• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

June 2018 Mayor of the Avenue... jennluna (Jenn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that jennluna is June's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Luna, TAG, approximately 8 years old; Faust, BTM, 6 months old

2. What got you interested in birds?

My ex husband and I had a military couple we were friends with who owned a CAG named Remington who was the first parrot I had ever been around. He fascinated me but l had no idea at first how truly bad his living conditions were. His owners put on a good show for us at first but as they got more comfortable with us they let the facade slip. I had been learning more about parrots in the meantime since I was so interested, and had gotten Luna. I ended up rescuing Remington later. That thread is somewhere here on AA. We weren’t friends with those people for long.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

So much. Companionship, meaning, a bond I’ve never had with people. After my marriage with me ex ended and I was ill with stomach cancer Luna gave me a reason to get up and be useful.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

How really, really intelligent parrots are. Smarter than a lot of people I’ve known. :lol:Mostly though, that being a parront is different than any other species I’ve ever encountered. They’re just incredibly special.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time Luna said “I love you.” And how she used to eat all the erasers off of my ex-husband’s mechanical pencils while she laughed like an evil scientist. So two memories.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Living room, I like them to be part of everything that goes on. Of course it helps that we have a really big living room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birdsand if so what kinds of things did you change?

The usual things—cookware, candles, etc.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just AA.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Ceiling flyers.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

A Greenwing or Hyacinth. I love the big guys, they’re so laid back and beautiful.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I only work 4 hours a day at the post office, so when I get up I change water and give fresh food and chop, throw some foot toys in the cages and head to work. When I get home it’s out of cage time until bedtime. Both birds are fully flighted but Luna is tame (whatever word you like for that) and Faust isn’t. I’m working on gaining his trust still.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Buy the biggest cage you can afford (or better yet be cage free), be prepared to go to the poor house, and buy ear plugs.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would’ve never let anyone say the words “you’re a pretty bird” in my house EVER. Lol

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I read, a lot. The post office I work at doesn’t have WiFi and it’s very slow. After I post the mail for the day and do the paperwork I have about 3 hours to do whatever I want. I also have insomnia. It’s not unusual for me to read a book a day on my kindle.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I’m really happy to still be here and I really enjoy AA. Thank you! :hug8:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats5:
I enjoyed reading your interview!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart2: Great interview! And so happy to hear you were able to rescue Remington :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Neat interview! :goodjob: I'm off to find Remington's thread.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Neat interview! :goodjob: I'm off to find Remington's thread.
If you want his whole story look for the rehoming thread that broke my heart too. I had to rehome Remington and Savannah M2 when I got diagnosed with stomach cancer. It was really devastating. I still miss those two, especially my sweet, sweet girl Savannah. No sweeter M2 ever existed. :sad4::sad2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I loved the interview.

I read a lot too. Read way too fast for my own good.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I
If you want his whole story look for the rehoming thread that broke my heart too. I had to rehome Remington and Savannah M2 when I got diagnosed with stomach cancer. It was really devastating. I still miss those two, especially my sweet, sweet girl Savannah. No sweeter M2 ever existed. :sad4::sad2:
I read them both. The one where you saved Remington from that awful woman was hard to read, but I kept reading knowing how it turned out. :popcorn:

And I'm glad you were able to find great homes for both birds, Luna got an upgrade and you started feeling better, but I'm sorry for the whole heartbreaking ordeal. You are one strong lady! :toyou:

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Thanks. It was hard but I have to just keep telling myself everything happens for a reason. Someone else must have needed Remington and Savannah in their lives more than me. Or at least I really hope that’s so.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's exactly how I believe things work!! :hug8: Even when we can't be their forever homes, we are instrumental in getting them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.