• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Just a heads up about field mice- Warning: Graphic Images

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Really? Vaccinations against what were once deadly diseases, treatment for some that used to be deadly, antidotes to poisons ... Please, people, jump in here and add to my list.
I’d say the simple fact that we have zoology majors indicates a desire not to destroy everything. Lol

And again, the assessment of dog attacks is wildly inaccurate. Prey drive accounts for a large volume of maulings.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Actually no, lol I have vets and dog trainers in my family and as friends. Many of the dogs who attack were never bred for, or, have lower prey drives, such as rottweilers, German shepherds, Bully breeds, chihuahuas and many many other small breeds . Most attacks come from being provoked, and while we still don't fully understand all of a dog's body langues and signals, attacks are accounted for, in the most part, dogs who are under stress, loud noises, pain which goes unchecked, illness, injury and of course, being provoked. You don't have to touch an animal to provoke them xD many distressing things humans do can lead an animal into a state of anxiousness, which makes them a ticking time bomb.

Lmbo... Uhh.. you do realize that some of the most successful illnesses, parasites and posions have NO cure or vaccine xD the lines that make up illnesses for what they are change and new strains develop xD

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yikes this thread lol. Just adding my 2cents. While I am not an expert in birds and humbly accept advice here often regarding them (thank you guys :) ) I am an expert in canines. Since I was 17 I have worked in the veterinary field. My speciality has been working with feral/aggressive dogs for over a decade now. So I feel confident enough to say that yes dog bites are always provoked obviously, but what provoked them varies greatly and is often not consciously done by people. My energy entering a room with a feral dog can, for example, set that dog to attacking. It can be completely out of the persons control if a dog attacks them because their energy is too fearful or stressed etc. I really can’t see the sense in blaming people for that happening to them. Some dogs are aggressive if you act meek like prey, while I’ve worked with others that love that and become puppies themselves. The reasons for dog bites are too varied to 100% always blame the person. Time and experience have taught me that.
I think no one here is a phsycho wishing to go out on a species specific killing spree so we can all be respectful. I’ve only seen comments from people saying they kill all the mice they can around their property.
As for mice only biting when provoked that’s not 100% accurate. (See the case studies on mice colonies attacking and eating pigs alive on farms. How did the pigs provoke the wave of mice?) I know of a woman sleeping in her bed who felt a tickle on her foot and brushed it with her other foot. It’s the middle of the night and she didn’t think anything of it. The mouse crawling over her foot took offense and bit her toe a couple times. Sure we could blame the person for “instigating this attack” but to what good? She didn’t consciously provoke the mouse. The best thing to do is make sure the mouse doesn’t enter a home or property on the first place.

Lastly, I’ve worked on animals of a multitude of species that are in pain, agonal, and they refuse to attack while I complete their procedures. A lot can be said for their individual personalities. Some species of animal, just like us, have more aggressive individuals sprinkled in with the normal. Sure it was caused by something, either nature or nurture based, but still it can’t always be laid on a persons hands. That’s a sure fire way to alienate the people you hope to educate. (Not talking to anyone specifically, just the overzealous in general)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Actually no, lol I have vets and dog trainers in my family and as friends. Many of the dogs who attack were never bred for, or, have lower prey drives, such as rottweilers, German shepherds, Bully breeds

This is so far from the truth.

I have spent the last 15 years training these 'low drive' GSDs, Rotts, and Bullies. How do you think they're trained? Prey drive is the most used tool in making happy, enthusiastic working dogs. These breeds have huge prey drive, and many of the attacks they do, are 100% because their prey drive was triggered.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'll mention a few animals who attack without being encouraged;
Bengal Tiger
Komodo Dragon
Mojave Rattlesnake
African Lion
Sharks
Bear (any kind, some species will track and hunt humans just like they would any prey)

And then there are the animals who are compromised in some way - starving, injured, sick, rabies, babies.

What human has done anything to improve the world?;
Scientists
Farmers
Doctors - both animal and human
Yes, most real teachers - those who teach the subject and not their quixotic opinions.
Everyday people like the ones who belong to this forum, who go out of their way every day to help each other and a parrot in distress.

I feel sorry for the youth of today many of whom are being taught that their own species has no value.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I'm sorry HankMacaw, but you're wrong, that is the furthest thing from the truth and so false in every way.. I spent half my adult life studying wildlife and behaviors. lol wild animals, especially predators ALL have reasons for attacking, that is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day, wild animals do not hunt down and attack humans just because, sorry, maybe that was what was thought way back, but now we know that's not the truth at all. xD as a zoologist, all wildlife, and I mean all of them (healthy) have a reason to attack, wild animals are wild,

Shark attack - Cases of mistaken Identity
Lions&Tigers&Bears - People who keep these wild animals and engage in risky behavior or wander into the bush where, of course, there are no rules, and these animals feel threatened/protective, it leads to an attack lol, always human error.
Rattle snakes never bite without warning first unless you take them by surprise lol, a snake bite is nearly always human error
Komodo - Seriously do I have to repeate what I just wrote above? same thing.

I am very educated in my field, and you're wrong, sorry, I advise you to research wildlife attacks, as all are provoked in some way. All of the things you have listed have done no good for the planet xD Science has caused more than a few disasters, farming has caused many species of wildlife to go extinct and has no benefit for the planet what so ever. Doctors? animals have gotten on for millions of years without them, and again, parrots would be in their native habitats where they belong without humans, none of the things mentioned have done any good, rather, the opposite.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
@Ocean your continued insistence that humans bring no value to the planet (go ahead and backtrack that again) has really cost you all credibility. That, along with telling people, who have more years in the fields they dispute you on than you have on this planet, they are dead wrong.

You’re not going to change anyone’s mind because you “know someone who does this who said that”. Saying a GSD does not have a high prey drive makes me recall a couple of my professors favorite quotes; “a little learning is a dangerous thing, drink deep or taste not of the pierian spring” and “it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt”.

Any herding breed worth working has a high prey drive. It’s what makes them good at their jobs. GSD’s do have a high rate of fear aggression. Fear aggression leads to UNPROVOKED ATTACKS. Provoked carries a connotation of willingness or intent.

A child riding a bicycle down a side walk beeping her little bike horn, GSD suddenly decides bicycle is scary so I will attack the thing that is peddling it....... yeah, not likely. The more plausible explanation is GSD with high prey drive sees something running and making a high pitched sound like a wounded animal so I’m going to run it down and catch it. It is worth noting that in either scenario, the child is not at fault. The child did not do anything to provoke the dog and may not have ever seen the dog. Rest assured that if the zombie apocalypse descended and our society was taken back centuries all our cuddly poodles turning feral would be one of the greatest daily dangers to humans along with all the disease brought in by those cute little mice.

Humans are the ONLY species that attempts to give all creatures a space. The big cats will kill their own parents to take over a prime location and would hunt every other predator to extinction if they were capable. We do treat illness in these animals that would otherwise lead to painful anguishing deaths. We do try to compensate for the damage our own progress causes. But again, natural selection has favored man rather than the tyranasaur. Blame Mother Nature for a bad plan, not a species for succeeding.

Take your parrot back to it’s species place of origin and release it. Never own another pet because they have all been removed from their natural environment at one time. I hope you’re vegan and eat no plant that isn’t native to your area and grown by your own hand. Because until you do that, the only thing you are being successful at is the pot calling the kettle black.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ocean your continued insistence that humans bring no value to the planet (go ahead and backtrack that again) has really cost you all credibility. That, along with telling people, who have more years in the fields they dispute you on than you have on this planet, they are dead wrong.

You’re not going to change anyone’s mind because you “know someone who does this who said that”. Saying a GSD does not have a high prey drive makes me recall a couple of my professors favorite quotes; “a little learning is a dangerous thing, drink deep or taste not of the pierian spring” and “it’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt”.

Any herding breed worth working has a high prey drive. It’s what makes them good at their jobs. GSD’s do have a high rate of fear aggression. Fear aggression leads to UNPROVOKED ATTACKS. Provoked carries a connotation of willingness or intent.

A child riding a bicycle down a side walk beeping her little bike horn, GSD suddenly decides bicycle is scary so I will attack the thing that is peddling it....... yeah, not likely. The more plausible explanation is GSD with high prey drive sees something running and making a high pitched sound like a wounded animal so I’m going to run it down and catch it. It is worth noting that in either scenario, the child is not at fault. The child did not do anything to provoke the dog and may not have ever seen the dog. Rest assured that if the zombie apocalypse descended and our society was taken back centuries all our cuddly poodles turning feral would be one of the greatest daily dangers to humans along with all the disease brought in by those cute little mice.

Humans are the ONLY species that attempts to give all creatures a space. The big cats will kill their own parents to take over a prime location and would hunt every other predator to extinction if they were capable. We do treat illness in these animals that would otherwise lead to painful anguishing deaths. We do try to compensate for the damage our own progress causes. But again, natural selection has favored man rather than the tyranasaur. Blame Mother Nature for a bad plan, not a species for succeeding.

Take your parrot back to it’s species place of origin and release it. Never own another pet because they have all been removed from their natural environment at one time. I hope you’re vegan and eat no plant that isn’t native to your area and grown by your own hand. Because until you do that, the only thing you are being successful at is the pot calling the kettle black.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When I was little, I was riding my scooter around the neighborhood when one of the neighbor's dogs came out of nowhere and attacked me. I did nothing wrong, and I believe it was this prey drive or pure aggression that led to the attack. This wasn't the first time this dog attacked someone, and it was a retriever, whose breed is labeled as gentle and friendly. Yeah right. Unprovoked attacks happen often @Ocean, and I can assure you that I was not at fault.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've lived (that means day to day, year after year) with wild animals, in the wild. I'm 58 years older than you and all of those 58 years were spent as an adult observing, participating and gaining knowledge and experience. With a fully functioning mind, and I will add, not a mind that was ever influenced by the current fad, as yours seems to be. Just so we don't get too stuck on our "School Larnin'" I possess two BS, MS and a professional certification. Unlike many who claim that education didn't do them any good - mine did do me a lot of good, but then I was educated, not indoctrinated.

Like I said I am very sorry for children like you who were trained not see any value in their own species, but then I strongly believe that many of you youngsters have had your ability to think brainwashed by false propaganda.

BTW - Your statement about no animal attacking without reason is right - I guess prey drive and eating are reasons for an animal.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
BTW - Your statement about no animal attacking without reason is right - I guess prey drive and eating are reasons for an animal.
This is exactly right. (Not that you need me to tell you lol)
Take, for example, the recent event where a woman and her young child were attacked by loose dogs in her neighborhood. She was just walking up to her front patio when the dogs attacked. She curled up over her child protecting him with her body while they continued to attack. What did she do to bring this on? I assure you those dogs prey drive was in control. The more she acted like wounded prey the more the dogs frenzy grew.
I’ll be the first to tell people not to judge based on breed if a dog will be a suitable companion or not, however you DO have to take into consideration the natural instincts inherent to a breed. My husband works with Belgian malinois (working dogs, not pets) and German shepherds and let me assure anyone they have quite the prey drive. It’s what makes them so good at their job.
Another example is if you want a dog who will be a couch potato with you but bring home a Rottweiler. If you never nurture their need to work and be productive they’ll present with many behavioral issues. You can’t ignore one side of a dogs (or any species) natural instincts in favor of another side of them. I could easily talk all day on the amazing capacity they posses to forgive and love after horrendous abuse, but there are many parts to a whole, and prey drive is just one.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Ocean when I was little, I lived in the country. Neighbors had what I think was a collie. No fence, just a ditch. I still remember all the times that butt of a dog would hop the ditch and chase me down to bite me. Never provoked the dog, never went on his property. I remember one time I was literally just picking flowers on a hill not on either of our properties and wham! My grandpa's dog had to chase him off.

Another time I was walking my little dog. He was old and focused on sniffing. The lady on the other side of the street left her gate open and her dog tore across the road and up the block to get at my dog.

Then there's Bianco up the street. He attacks ANYONE and bit my mom while she walked by. Little prat slipped his harness, bit my dog in the face and attacked my Yorkie. My pit was just sitting at my side, doing nothing, my Yorkie was sniffing at a pole.

My Yorkie even turned around and lunged for my aunt's pit to try and bite her face. Gracie is an old girl, and I can assure you she didn't provoke Marshall and that Mooshie was and still is healthy. Gracie was just on her leash walking with us at my other side. He'd spent time with her before and had absolutely no reason to consider her a threat.

Quit saying that all dog bites are either provoked or only caused by unhealthy animals. All four dogs I posted about were healthy dogs with no reason to attack. Me and my dogs have other bite stories.