• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

July 2010 Mayor of the Avenue~~~~~ Holiday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Hey Roadies!

I'm pleased to announce July's "Mayor of the Avenue"

This award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

Please join me in welcoming this month's Mayor - Holiday!!!

I really enjoyed your interview and learning more about your flock :)

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

I have two large macaws, a Blue and Gold (Elvis) and a Red Front (Zoe), two Hahn's mini-macaws (Max and Sonny), and two parrotlets (Corbit and Bella).

2. what got you interested in birds?

Like so many others, I saw a bird in a pet store and fell in love. I didn't get that bird, because I was a student at the time and renting, but years later, when I was in a position to do so, I remembered that bird, researched the species and got a mini-macaw from a breeder.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

They have brought a lot of humor, love, and more meaning than I could have dreamt of before I knew about parrots.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I've learned that parrots are amazing beings, not like other "pets" and that each individual is valuable and beautiful in a totally unique way. I have learned that parrots are brilliant and sensitive in ways that most people don't appreciate, and that outside of communities such as this one, they are often underestimated and seldom treated in the ways that they need and deserve. I've also, of course, learned of the ongoing tragedy of abused and neglected parrots, which is something I was completely ignorant about before I got my birds. I really admire and support the efforts of our members who are involved in rescue.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

This is a tough one, because there are so many. I think I'll have to select two. 1) the first time Elvis stepped up for me was amazing. Large macaws can seem like such magical creatures when you're not accusomed to them, and she was a rehome who didn't like women, so I had to "court" her in order to win her over. It was a huge triumph to have her trust me and like me enough to want to be with me like that, and I'll never forget how huge her feet seemed, wrapped around my wrist, LOL!

2) the first time Max said "I love you." His eyes were so soft and melty when he said it. I will never forget my heart skipping a beat when I realized that he really meant it. I was familiar with parrots who talked, but I didn't realize how much of their speech is actually purposeful and meaningful until I got Max. Like many people, I just thought it was mostly mimicry. He opened my eyes to parrot communication at that moment, and it's something I'm very passionate about now. I think we as bird owners need to recognize and value our birds' attempts to communicate feelings and thoughts to us.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My birds have three different areas dedicated to them. One is a room in which the two large birds have their cages, and there is also a separate nearby area where my B&G has her swings and net. Then there is a bedroom that houses the four smaller birds.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

My whole life changed when I got my birds, but the biggest changes were all associated with Elvis. A Blue and Gold macaw, or any large parrot, in order to be truly well cared for and happy, IMO, needs a lot of space, a lot of toys, and a lot of interaction. I have also made major life decisions based in part on how my birds might be affected, like buying a certain kind of home in a certain area, staying home rather than travelling in the summers, and budgeting a bird allowance every month.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Actually, no. I live in a rural area outside a small town, so there really aren't many opportunities for that sort of thing.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A Rosie Swing
:)

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I really have my flock set at this point (the only dream bird I ever really wanted was a Red Front macaw, which I now have). But, if I dig down deep, I have to admit that there is still a yearning in my heart for a little female Hahn's. I lost my baby girl, Mattie, the first week of May this year, and it has left a hole in my heart. I don't know if it'll ever be filled now, since I have two Hahn's, and they get along fine. But, I do miss her very much.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

A typical day here in this mad house usually has me running back and forth making sure everyone has what they need. This morning Elvis and Zoe both yelled "Want breakfast!" while I was trying to drink my morning coffee,
and that's a pretty ordinary start to an ordinary day. I have to get birds out, clean cages, prepare meals, dole out scritches and treats, practice talking, etc. But it is all very much worth it. :heart:

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned that you really have to take the time to get to know your individual bird. Each one is unique and needs different things from you in order to be his/her best. I think most birds could use more enrichment. I love to see people working with their birds on verbal communication, color recognition, counting, spatial skills, object manipulation, everything from very simple games to complex skills, but basically anything interactive and educational. Birds are intelligent and need and deserve mental enrichment, and it is our responsibility as owners to provide them with that.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

The only big lesson I've learned, I think, is that they are more fragile than I ever would have realized, much more fragile than other pets. So, I would have, for instance, gotten good quality air purifiers sooner. They are susceptible to so many airborne toxins and simple pollutants. I feel I provide better, more vigilant, health care now than I did in the past.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I enjoy reading, nature walking, watching good movies, browsing antique shops, and at some point in the future I hope to take up poultry breeding again. My current living arrangements don't allow for that, but I have an abiding interest in bantam chickens.
:)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would just like to give a shout out to my fellow Roadies and say what a blessing this community has been for me and what a wonderful resource I think it is for bird owners, especially beginning parrot owners. I think a lot of birds (and owners) have been helped by the members of this board.
:hug8:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
:heart: you Holiday!!!

Great interview! Congrats!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a Wonderful interview!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing!!:dance4::hug8::heart:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
YEAH..CONGRATS,great choice and well deserved

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Congrats!!:dance4: What an awesome interview!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats Holiday!!

Attachments

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats..

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations I loved the interview :heart:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
CONGRATULATIONS!! :dance4::dance4: What a fantastic interview-- I enjoyed reading about you and your flock so much :) What a great pick for Mayor!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what an absolutely fabulous interview...and a wonderful choice..congratulations Holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance5::dance4:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Holiday what a lovely interview. It was so nice learning more about you and your flock. You are a wonderful member and an inspiration as a parrot owner. :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks very much, everyone. I'm honored :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations :heart:.. Loved your interview.. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Many :hug8: coming to you! Congrats! Love having you here!:dance4::laughing12:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
A big congrats to you Holiday! Loved reading about you!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations!! What an absolutely wonderful interview. Love reading your posts Holiday, you very much deserve this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.