• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Just a heads up about field mice- Warning: Graphic Images

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
3wks ago I had a snake under my aviary so I removed it. Inside my aviary was a tiny mouse hiding from it, eating what he thought was his last supper! What I didn't know was that it was my baby pigeon The next day i saw my birds skull!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:omg:That’s awful. I’m so sorry for your loss. It looks like you have some work to do asap on your aviary.

BirdLover29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah
Oh no! Did you take her to the vet?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh thank heavens she's still alive! Not at all what I was picturing from your description, though still very sad. And to think you thought you were saving that poor helpless mouse not knowing it was a monster! :depressed: At least you'll know to remove both trespassers next time!

Can you think of any way to make the aviary pest-proof or at least resistant? Both of those intruders can climb.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
OMG!!! How awful and shocking. I am glad the baby will be okay.

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
I am the process of making a bigger one. This one has flooring but some of the wood warped. The new one is not going to have flooring in it but I am going to use garden clothe and the walls are going to be about a foot and a half in the ground. I want there to be forage this time

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh my, I thought she had passed. I’m so glad she’s okay, poor little bird!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh thank heavens she's still alive! Not at all what I was picturing from your description, though still very sad. And to think you thought you were saving that poor helpless mouse not knowing it was a monster! :depressed: At least you'll know to remove both trespassers next time!

You wouldn't say that if it was wearing short pants and dancing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its healing well so maybe it got lucky as its the bacteria that kills them not the wound itself.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
A mouse did that?! I knew they could get into grain and food but didn't know they were aggressive. Glad you got to your baby bird in time and that she is going to be alright.
Mice will eat, anything, and I do mean ANYTHING. A young bird would be great as a meal. Most urban critters are like mice.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I knew big brother 'rat' would eat anything it can outrun, didn't know that about mice. Thank you for telling me.
One of the houses we lived in had 2 basements and I found the mice had tried to eat the Brillo pads ...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The mice need to go, however you can do it. We had mice at Liberty wildlife years ago, they would come at night and kill our orphans, we found many headless, babies and babies that look like your pidge. They chewed through thru the soft wire on the encloses and thru the " rubbermaid " containers we kept the tiny babies in..we killed them,,sorry, but, baby songbirds, kestrel, hummingbirds are way more important to us..