• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jumping off cage

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just curious here. Anyone have amazons that jump off the cage and if so, why and how did you get them to stop?

I'm blessed. Secret's only recent escapade was to climb down of her small stand and walk to her cage and climb in. I was trying to cook and didn't have time to give her pellets in the living room and hang out with her!!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not an Amazon, but my B&G Macaw JaKhu. Got her at age 4 months. She refused to stay on her cage & would go looking for anything to destroy. I kept putting her back, saying "get back on your cage, or I'll get your butt feathers". I'd set her back on her cage & give her a quick tap under her tail, which she hated. My previous macaw was the same. Eventually both learned they had to stay on the cage or get locked in. It got to the point I could let JaJaBinks (previous macaw) out unattended for hours & she'd stay on her cage. Once we went away & I forgot to close her in, came back 3 hours later & there she was sitting in her cage, door open. JaKhu now stays on her cage & goes in when she's ready. I still keep a close watch on her, as she's only 3 years old & still testing me & learning the boundaries.

So basically keep putting your bird back. If he/she keeps jumping off, then lock in for a bit. Eventually they learn they have to stay put.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge