• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

July 2020 Mayor of the Avenue... Monaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Monaco is July's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Monaco, Eclectus, 21
Juan Canary Melonius Thunk, (color type) Fife canary, I'm not sure about his age but he started to sing around February just before I got him.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My grandmother first with a green (probably a conure) guy who would ride around on her when I was little, and her aviary of finches. Then my dad with his fancy banty chickens and his cockatiels. Eventually I worked in a pet store in Houston that specialized (I'm not sure if past tense is correct, they might still be there) in birds. That's where I met the male Eclectus and a little pionus who began my fascination with parrots, but especially ekkies. It's also where I realized the commitment required to make such intelligent beings happy and healthy. It took almost 20 years to decide I was up for the challenge and I joined AA and brought Monaco home last October.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Mess, patience, beauty, appreciation for small wins, no room in the fridge or freezer, bins of supplies in my living room, shower curtain rods and rope across doorways, endless rolls of vet wrap, weird looking furniture linked to cages, enough newspaper to rival a hoarder I knew in Houston (kidding, but seriously, I could build a new couch out of newspaper and I may need to), laughter and strange conversations (sometimes I'm included!), and all of you, your support and friendship!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Deep appreciation for their sensitivity and intelligence, and elation when they trust me enough to interact and consider me their flock. Patience. More patience. A different sense of time. Compassion and empathy on a deeper level. And, how to relearn all of these things every day. I'm getting better at training techniques, and enjoying the difference it makes and confidence and bond it builds for both of us.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The moment that Monaco bowed her head obviously asking for a neck rub. They're not allopreeners, so it was so very special. It only lasted a moment, but I will never forget it.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Her day cage is in the living room, and we spend a lot of time there. She's got paths to get to various perches and play stands, and has free roam access most of the time. She tells me when she wants a ride to the bedroom and her sleep cage.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh dear... I have a little bit of house left for me and the foster dog and the fish tank! Rods, ropes, play stands, and cages all connected for my flightless red beast!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

AA, the world parrot trust, and I got cleared to visit the rescue in Tulsa right before the virus hit, so I haven't been able to go yet.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I really want an aviary in the garden. Monaco loves to go outside with me, and I would love her to be able to have plenty of space outside while I garden or to just make some D3 with her.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Gosh. I've been in awe of Patagonian conures, cags, and mealy Amazons. But probably that ekkie male I met years ago, because of the connection we made.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I start with breakfast for Monaco (tiny bits set aside for the Melon) which is usually a mix of fruits (mango, grapes, papaya, melon, etc.) I replace all of the water dishes because it is likely Mel has bathed in them, even the tiny ones on the play stand. Monaco gets a few Roudybush pellets in her tops pellets (that she occasionally drops into her water, but I doubt she eats them) and I hide her seed mix and a few more pellets in her foraging toys. Mel gets his seeds changed and his tiny plate of whatever Monaco has, then I hang greens and millet for him in various places because he is foraging now too! Lunch is usually grapes, change the water again because Mel has probably been in it again, and Monaco has made pellet soup. Dinner is usually warm squash and /or sweet potato and sometimes lovely wild rice or quinoa with whatever vegetable I'm trying to get them to eat chopped very small. Did I mention the water dishes? We play around watching the fish tank and do flapping games frequently throughout the day, and sometimes I play music for a while. I use almonds for treats and to help me shape behaviors...unless she wants cashews...unless she wants papaya...unless she wants walnuts... LOL!
I forgot to mention the skewers... I fill them, but it's still not something she uses every day...yet! She talks about life and to me quite a bit, and most of the day spent with her is vocal and endearing.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

It can be magical, heartbreaking, frustrating, painful, fun, delightful, expensive, enriching, long suffering, deeply loving, and much more!

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would not wait. I would go right to my job and take that guy home 20 years ago!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I've just started violin lessons with an AA member! I keep goats and a little garden, chickens, and a koi pond. I like fiber arts, painting, reading, and movies.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I'm grateful for the people and birds I've met on the avenue!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :starshower1: :yah:

I really enjoyed reading your interview!! :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Fantastic!!! Congratulations @Monaco! :dancing:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I throughly enjoyed reading your interview!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Thanks guys! I was surprised to see the questions in my inbox. At first glance I was sure I was in trouble for something! :wideyed:

I don’t think we would be such a happy couple if I hadn't joined AA, and learned so much from everyone here! I'm so grateful for everyone, sharing knowledge and experiences, and the atmosphere here. You've all contributed to our wins and commiserated our setbacks. This is a special place.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great interview!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month