• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

...just a reminder...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...yes, a reminder...Milton is still a Cockatoo...

This morning, as I was making the the bed, Milton must have assumed I needed help..so he came over and bit my right index finger, just where it bends for the first time...HARD. Two points right below the nail and one on the opposite side. The inner wound continued to bleed for a half hour, due to my medication.

Now the finger is swollen and red and won't bend..could be broken.

Anyway, Milton came over to me while I was tending to the bite. He kept cocking his head while he was looking at my finger..then...

Milton: "I DID DAT?"

Me: Yes, you did...I would appreciate it if you wouldn't do it anymore.

Milton: "OK...WHATEVER"....

Yes, he is cute...but he's still a Cockatoo...

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Honestly I can relate...Zoey bites me when she thinks I need help. When I was peeling butternut squash last night she scrambled down my arm to bite the peeler and then me for good measure. Then pooped on the cutting board like the monster she is.
When friends come over and ask if they bite I just say
"Zoey probably will. It's a sign of affection for her."
I'm not surprised they stick to holding Kate.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They do what they do and we stay on our toes just in case. Every time Dobby reached to hold my finger when he first got here I'd pull away quickly because half the time if Lurch did that a bite would follow. All poor Dobby wanted to do was hang onto my finger while I scritched with the other hand. He's the first bird I've ever had that just doesn't try to bite occasionally, even Nerd, my best bud for 31, years would bite in the right circumstances, but it was rare and easy to figure out why it happened.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ouch. Sorry. It must have been a weekend for 'too bites. Elvis split Howie's toe open. I really don't think he meant to though. I always warn Howie if Elvis is out not to sit in the chair by Elvis's cage if he's wearing black socks. Elvis thinks black socks are fun toys and he can swoop down from the cage pretty fast. Sure enough, Howie did all of the above and Elvis bit his toe, although I really think Elvis just thought he was going after a sock and didn't mean to bite. And one of the lady's at the rescue got a cockatoo bite this weekend too. Something is in the air....

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:( awww yup still has those instincts. I have to still remind my son NOT to try to touch Fred when he's sitting on me. He will bite because he thinks he's protecting me. My son says FROM WHAT....it's instinct for him. As smart as they are and even though Fred knows us all, you can't get around instinct. It's sometimes hard to believe Milton will do that, and I read the story of one cockatoo who runs around saying he's got to bite something. They must have urges.:hmmm:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Ouch. Sorry. It must have been a weekend for 'too bites. Elvis split Howie's toe open. I really don't think he meant to though. I always warn Howie if Elvis is out not to sit in the chair by Elvis's cage if he's wearing black socks. Elvis thinks black socks are fun toys and he can swoop down from the cage pretty fast. Sure enough, Howie did all of the above and Elvis bit his toe, although I really think Elvis just thought he was going after a sock and didn't mean to bite. And one of the lady's at the rescue got a cockatoo bite this weekend too. Something is in the air....
Agreed...something is in the air lately...DA BBBIIITTTEEESSS...:rofl: :be2::umbrella2::msc2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's sometimes hard to believe Milton will do that
...Milton is such an infrequent biter...because of this, I sometimes let my guard down, as in the case on Saturday.

Lesson learned (again)...account for Milton AT ALL TIMES when he's out...and he's out most of the time.

Oh yes, the finger is broken....it isn't the first time I've had a finger broken... I've broken all my fingers (except the thumbs) at one time or another. My pinkie fingers actually "clunk" when I move them...:wideyed:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You should hear the right elbow area I broke at work years ago. It sounds like sand grinding quietly against something when I rotate it. Some days I leave it in a certain position and it will go SNAP! when I finally move it. Luckily most times either noise doesn't actually hurt. Fun beating the crap outa our bodies over the years and they reward us by becoming crunchy and noisy just for entertainment.
Sucks he actually broke it but I doubt he meant to do that much damage, probably just correct a perceive wrong. Hope it heals fast and you can continue being friends as I'm sure you are with a bit of caution.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear. I hope your finger heals fast.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hope it heals fast and you can continue being friends as I'm sure you are with a bit of caution.
It's already forgotten...Milty's been over with me this morning...eating my cereal and telling me he loves me...although I think he's saying that so he can get to the cereal...;) :rofl:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's already forgotten...Milty's been over with me this morning...eating my cereal and telling me he loves me...although I think he's saying that so he can get to the cereal...;) :rofl:
Love.....

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Guess I've lucked out so far lol. Leo has never drawn blood from someone. With me, and apparently only me, he is very good about pressure. The only time he bites hard is when I'm training him and flip him on his back. I wouldn't even say it's a bite. It's more of a security finger...??? He just grips on to make himself feel safe like he won't fall or something. I don't know if I'm numb to the pain of bites though because when he nips other people they say it hurts and I have no clue if he nips them harder than me or if he nips everyone the same and I'm just use to it. Anyone else have this? Does your too bite different for other people like maybe they are gentle with some people and less so with others???

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Guess I've lucked out so far lol. Leo has never drawn blood from someone. With me, and apparently only me, he is very good about pressure. The only time he bites hard is when I'm training him and flip him on his back. I wouldn't even say it's a bite. It's more of a security finger...??? He just grips on to make himself feel safe like he won't fall or something. I don't know if I'm numb to the pain of bites though because when he nips other people they say it hurts and I have no clue if he nips them harder than me or if he nips everyone the same and I'm just use to it. Anyone else have this? Does your too bite different for other people like maybe they are gentle with some people and less so with others???
Yes, my nips from my 'too are pretty gentle. He'll break the skin with my fiancé.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh yes, the finger is broken....it isn't the first time I've had a finger broken... I've broken all my fingers (except the thumbs) at one time or another. My pinkie fingers actually "clunk" when I move them...:wideyed:

:omg: You folks have iron will and LOTS of determination! "I DID DAT?" I'd have been bawling my eyes out looking like a soap opera star gone nuts answering YES YES ::: SOB::: YOU DID ::: SNIFF ::: DATTTTT!!!
:heart: I still love you but that HURRRRRTTTT!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:omg: You folks have iron will and LOTS of determination! "I DID DAT?" I'd have been bawling my eyes out looking like a soap opera star gone nuts answering YES YES ::: SOB::: YOU DID ::: SNIFF ::: DATTTTT!!!
:heart: I still love you but that HURRRRRTTTT!!!
I really think Milton was a bit surprised that the bite happened...it sure surprised me! Like I said, it's forgotten...now onto new stuff...like Milty dumping his water dish...and laughing...;) :rofl:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Sometimes they just get startled and react then feel bad when they realize they hurt their chosen one. Lurch stopped trying as fast and hard as he used to once he decided I was OK and trustworthy, and he started warning before biting.
Dobby is so socialized and gentle he's never really bitten anyone here yet. The worst we get is a ferocious breaking and I once got a very hard pinch when I knew he was wound up and ready to go. I turned my thumbnail out as I touched him and he squished it good but I knew it was not a great idea to begin with so not his fault. Momazon has verified that he certainly will and can bite but prefers not to.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sometimes they just get startled and react then feel bad when they realize they hurt their chosen one.
...I think this is exactly what happened with Milton...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry the COCKATOO bit you and broke your finger.