• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

July 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight (Birdasaurus /Andrea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am very happy to highlight Andrea's (Birdasaurus) setup for our 2012 July's Feathered Estates! She has put together a fun family room setup for multiple birds environment to ensure her fids get plenty and exercise while having lots of fun!
:starshower: :giveme5: :bounce7:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have 14 birds: Budgies, Lovebird, Black-Capped conure, Hahns Macaw, Patagonian conure and African Grey. Our birdroom is set up for all of them, but the outside setup is designed for our larger birds, and only Tango and Honu actually use it.

View of the whole room

Honu

Tango

Cosmo

Lucky and Petey

The Budgies

The outside play area

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
I have handicapped budgies, so their cage is set up for them. There are platforms to accommodate Pi with one leg since he likes to lay down at times, and the grate is covered in foam wrapped in fleece (covered in a nylon fabric for easy cleaning) so his foot doesn’t slip through the grate and also to cushion Max who has a permanently broken wing when he falls. An inside look the cage is shown below.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Outside setups are a great way to use toys that aren’t “safe” for unsupervised cage time. So all of those toys that still have too much stuff on them to throw out, but you aren’t comfortable with your bird having them alone are a great way to accessorize trees and climbing nets if you are always in the room when birds are out.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
It primarily stays the way it is except for the toys being rotated. Soon there will be a change as we swipe out the PVC gym for another tree that will be made from grapevine perches via a suggestion on a playtree thread.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
The PVC came from Home Depot, and was really cheap to make. The only downside is that it falls apart easily without gluing it. The tree was a great steal off CraigsList from someone who bought it too large for their bird’s feet. The atom (and Tango’s favorite!) was from MotherPluckin’ Bird Toys and while I hesitated on the price, it was well worth it! The toys are from all over the place, but I usually buy the majority of my birdy stuff from My Safe Bird Store.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
Definitely the atom! Tango loves hanging upside down from it and singing, sleeping on it, flapping to turn himself in circles….the fun never ends!

7~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
The only foraging toys I have constantly set up are buckets on the outside playstand. Both Honu and Tango are the only ones who really took to it, and that was mostly to throw things around and empty the bucket. Typical messy birds!

8~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
The playstand makes it so hard to clean Tango’s cage because his grate and tray are too large to squeeze past it. And when I vacuum, he’s close enough to always bite me on the butt! lol

9~ What do you like most about your setup?
I really like how it fits into our room. Maybe I really am a crazy bird lady, but I feel like it’s a fun birdy station that actually fits into our décor.

10~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Everyone took to their cages and placement really well when we moved in. Most of my birds are youngins so that probably does have something to do with it. For the outside playstand, Honu took to it right away as adventure is his style. Tango took a little bit longer to explore the whole thing, and still balks at things when I change them. I once put a talking toy on the net and he steered clear of it until the evil thing was taken down. Best $11 ever spent. :rolleyes:

11~ Any future renovations planned?
Just replacing the PVC with the another tree as mentioned previously. I may find myself living in a cage if I give anyone else size improvements. :)

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I loved the pictures and the interview!

Matt

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Woweeeee! What a "flightful" place you got there! Congratulations!:dance5:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks great! :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
great set up and awesome pics.....congrats!!

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations, LOVE the budgie cage! makes me smile like a goofball :heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance5:Wow!! Very impressive! Congratulations!! You are definitely on the Birdlady and of course your husband on the Birdman list!!!:D

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks, everyone! :)

Congratulations, LOVE the budgie cage! makes me smile like a goofball :heart:
The budgie cage is my personal favorite too....I couldn't wait to move and have enough room for it! It's such a little haven for them, and makes me so happy to see them flutter around in it all day without a care in the world, especially since a few had bad pasts. :)

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
:dance5:Wow!! Very impressive! Congratulations!! You are definitely on the Birdlady and of course your husband on the Birdman list!!!:D
Haha yes, and add the word "crazy" to it, and that's how most non-bird people describe it when they see it for the first time :D

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
:congrats:

Love it!:dance4:

Do you remember where you got the long mop looking toy across the top of the budgie cage?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! Great setup! :laughing12:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
:congrats:

Love it!:dance4:

Do you remember where you got the long mop looking toy across the top of the budgie cage?
Actually I do, but it was from a local shop and I don't know the brand of the toy anymore. It was actually a snuggle ring, but it was able to be disconnected and bent to be more of a perch instead.

:omg:
I never knew you had such a set-up!!!

One of them bites you in the butt :lol: when you clean

Is that your actually living room?

Is it always that clean?
Yes, my dear Tango is a true and certified butt-munch. :D

It is our actual living room; the tv is in the corner just out of sight of one of the pictures. I spend my days off (so like the whole summer) in here, and we spend the early evening hours in there and eat dinner in there with the crew (the table has a liftable top, so it turns into a makeshift dining room table). We do also have another living room very near but a half flight lower that we escape to later in the night to unwind and watch tv or movies that dialogue is necessary for :) Sometimes Tango is invited down there on his java tree, but he's the only one because he can keep his beak shut during movies!

And NO it is definitely not always this clean! :lol:Sometimes I'm as bad as the birds, leaving toy parts strewn across the floor. But I tell ya, a speckled carpet is a godsend in a bird room for making pictures appear cleaner than they really are! :D

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations! Great space and great interview! :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.