• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just a question

Mochibird

Moving in
Real Name
Mochi
I current have a sweet peach faced love bird, and I’m trying to save up for a conure
I was wondering would they be safe to house near or would it be a bad idea?
Im super new so sorry if I mess this thread up ^_^

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You would have better luck sticking to same species of bird. I believe lovebirds prefer to be with other lovebirds and can be territorial with other species. @Zara

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a lovebird and a conure, as well as two linnies. Lovebirds are bullies, even to their own species sometimes. My lovebird is female, and they tend to be more aggressive than males. She can be housed next to my other birds, but I only allow her and my conure out together for short, supervised periods of time. Every bird is different though, and you really don't know until you try. But you have to be prepared for separate out of cage time and minimizing jealousy. Usually people will say to assume they won't get along but if they do, then great!

berries

Strolling the yard
Like Leih said, make sure you’re prepared for them to not get along and have adequate space between their cages if they don’t. But introducing a new bird to your current bird slowly and for short periods to begin with helps. Also making meals and treat times something they do together can help them bond, or at least get used to each other.