• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Jujube’s beak

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I noticed this morning that Jujube’s beak has quite a long tip at the moment. This developed in just the past 6 weeks or so. His diet is good, he chews on mahogany pods and sea grass mats, they have a conditioning stone in their cage. He previously had a bruise at the tip of his beak, and now this.

I’m calling this morning to bring him to his vet to have his beak shaped. I’m just wondering if anyone else has seen this before n their own birds??

Here is a picture of the bruise from several weeks ago.
2469CFA1-260F-414C-BDC4-5D68C7B7B9AB.jpeg

Here is the dagger I just noticed this morning.
718C4A73-98DC-49D8-BFDF-099C131D6078.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Jujube is very handsome!

I have not had dagger tip overgrowth. Mine chew on everything.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! He is a cutie :xflove:

He’s my boy who has had problems with excessive hormones, and now this. I wonder if there is any correlation or if it is just the result of his bruise? He and I see his vet this afternoon at 3:15.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sometimes it can be a result of liver problems so I woud bring that up when you meet with your vet.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I noticed this morning that Jujube’s beak has quite a long tip at the moment. This developed in just the past 6 weeks or so. His diet is good, he chews on mahogany pods and sea grass mats, they have a conditioning stone in their cage. He previously had a bruise at the tip of his beak, and now this.

I’m calling this morning to bring him to his vet to have his beak shaped. I’m just wondering if anyone else has seen this before n their own birds??

Here is a picture of the bruise from several weeks ago.
View attachment 418422

Here is the dagger I just noticed this morning.
View attachment 418423
Wally’s beak is sharp and properly short. Eva’s beak was getting long and getting a bit dull. I realllly didn’t want to take her to the vet for a beak shaping because she and I are at the point where I don’t want to go back on that trust unless something became a heath issue. I immediately put in their cuttlebone because she does tend to use it occasionally, purchased toys which i haven’t put in yet :(, and bought some balsa and chipper foot toys and it seemed to hone it down so it isn’t as long. I feel better about that. But it’s also not super pointy. Maybe someone can let me know if it looks like it needs shaping or just keep offering her wood toys. She a timid chewer so she sticks with the sola, mahogany as well. Sorry @Kassiani i don’t mean to hijack your thread :facepalm: I didnt want to start another beak thread. Isn’t a super clear pic cus she was moving but any concerns?

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Toot has rapid beak growth. All of his test show no Liver problems so our vet isn't sure on what the problem is. I give him milk thistle to help and he gets a probiotic as well. We have to take him in for beak trims several times a year. The vet showed me how to file on his beak to keep it shorter on our last visit. If your little guy's beak continues to grow long you may want them to show you how to do this as well. For us a vet trip is pretty much an 8 hour day of traveling and such so this is helping us reduce that so we don't have to go so many times throughout the year.

Hopefully it is because of the bruise he had.:fingerscrossed:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Wally&Eva I have no experience with lovebird beaks, but it looks as though it is almost square at the end. It might need some shaping up.

My boys have never had length problems with their beaks before, so this is new. Jelly and Juju were 6 yo this autumn.

@Teckechick do you use a dremel-like tool or just a regular file?

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wally’s beak is sharp and properly short. Eva’s beak was getting long and getting a bit dull. I realllly didn’t want to take her to the vet for a beak shaping because she and I are at the point where I don’t want to go back on that trust unless something became a heath issue. I immediately put in their cuttlebone because she does tend to use it occasionally, purchased toys which i haven’t put in yet :(, and bought some balsa and chipper foot toys and it seemed to hone it down so it isn’t as long. I feel better about that. But it’s also not super pointy. Maybe someone can let me know if it looks like it needs shaping or just keep offering her wood toys. She a timid chewer so she sticks with the sola, mahogany as well. Sorry @Kassiani i don’t mean to hijack your thread :facepalm: I didnt want to start another beak thread. Isn’t a super clear pic cus she was moving but any concerns?
I would say she needs a bit of a trim. My Toot doesn't chew on toys much either so I understand. I so wish he would it would help his beak quite a bit.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
@Wally&Eva I have no experience with lovebird beaks, but it looks as though it is almost square at the end. It might need some shaping up.

My boys have never had length problems with their beaks before, so this is new. Jelly and Juju were 6 yo this autumn.

@Teckechick do you use a dremel-like tool or just a regular file?
I use a metal file for dog nails. It has a blunt end and I got it at one of my local pet stores. This is what my vet suggested I use.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yes, it is a little squareish. It doesn’t bother her eating and she can get through the thin pine. And it definitely doesn’t stop her from pinching my skin haha

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Isn’t a super clear pic cus she was moving but any concerns?
Needs fixing.
Does she not chew on anything?
Also, look and see if you can get a lava stone, as well as a Hagen (living world) pedi perch (size S). They have been fantastic for all of my birds.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I would say she needs a bit of a trim. My Toot doesn't chew on toys much either so I understand. I so wish he would it would help his beak quite a bit.
Wally has the pointiest cutest little beak, he is much more active, always on the bars, chewing toys, biting fingers. She tends to be gentler in general and in her play. It was a bit overgrown and the steps I took, took care of that a bit, at least to the point that I wasn’t really concerned it and it wasn’t pointing down as much. But it’s still not pointy like Wally’s. I don’t know if that’s bad or just an aesthetic thing for the moment.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Needs fixing.
Also, look and see if you can get a lava stone, as well as a Hagen (living world) pedi perch (size S). They have been fantastic for all of my birds.
She has the pedi perch, I don’t necessarily like the cuttlebone but she will stand on it and use it a bit so it’s back in. I think I’m going to get a lava stone. She has some type of stone toy somewhere, I’ll have to dig it out. But she’s not huge on toys. She’s not a heavy chewer. She chews on sola, mahogany, cork, paper, balsa and thin pine but only if I’m actively holding it for her. She mostly does her chewing when she’s out. They have about everything single material in their cage. The only thing they don’t have is the little stone things but I missed out during the RLS. She’s really only interested in chewing if Wally has something.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Needs fixing.
How would I be able to manually do it myself?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How would I be able to manually do it myself?
I don't know. Personally I'd feel more comfortable having a vet or professional groomer do it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Im so glad you are getting him vet work up. Hope good news

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I hope he will be alright :heart2: :bluhug:
How old is he again?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve been sitting here waiting for Juju’s work up reading about avian over disease. Excessive thirst is also a symptom, and I have noticed him drinking more. I hope it’s treatable for him!