• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

June 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Britnicorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Britnicorn is June's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two parakeets! Phoenix (the green one) is 4 months old as of May 20th, and Raijū is probably around 2-3 months old (I don’t know his age for sure, but he’s definitely a bit younger than Phoenix)

2. What got you interested in birds?

Phoenix did. I was told he was going to die because his mom rejected him and his siblings were pushing him away just a few hours after he hatched. Phoenix and I met when he was about 4 hours old. I wasn’t a big bird person before Phoenix came into my life(I sure am, now!), but I could never let any creature die if I could do something about it.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Simply put, they have brought me so much joy. Quarantine and college together were making my life so rough, I’m not sure where I’d be now if Phoenix and Raijū didn’t come into my life.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

They’ve taught me so much. Before them I was just your average teenager- always procrastinating, sleeping in until noon, staying up past ungodly hours, I never had any time management skills, but Phoenix and Raijū have brought structure and routine to my life. They get me up in the mornings and force me to have some sort of schedule, which is so helpful for college.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

So many. My favorite one that always makes me tear up thinking about it is when Phoenix copied me for the first time. I’ll never forget it. He must have been 3 and a half weeks old, in his brooder, and he copied one of the whistle tunes I always sang him. He has such a big vocabulary now.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My bedroom… my birds take up more room in here than I do now! I’m currently home with my parents, but in a few months, I’ll be moving into my home. I'm hoping to have a separate room for them!

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

A lot. I even bought my parents a new oven because the last one they were using had Teflon in it. I also had to sell a lot of my belongings, rearrange so many things, and when Phoenix was a hatchling I had the heat in my room set to 95F because I didn’t trust the first heat pad I was using. The first few weeks with Phoenix were awful, but so worth it.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Other than this forum, nope. Although I think I might look into some clubs at my school now that I think about it.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Gosh, it would be so cool to have a huge room full of real trees/plants for them. Maybe one day I could pull it off

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I’ve always wanted a macaw. I love them so much, they’re gorgeous and have even more personality than some people I know. Realistically, though, I can’t see myself ever owning one.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I wake them up at around 10am every day, Raijū gets uncovered first and he dances around the cage for a bit, then Phoenix gets uncovered too- Phoenix is not a morning bird at all! He sits there staring at me with fluffy cheeks while I talk to him for a bit. I empty their pellet bowls and refill them then too.

I leave them be until about 1pm, and I make them lunch. It’s always some sort of chop, just whatever I have around the house. I make them dinner at about 6pm, they usually get an egg or a different variety of chop depending on the day. Phoenix is so picky about how his veggies are- I have to give him whole pieces as well as finely sliced chop of each veggie he gets. Then Phoenix gets seeds at about 9pm (Raijū has seeds all day because he’s not used to eating veggies yet)

I put them to bed at 10pm. Phoenix has to be whistled Jingle Bells every night, otherwise, he won’t go to his cage and he will scream and cry. It’s sort of sweet because that was the song I would whistle to get him to stop crying when he was a hatchling.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They need a lot more than what the pet stores/google sites say! Especially the smaller birds. I even used to think Parakeets were one of the easy pets, but not at all. I suppose they’re easy if you don’t want any sort of relationship with them...

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Almost every day I regret feeding Phoenix so much when he was a hatchling, he was severely underweight at 5 days old. He got an overstretched crop from it, and his crop is still too big for him. The vet says he will always be like that

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I play the piano and have been for 16 years. I also do art, game, needle felt, and gardening. I also spend a lot of time caring for the other pets we have around the house (we have a bunny, four dogs, and four cats… don’t worry, they’ve never even seen the birds)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

If it weren’t for this forum and all the amazing people giving such great advice, Phoenix wouldn’t have made it. There’s absolutely no way I could have done it alone, and I cannot thank everyone enough for all of the advice, support, and encouragement I received (and still receive!!)

image0.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Britney! :yah: :starshower: :bliss:

You know... you are only young still, maybe down the road in your future things will change and you may just bring home a macaw - who knows! :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Congratulations Britney! :yah: :starshower: :bliss:

You know... you are only young still, maybe down the road in your future things will change and you may just bring home a macaw - who knows! :)
We all love the entire Phoenix story and the care that you provided. You are such a wonderful and caring bird parront! Congratulations to Brit...You deserve all of it! :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well oops. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.