• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jujube's Odd Behavior

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a video of something my budgie Juju does from time to time. He opens his beak like he's yawning and bobs his head, often to one side. I'm wondering if he's trying to clear his crop, regurgitate, or something else? If anyone has seen this behavior with their own budgie or other bird, I would love a bit of insight! Thank you so much!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can´t be sure but looks like a crop adjust to me.

What have they been eating? Are you able to wipe their faces with a cloth or will they bath to clean themselves? Dried food can quickly grow bacteria.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've never seen a budgie adjust their crop like that. What has he been eating?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are offered baths/mists regularly. This was right after morning chop a few weeks ago. So, yeah, they were a juicy mess, lol! Here is how they look now :) I did wonder if it had something to do with his crop... 26B1F056-EB2C-4CB9-BF6F-9A7D49DBEE0F.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That was several weeks ago. They eat chop in the morning made from fresh veggies, cooked legumes and grains, and sprouts. I run everything through a food processor so that the pieces are budgie sized. They also get pellets and seed mix at night. I use millet spray for training.

Reactions: Ali

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He hasn’t done this in several weeks, and they both had just been examined by the vet about 1 week prior to this photo—Bloodwork and Xrays.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry about the sideways picture! I can't get it to display upright.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do forgive me for being so scattered! I have a lot going on this afternoon. Anyway, the other pertinent information is that the reason they were taken to the vet is that they were not feeling well. They both had elevated liver enzymes at that time, and Jujube had an elevated white blood cell count. So, they were both put on a 2-week course of antibiotics. This little video was taken at the start of the second week--several weeks ago. Their vet and I are still working through some dietary changes related to the seed/pellet ratio of the evening feed because Juju has intermittent polyuria. The vet believes he is not tolerating the higher protein content of the pellet. So, we are trying this diet change to see if it helps. If it continues for another couple of weeks, then I will bring Juju back to his vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would you be able to send the video link in an email to your vet to look at? Just in case it is related to the previous health issues.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would you be able to send the video link in an email to your vet to look at? Just in case it is related to the previous health issues.
Yes I actually have, and he did not remark on it the last time we spoke (last Thursday), but I will call on Monday and ask again!

Yep Sam does this. It is a crop adjust. :)
Oh, really? That's kind of a relief!! I will still call his vet on Monday, but I'm grateful you posted!