• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Jujube’s beak

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet just came in. Juju’s X-rays may suggest heart disease aka atherosclerosis. He has sent the X-ray off for a second opinion. Blood work is running now. I’m taking two meds home but can’t remember what they are beyond one being an antibiotic. I think the other is an antifungal.

we are on the way home now. His liver values are just fine…which is weird. We are going to look into a melatonin supplement to add to their water for his hormones. 2 weeks of Orbifloxacin and 3 weeks to start of itraconazole

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully it's not heart disease but if it is you've clearly caught it early so that's encouraging.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Did the vet trim the sharp length off Jujube’s beak? I’m sure with what is going on would be stressful to have that done. I have the Safety pumice perch for all my conures and recently bought them for the biggies to see if it would work as well on their nails as it does the smaller birds. These perches are smooth on top where the pad of the foot comes in contact and sandy rough on the sides. My birds rub their beaks on these perches after eating and as a part of beak grooming. You might show a photo to your vet to see if this would be a more effective tool to use within the cage to avoid further beak trims. The budgie beak doesn’t protrude like many other birds. Maybe start a thread asking other budgie owners how their birds use these perches and are they affective for their nails and beaks. I’m not a fan of cuttlebone at all and not sure it’s effective.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is the company I ordered the large size pumice perch from. I found them by googling, put two in a cart but didn’t finish my purchase right away and got an email the next day for a coupon to apply. Can’t remember if it was 10% or 15% but every penny counts for me and…. It was free shipping with a 25.00 purchase. Woohoo! Read the reviews on the small and note they also have a manzanita perch with rough sides. Not that a budgie needs manzanita! It’s the natural shape of them. Waiting to see how the plastic perch holds up to my son beaks. I’ve seen Henry beak rubbing his.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, @Mockinbirdiva! Juju did get his beak and nails trimmed. They did so while he was still under anesthesia for the x-ray and blood work.

The budgies all have pumice perches, and Jelly and Juju have one of the Seriously Nutz beak conditioner stones as well. They chew on balsa wood, mahogany pods and seagrass mats. Juju's beak and nails crew at an alarming rate!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike having to catch one of the budgies every day to give medicine? No?

Well, at least it went a bit better this evening. I used the 'lights out' trick, and that worked pretty well. I just want to get his daily medications over with as quickly as I can and with the least stress possible.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike having to catch one of the budgies every day to give medicine? No?

Well, at least it went a bit better this evening. I used the 'lights out' trick, and that worked pretty well. I just want to get his daily medications over with as quickly as I can and with the least stress possible.
I'm sorry :( I think about that a fair bit how it would go if I ever have to catch and give meds to Bosco. I hope it will get easier for the both of you. *hugs*

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry :( I think about that a fair bit how it would go if I ever have to catch and give meds to Bosco. I hope it will get easier for the both of you. *hugs*
Thank you, April. I really tried to syringe train them, but they wouldn't even take water from the syringes. It did go pretty quickly this evening. I left only one small light on in the kitchen, and used a small towel to catch him. The syringes were already drawn up, so it was just a matter of administering the meds and letting him back in his cage with Jelly.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, April. I really tried to syringe train them, but they wouldn't even take water from the syringes. It did go pretty quickly this evening. I left only one small light on in the kitchen, and used a small towel to catch him. The syringes were already drawn up, so it was just a matter of administering the meds and letting him back in his cage with Jelly.
I'm glad it went so well! That's always the best way to pre draw up the meds and have them at the ready. A towel is definitely your friend,it really suprises people sometimes how much of a help vs a hindrance it is to use.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm glad it went so well! That's always the best way to pre draw up the meds and have them at the ready. A towel is definitely your friend,it really suprises people sometimes how much of a help vs a hindrance it is to use.
Towels are indispensable!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I can snug him up in the towel (after checking little budgie feet to make sure I have the right one, lol!) and giving the meds is so much faster that way. He's back in his cage with Jelly in less than 5 minutes. Turning out the lights works OK tonight, but he's catching on!