• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

July 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Peachfaced (Sadie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Peachfaced is July's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Sherbet "Sherbie" is a female Peachfaced Lovebird, and will be 7 years old in August. Rupert is a male Greencheek Conure, and is 7 years old.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I'm not sure what exactly piqued my interest, but a close friend and I had talked extensively about having birds if we decided to room together. We ended up never sharing living quarters, but I did wind up with birds not too many years later.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

I can't begin to tell you how much they mean to me. Whenever I've been dragged away for vacation, or have been apart from them, my heart just aches. They are family, and I would move mountains for them.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience! Patience is not one of my virtues, but you absolutely have to be patient with them. Your relationship with them will blossom if you are patient and kind.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time Rupert let his guard down, and he cozied up to my hand and purred... it made my whole year.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

In the spare bedroom.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Mostly just standard ones; Stainless steel cookware, cleaning the oven myself instead of using the self cleaning feature, using safe cleaning products around the birds, etc.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just AA!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I'd love an outdoor walk-in aviary!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

For some reason, a Mini Macaw really appeals to me. If I had more room, I would likely get another Cheekie, though. They are such fun.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I wake up to the sound of the Sherbie alarm clock most mornings. I have to let Rupert out immediately, because he refuses to poop in his sleep cage. I brush my teeth, sort my tangled hair, and sit with the birds for a bit, until they start giving me pleas for breakfast. Rupert is sweet about it... Sherbie just gives me the stink eye and fusses at me.

I make the birds breakfast, and try to convince Rupert to eat by himself, because he really wants an audience when he eats. I get coffee for myself and begin work for the day. Since I work at home, I can generally hear the flock calls, and can check in on them as needed. I take occasional breaks from work, have lunch, and sit or play with the birds. Back to work until I make dinner and feed the birds again. They have snacks before bedtime. Sherbie will yell at you if you are even a minute late for anything related to the bird schedule. She is the most punctual animal I have ever seen. Rupert would rather stay up all night, and fall asleep in a human's lap... so I usually have to hide treats in his sleep cage to coax him.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

It is a unique experience to share a bond with a bird, and it's not a life for everyone.

They are very smart and complex individuals, and you have to be willing to learn and adapt as time goes on.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I probably would have waited another year or so before bringing home my first, though I am a very thorough researcher, and I'm stubborn, so I probably would have ignored my own advice. :rolleyes:

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Art and singing for sure. I do enjoy some games as well - like tabletop ones, and stuff like Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing. I love reading and learning.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I can't see myself not having birds. They are so silly, and they bring me such joy. I don't go a single day without laughing at their antics. It's not always a walk in the park, but the good times make it all worthwhile.

This community has helped me through good times and bad. We commiserate, we laugh, we share ideas and stories, and we support each other when our hearts are broken. I'm so grateful to be a part of it all.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
Very well deserved for sure, and I really loved reading your interview!’:heart:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
This was such a great interview to read! Congratulations.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Sadie!!! :loveshower: :heart2: :yah:

Status
Not open for further replies.