• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures July 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - JosienBB

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
July 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member

@JosienBB (Angela)
:congrats5:
Living Room Setup for Multiple Birds
1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have three small conures (green cheek, black capped and painted) and a hawkhead parrot. I designed the setup for these four parrots.
3 conures.jpg
Target-HH.JPG

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
I buy in bulk to save on shipping costs and I purchased all my cages (with the exception of the aluminum cage) in the US when the exchange rate was still at par (cages were much cheaper in the US when the dollar was at par).

Josie and BB’s cage on the left, Ophelia’s cage on the right:
Cages1.JPG

Close-up of Josie and BB’s cage:
Cages2-JosieBB.JPG

Close up of Ophelia’s cage:
Cage3-Ophelia.JPG

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
My setup is mostly stationary, except for the occasional toy rotation. I find the birds don’t go through toys as fast outside their cages, so I don’t even need to change up the toys too often. They prefer the setup as is so I don’t make too many changes to the layout. I have, however, switched up the cages a bit in the past year. I sold Target’s old Avian Adventures cage, which she hated, and moved her into Josie and BB’s King’s cage. I then moved Josie and BB into an aluminum cage that I purchased second hand.

Target’s cage:
Cage4-Target.JPG

Target’s old cage:

Cage-oldTarget.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

I purchased most of my items from Oliver’s Garden, Things for Wings, and Mother Pluckin’ Bird Toys. I also occasionally order from Drs. Foster and Smith – they sell the bird kabobs, the only toy that really interests BB, at a great price, and I buy in bulk when they go on sale.

I purchased the metal Avian Adventures playstand from Petsolutions.com and the applewood tree stand from a local company called “Crafted Tree Products.”

Metal playstand:
Playstand-metal.JPG

Wood playstand:
Playstand-wood.JPG

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
That would have to be the Atoms from Mother Pluckin’ Bird Toys. I am very sad that they are no longer now – I would like to have purchased more. The Atoms are the most used items in the bird room.
Atom1.jpg
Atom2.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
I’m not very good at DIY, so the majority of my toys are store-bought. I do, however, have lots of toy making supplies in the *event* that I might feel like DIY-ing, so there’s that LOL.

I have made a climbing net out of manila rope in the past, which has now been discarded because it was a poop magnet!

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I’ve yet to find a foraging toy that my birds can figure out. I don’t think age or inactivity is a factor, they’re just not very smart! LOL! That, and they’re not food motivated because they get everything delivered to them! I should start withholding treats and incorporate them into foraging toys.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Two of my birds make a habit of attacking my dad, and he doesn’t stand for it because he’s not a bird person. As a result, I have had to block off the living room with a curtain. When the birds are not out, I just push the curtain aside.
Curtain.jpg

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
I dislike the small space I have to work with, especially now that I have to block off the living room (the birds used to enjoy going into the kitchen). I would love to move into a larger space, but that’s a pipe dream as of now. We have, however, talked about converting the basement into a bird room, so there’s that possibility in the future.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
There isn’t much I especially like about my setup, to be honest. Things are not ideal, but it is what it is and we make it work.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
All birds took to the setup right away. Age is not a factor because while my conures are all young (around 5 years old), Target is older at 18 and she still took to the setup right away.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
As stated above, I plan to renovate the basement into a birdroom in the future.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Nice setup.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
awesome setup!!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very nice setup.
Your babies are beautiful!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary

You have an awesome set up! I'm impressed, especially since, as you were saying, you had limited space to work with. Very nice! :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats! So would you prefer aluminum cage over stainless steel? I'm still debating cages in my head.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing your setup with us.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone for your comments. :)

@Clueless I don't know if I'd prefer aluminum over SS (I've never had an SS cage). I have to say, the aluminum cage attracts poop like crazy, though, and it's so hard to get off! I'd still want an SS cage in the future (they don't make aluminum cages the size I want, at least not yet -- not counting Bennett cages of course, which are waaaay out of my price range).

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@JosienBB
I really like your curtain idea! Plus I like that it still lets light through so it doesn't feel closed off.
And Target is gorgeous! :wideyed:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JosienBB
I really like your curtain idea! Plus I like that it still lets light through so it doesn't feel closed off.
And Target is gorgeous! :wideyed:
Thanks!

Unfortunately, Ophelia has figured a way around the curtain. First, she simply walked underneath it (there was a tiny space between the floor and the bottom of the curtain). We blocked it off with a board, and then she started escaping through the space between the wall and the curtain at the top. We blocked that off too with cardboard, and now she's discovered that she only needs to push aside the edge of the curtain to go through. We've taped up sides of the curtain to the wall so she can't do that anymore, but I'm sure she'll find some way around that too soon. She's too smart for her own good!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! Great set up!