• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

June 2012 Mayor of the Avenue..... Pat (Birdlvr466)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Pat (Birdlvr466) as June's "Mayor of the Avenue" :heart:

Please join me in welcoming her
:cheer:

Thank you Pat for letting us get to know you a little more, I loved your interview!
:marlenesmile:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Tequila, Quaker is 12 years old, Carlos, African Grey is 10 years old and Mango, Sun Conure is 6 years old

2. What got you interested in birds?

Honestly that is a good question. When we first got married, we got a parakeet and named him Popper. We used to go to pet stores and there was a big store in New Hampshire that had all kinds of birds. I remember my husband looking at a conure that was $300.00 and saying he would like one and I said "yea, like we would spend that much on a bird" :lol:It just evolved from our budgie. We got another budgie after Popper passed away named Hector. Then from there we got our Cockatiel Rico, and then onto the three we have today.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Oh our birds have brought so much joy, knowledge, love, higher understanding of life, they have been such a blessing in my life.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned a lot of things. I have learned about unconditional love, holistic healing, patience and the joy that animals bring into our lives.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I would say one of my biggest memories is when Tequila had pneumonia and nursing him back to health. That was a real bonding and learning experience for me.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Our birds now have our former living room as their room. That is where I spend all of my time when I am home.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes for sure. We turned our attached garage into a family room so I could have our former living room as the bird room. Doors are always locked, screen doors locked if doors are open. I have a curtain as a barrier in between the backdoor and the screen door for safety measures. No more candles, self cleaning oven function, all natural cleaning products, no Teflon cookware. Everything that is brought into the house is always thought with their safety in mind.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am a member of The World Parrot Trust. Other than AA I am not in any group.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love a Flyer and to be able to hang things from the ceiling. I also would love to have an outdoor enclosure that would be attached to the birdroom where they could hang out.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Well, I have always dreamed of owning a Blue and Gold Macaw. They are just so beautiful and smart. Honestly all my birds were dream birds so am very happy with my flock that I have.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Well we don't have a terribly exciting life. During the work week, they are usually awake by 5:30-6am. I uncover them, fill their dry dishes and then get ready for work. Tequila comes out while I get their fresh food ready, change water dishes and then off to work. When I get home, Tequila comes out while I make dinner. After dinner while my husband cleans up the kitchen, I clean cages, change food and water and then time for all to have some time with me. I spend the evening in the birdroom watching TV and hanging out with the birds. They go to bed around 9pm. On the weekends we tend to stay home to be with the pets. They get extra attention on the weekends, showers, baths and special treats.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Gosh, I guess that they are a very specialized companion to have and you really need to read up on the species of birds you have to give them the best life you possibly can. They are very smart creatures that need lots of love, interaction, and care to thrive.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Oh boy, I wish I could have a do over with our budgies and even our Cockatiel. So much I didnt know about diet, and home hazards I feel like I failed them as an owner.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Well I have my jewelry design business, Mango Gyrl Designs. I love to read, cook and garden.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would just like to say that finding fellow bird lovers on the internet was one of the best things that has happened to me as a bird owner. I love our community at Avian Avenue and dont know what I would do without all of you. Thanks so much for reading about me and our flock. :hug8:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Congrats!!!!! :dance4: Loved the interview!!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Congrats Pat! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Great interview!

Matt

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Way to go Pat!!!! :dance4::dance5::dancing::laughing12::heart::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:loveshower: Big congrats Pat! Your interview is terrific! :hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yay Pat.... Awesome choice

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::dance4:CONGRATS:dance4::dance4::dance4:Great interview:hug8::hug8::hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Big Congratulations Pat:hug8::hug8:loved the interview.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Congrats Pat, what a wonderful interview :hug8::hug8::hug8: A wonderful choice:hug8::hug8::hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:laughing12::dance5::dance4: Congrats Pat!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats! :bluhug::dance4:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name