• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures June 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - Sarahmoluccan

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
June 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member

@Sarahmoluccan (Sarah)

:congrats5:

Bird Room Setup
1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have a Moluccan Cockatoo, Zane, and an Umbrella Cockatoo, Echo. The bird room they are in was set up for them. :)

Echo preening Zane:
Echo Preening Zane.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
Somewhat. Zane has his challenges, plus we believe him to be a senior bird. I keep his layout simple and have the perches as close to the bottom of his cage and keep most of his toys on his "play wall". There is a homemade pad at the bottom too. He used to fall all the time. It was horrible - he'd fall 5 times or more at night. Thankfully he doesn't fall as much anymore. :D Because he still has the odd fall, mostly due to clumsiness now, I place his perches so that hopefully he doesn't bump his head on anything on the way down.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Searching for used stainless steel cages in Kijiji or Craig's list. You have to be careful dealing with those types of sites, sadly there are many scams. But I loooove my stainless steel cages. I can't believe I have two of them now and what a deal they were. One of them was 4 hours away but it was so worth it. The cages are probably my biggest find. Goodwill and places like that can be a good place to pick up baby toys for cheap if your birds are into those types of things. I also love kabobs and skewers. They are a great way make simple toys and always handy.

Zane's cage:
Zane Cage.jpg
Zane Cage2.jpg

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
Things pretty much stay the same. Sadly the bird room isn't as big as I'd like it to be. So things kind of have to stay where they are.
Bird Room.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
The cages I got off of Kijiji. I had to scrub them down like crazy when I got them. For toys, toy parts, clean supplies and perches I tend to stick with Canadian suppliers. Unfortunately with shipping and the exchange rate make things out of my price range. Still I love window shopping in all our vendors stores! And of course I buy at the Canadian ones: The Parrot Shop, Things for Wings and Oliver's Garden. :heart:

Play area in Zane's cage:
Zane Play Area in Cage.jpg

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
OG's Christmas Douglas fir was a big hit, and her Spring Posey and Flower box were too. They also loved T4W's baskets and fences. The Mother's day Bouquet Shredder is such a favorite here too.

Inside Echo's cage:
Echo Cage inside.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what are your birds' favorites and were there any failures?
I have fun with DIY toys, T4W has definitely inspired me to up my game. :roflmao: There have been lots of failures. My favorites so far have been the Christmas presents on skewers, Easter basket and a pot flower.
Toy-Xmas Present on Skewer.jpg
Toy-Basket.jpg
Toy-Flower Pot.jpg

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your birds take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I've tried plastic or acrylic foraging toys in the past. I think Zane's a little too old to sit and try to figure out a puzzle toy. And Echo hates plastic or acrylic, and actually got really violent with one toy that I had to take it out in fear he'd hurt himself. But they love little willow or palm baskets or boxes. They have great fun pulling those apart and seeing what's in them.

Echo:
Echo.jpg

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Zane's falling was hard to come up with a solution for. At first it was just dog bed cover in garbage bags. But that got too difficult to keep clean. Now we have a pad made with big puzzle pieces, you're meant to do yoga or something on them. My mom, (my mom is such a great grandma to my birds :heart:) and I cut out the right shape we needed and then duct taped part of a tarp to the bottom and these plastic dinner place mats to the top. so it would be waterproof and easy to clean. I still put a garbage bag on it just in case.
Next would be keeping up with all the dust!! Two cockatoos in a smallish room equal lots and lots and lots of dust!! Getting an Austin Air purifier has helped a lot. I could have gotten a small one but I figure it was probably bigger was better. So I have one that can handle more than the size of my bird room.
Zane Pad.jpg
Zane Pad2.jpg

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
Space. I always want more space. I'll daydream about winning the lottery and designing my perfect bird room and having aviaries! :cloud9: Second to that would be where it is, upstairs front side of the house. Their calls carry so far so I worry about noise complaints in the summer.

Sleeping Echo:
Echo Sleeping.jpg

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
Probably Echo's cage, it's a good size, 4 feet by 3 feet. Of course you always want something bigger but I can't imagine cleaning a cage bigger that. And it fits lots of toys and perches.
Echo Cage.jpg

12~ Did your birds take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
When we moved, Zane went through a phase where he was constantly taking off his E-collar. He did so much damage he'll probably need surgery. :( It's starting to get better now. And I'm on a quest to make a Zane proof collar. :)
Zane.jpg

13~ Any future renovations planned?
Nothing too exciting. :lol:Get it a little more organized. I want to hang up some pictures and add some parrot safe plants to the bird room. My grandma left me some nice pots to put them in. I love the idea of have some of my grandma's things in the bird room. She was a huge animal and nature lover. :heart: I would bring Zane to visit her. :loveshower:

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing your setup with us! I enjoyed reading about it.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Enjoyed reading your interview.
Congratulations!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Congrats. You're a confirmed lifer. :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great post!!!
:omg:
I am going to copy you!!!!
Thanks!! :ashamed1: I love your toys so much And so do Echo and Zane. You really do inspire me to be much more creative :)

I finally got my first plant for my birdroom and it's a tree!! A hibiscus tree. It was on sale and not in greatest shape but its nice.
20170601_163502.jpg 20170601_163747.jpg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Nice! The hibiscus will be hard to keep alive indoors in the winter, but it's possible. And the birds should enjoy playing with the blooms!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Nice! The hibiscus will be hard to keep alive indoors in the winter, but it's possible. And the birds should enjoy playing with the blooms!
Hopefully I can keep it alive for a long time. It looks like it was in full bloom a little while back. I think that's why it was on sale. It was only $22. :) I've already given it a name.:lol:I know its a bit silly but I'm calling her Molly after Moluccan. I believe there are native Hibicus in Indonesia. I don't know if there are any in the Moluccan islands but I'd like to think so. That's where Zane is from. I'd like to think I'm bring a bit of home back to him :heart:

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think they need humidity to make it indoors over the winter. It will drop leaves and look like crap, but don't give up on it. My friend has several she's had for years.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great read, congrats!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My birds like to eat the flowers. I give the blossoms for a treat once in awhile. Hibiscus is loaded with phyto nutrients.
Do you know if they can eat the leaves? Zane very much wants to eat the leaves :) He's had a couple nibbles already and I know they are parrot safe. But is ok to give him a leave as a treat?