• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Juju may be sick?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I uncovered my boys this morning, I noticed that Juju was holding his wings out and shivering them very rapidly. He keeps closing his eyes and is not interested in breakfast. I'm going to call the vets office as soon as they open. But I'm wondering if anyone has seen something like this? Help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no, I hope everything is okay!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor Juju I hope your able to get him to the vet soon and everything will be alright.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not a symptom that I've ever seen.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was able to get a drop off appointment (aka. they'll squeeze in seeing Juju as time and tide allow) today. Waiting to hear. Opie is very unsettled being here without them. I suspect I may need to take Juju to a second facility today that has greater diagnostic equipment. We'll see.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope Juju is okay.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Juju will be okay and that it’s nothing serious!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone. I still haven’t heard from the vet!
Hopefully he/she will call you soon with a good update. How is Opie?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much everyone!!!! I'm sorry that I couldn't get back here to provide an update before now.

So, a thorough physical exam of Juju did not indicate any neurological problems (responses all normal, wing extension good, flight good, grip with feet all good), palpation of his abdomen did not reveal any growths. Juju did not ever do the wing shudder action while he was with them. They were kept in a central location and observed all day by the techs and the vet. If it were a toxin, Juju's condition would not have been something he could hide. No bloodwork or x-rays were taken today.

My vet then asked me if he was doing anything with his tail at the time of his wing shuddering. He was not. Just standing straight up, quite still, holding his wings out and shuddering them very quickly. His current working theory is--it is hormonal. Which seems as likely as anything else. Prior to Kuiper's arrival, Jelly and Juju would do the sexy budgie dance, but never fed one another and Jelly never preened Juju. Once Kuiper arrived, Juju became infatuated and fed him and preened him while mostly ignoring Jelly. It has been 8 months since Kuiper passed, and in the last 3 months, both Jelly and Juju have been displaying more "adult" budgie behaviors (practicing regurgitating to parts of the cage, etc.). They now feed each other every day, and Jelly will actually preen Juju, too.

So, previously my boys were rather inept at typical budgie-ish behaviors. Perhaps what I saw was Juju's inept way of 'having his way' with his perch?

I'm keeping a close eye on both of them. Continuing to increase their dark time over night, and will try to video the behavior for their vet if it happens again. They were happy to be home and have a nice fly around the kitchen. They ate their dinner and were happy to be covered for the night last night. I'm looking at them now on the camera, and all seems well.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh what a relief that nothing jumps out on exam and that he didn't do it again or show more of a decline.
Hopefully it is something as normal as hormonal behavior and all will be well.
Thanks for updating us I was wondering what ended up being said by the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am not sure. It looks kinda normal, kinds not? You know your bird best.

@Ripshod ? Any thoughts?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to agree that the vid looks normal. He's on one leg, totally relaxed and singing. It's impossible to stay still while doing those things together, especially with all thise sir sacs all over.
I don't see anything that would have me worried. It's just a bird waking up full of song.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s not him singing. That’s Jelly. Throughout this morning he has been leaning to the right, favoring his left leg.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I hope it's not a tumor:(. Will you take him back to the vet?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s at the vet now. Just dropped him off. X-ray first. Then go from there.

I should clarify. When Juju and Jelly are relaxed and just warbling, they are fluffed up like little round balls and hold one foot up.You can barely see the toes of the foot on which they are standing. Juju is slick, you can clearly see both feet and legs. Even when he has both feet on the perch now, he leans toward the right—away from the foot he has been holding up

He still is not eating much.

I’m terrified!