• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Juju may be sick?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope the vet gives you some answers. Does his foot look okay? Could he have just hurt his foot?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s at the vet now. Just dropped him off. X-ray first. Then go from there.

I should clarify. When Juju and Jelly are relaxed and just warbling, they are fluffed up like little round balls and hold one foot up.You can barely see the toes of the foot on which they are standing. Juju is slick, you can clearly see both feet and legs. Even when he has both feet on the perch now, he leans toward the right—away from the foot he has been holding up

He still is not eating much.

I’m terrified!
:sadhug: sending all the good thoughts. Stay strong!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the vet gives you some answers. Does his foot look okay? Could he have just hurt his foot?
His foot looks ok. I’ll know more this afternoon I hope.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My bad. I have the phone muted at night so as not to disturb the flock. Honestly with no sound it does look like he's just singing.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bad. I have the phone muted at night so as not to disturb the flock. Honestly with no sound it does look like he's just singing.
I’m always happy to have you offer your opinion and experience!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The blue boys and I are now home from the vet. He had an x-ray and bloodwork. First the bloodwork results. Everything in the blood results looked perfectly normal. No elevated uric acid levels or anything else that would indicate that renal cancer was involved. In other words, all the kidney function tests were perfect.

Now the x-rays. The images did not show any abnormal masses anywhere as would be revealed by other organs not being aligned properly when compared with prior x-rays, unusual cloudiness in an area that should be clear, etc.

Now for the punchline: The x-rays did reveal something. Jujube currently has some profoundly large gonads--epically large gonads. Gonads that are visible in all the x-ray views taken. :facepalm:

So, I've been given an anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve his pain/discomfort. My vet does not like to get involved in implants and other hormone therapies for birds this small. I need to plunge the budges into total darkness up to 16 hours per day to bring those back down. So, I need to find a way to keep the boys in separate sleep rooms for now, and a lightweight material that I can use to double-down on the cage cover for the boys. Like blackout material somewhere.

And did I mention we have an ice storm on the way. I can't make this stuff up...I lack that sort of imagination! Lol! And yes, I'm so relieved, I'm giddy!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It seems that budgies have a lot of issues with their sexual organs - both the boys and the girls

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still mulling over just how relieved I am at this outcome. I really was steeling myself for the worst news possible all day!

I'm hoping that what will work out is for me to put the budgies' cage in the guest bedroom and leave Opie in the front room. I'll buy some room darkening curtains to drape Jelly and Juju's cage (with enough give to allow plenty of air circulation), but I'll also put drapes up over the cased opening to the front room to let Opie sleep a little longer, too. If I have to keep the budgies in darkness for 16 hours, I'll need to be able to close a door or two between where I work from home in the kitchen and their room to keep noise distractions to a minimum.

Everyone else in town is panic buying bread and milk....I'm going to Home Depot! Lol!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still mulling over just how relieved I am at this outcome. I really was steeling myself for the worst news possible all day!

I'm hoping that what will work out is for me to put the budgies' cage in the guest bedroom and leave Opie in the front room. I'll buy some room darkening curtains to drape Jelly and Juju's cage (with enough give to allow plenty of air circulation), but I'll also put drapes up over the cased opening to the front room to let Opie sleep a little longer, too. If I have to keep the budgies in darkness for 16 hours, I'll need to be able to close a door or two between where I work from home in the kitchen and their room to keep noise distractions to a minimum.

Everyone else in town is panic buying bread and milk....I'm going to Home Depot! Lol!
How's Juju been today?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I gave him a dose of meloxicam on Friday evening before putting everyone to bed, and then again on Saturday morning. This has helped! I couldn't give him the dose last night because it hadn't been 12 hours since the first dose on Saturday. I will have to keep it at one dose per day if the budgies are only uncovered for 8 hours.

I spent all day Saturday hanging curtains and getting the guest bedroom ready for the budgies' cage for the night. I didn't get the budgies up until 8:45 a.m., and I had covered them around 5:30 p.m. This morning, they both seem a bit hungover from being covered for so long, but it has to be this way for a while.

I plan to cover them at 3:30 p.m. today so that I can get everyone up at 7:30 a.m. on Monday. I'll probably keep the schedule like that for the foreseeable future because I have to have them up before or by 7:30 a.m. so that I can get to work on the days when I work in the office.

Yikes! We are having an ice store with some wind, and a huge branch just came down in my yard! I heard the cracking and ran to the window to see it fall :wideyed:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I gave him a dose of meloxicam on Friday evening before putting everyone to bed, and then again on Saturday morning. This has helped! I couldn't give him the dose last night because it hadn't been 12 hours since the first dose on Saturday. I will have to keep it at one dose per day if the budgies are only uncovered for 8 hours.

I spent all day Saturday hanging curtains and getting the guest bedroom ready for the budgies' cage for the night. I didn't get the budgies up until 8:45 a.m., and I had covered them around 5:30 p.m. This morning, they both seem a bit hungover from being covered for so long, but it has to be this way for a while.

I plan to cover them at 3:30 p.m. today so that I can get everyone up at 7:30 a.m. on Monday. I'll probably keep the schedule like that for the foreseeable future because I have to have them up before or by 7:30 a.m. so that I can get to work on the days when I work in the office.

Yikes! We are having an ice store with some wind, and a huge branch just came down in my yard! I heard the cracking and ran to the window to see it fall :wideyed:
I'm glad that the meds seem to be helping him! That's really encouraging for sure. Bummer to have to cover them so long but at least it's only temporary.
Oh geesh glad that the branch fell in your yard and not on your house!