate the pace. Pionus often like to observe and make up their own minds about things, and they get grumpy if you try to rush them. They like to be in the same room as their favoured people but not necessarily in the middle of the action. Leia likes judging us (and the outside birds, and the street's goings-on) from a window perch. As @zoo mom said, hang out near him as close as he's comfortable. Talk to him, read out loud from a book, just be near him and let him tell you how he'd like to interact.

Despite the size of their beaks, they tend to like softer things to shred - balsa, cork, sola, palm, cardboard, pine cut against the grain. Leia sometimes likes snapping wooden beads into bits. If you're in the US, @Mizzely has a shop called Lil Monsters which caters for the wimpier beaks among us :) You can set up some foraging opportunities to help him keep active and mentally engaged - try hiding food wrapped in paper or putting it into a small cardboard box.

Pionus tend to signal their moods very clearly. If they puff up or start strutting, just leave them to it - they'll work their way out of their strop. You will soon learn to tell the difference between Fred puffing up his head feathers because he's cross vs him fluffing up his feathers because he wants a head scratch.

Pis truly are special parrots. I think everyone who has one adores them :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Thank you for taking Fred into your home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there and welcome to the Avenue!
I have a white-capped Pi age 23 and a BH age 12.
I’m sorry for your loss and your birds loss. Birds have their own pace....

I am very sorry about your friend. Thank you for taking in his boy.

Pionus like to take things slow. He will likely be very and observe everything around him for a couple weeks to a few months. Remember he is mourning too. Just take it slow. Interact from a comfortable distance for him. This may mean sitting in a chair a few feet away. He he seems uncomfortable then back up. Read to him, sing to him, talk to him. As he get more comfortable you can gradually move closer.

It is ok to let him out but make sure you have plenty of time to get him back to his cage. Initially I would only give him food in his cage so he will go back when he is hungry. Cover any windows or mirrors, when he is out, to avoid flying accidents. The biggest things are time, respect, and love.
Exactly everything Elaine said.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks for taking him in and I'm sorry about his and your friend. I've had 4 of them so far and I like them obviously. I have had just about every personality they come in at least with a Maxi but they all have similarities. Like said give him his space and let him go at his own pace. He'll get closer to you as he decides you've earned his trust and wants to interact when he's ready. If he gets fluffy and lunges or bluffs leaver him alone and he'll get over it. Remember, they can bite quite badly when they're truly scared or not happy with you.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
On the plus side, i think the Pionus is the least likely to bite, because their bodylanguage works so well :)

i have only once been “bitten” and it hardly left a mark :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for your loss. It's very nice of you to help this bird. i don't know if it's possible for you to have/get the information, but I think with any new bird, it's best to try to keep their routine as close to what it was and gradually make the changes you want as the bird becomes more comfortable. Same food, cage, toys, bedtime, etc.