• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Judy has pseudomonas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm still a little angry that none of this was caught at the first visit by the other vet. A culture of her nose and looking at the rhinoliths was all that was needed for the proper diagnosis. There's no reason these shouldn't have happened.
Hang on to your vet - the really good ones, who are nit-pickers, and have that "gutt feeling" are few a far between. Yeah with that low of a zinc titer she will get rid of it herself.

I've told the story of Jasper before. She was sick so I took her to a big clinic with a good reputation in Mesa, AZ. Jasper was assigned to their "exotics Dr." He had an xray done and told me that everything looked fine. I took her home, Jasper got worse and the next time my regular Dr. was in town. He took one look at the xray, which had been read by their resident radiologist/cardiologist, Dr. went out of the room and came right back with a syringe and gave her an injection of furosomide right on the spot. It turned out that the original vet had read the comment on the xray by the /cardiologist said "severe cardiomyopothy" and since he didn't know what to do about it, he said nothing to me. Jasper could have started treatment six months earlier.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Will Judy lay on her back on the counter? If she will, that is the easiest way to give an injection. Just put your other thumb firmly where you plan to do the injection and slide the needle smoothly and firmly into her against your thumb. She won't be able to differentiate between the pressure from your thumb and the needle. Don't forget to aspirate the needle before you inject the fluid - don't want to give it IV instead of IM.

Lots of kisses and snuggles afterwards.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

Oh, that would be so hard. But I know you can do it. :hug8:
Awe so nice to finally have answers and a plan for treatment:) 20 years ago when we rescued Bonnie and Clyde from near death we had to give daily injections....it was scary but we did it and it got easier....you will do fine!
Will Judy lay on her back on the counter? If she will, that is the easiest way to give an injection. Just put your other thumb firmly where you plan to do the injection and slide the needle smoothly and firmly into her against your thumb. She won't be able to differentiate between the pressure from your thumb and the needle. Don't forget to aspirate the needle before you inject the fluid - don't want to give it IV instead of IM.

Lots of kisses and snuggles afterwards.
Judy is not a big fan of kisses, snuggles, laying down or anything that has to do with touching. I am required to scritch her for a pre-determined amount of time that I'm not privy to. Too short initiates a demand for more scritching. Too long results in blood loss. :lol:She's use to getting medicated though. I got the injection done and I'm not sure she even noticed that there was anything different. I like the thumb idea. I'm not sure I can do it, but it's a good idea. I don't do well with needles. I'm always afraid that I'm going to stick myself.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You don't like needles - LOL. I haven't had an injection in 50 years. That was when my son was born and they had me captured. Since then I haven't found a Dr. fast enough to catch me and give me a shot.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
In case anyone is wondering, Judy is on terbinafine for asper, metacam for swelling/pain and amikacin for psudomonas.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Unclear tests I would have been fine with. Not culturing a bird with breathing problems is dumb. Not examining giant rocks in their nose in any kind of way is also dumb. The same place also talked me out of a zinc test telling me that it would show on the x-ray. It did show on the x-ray. He said that was probably shells. The only seeds Judy gets are the occasional sunflower seed and she shells them. When the second doctor saw the x-ray he saw the same thing I did and did the zinc test. When he saw her nose running, he cultured it. When he saw a rhinolith, he put it under a microscope. He learned more in one vet visit than the other place learned in 4. I've spent over $2500 in vet bills. Judy's had a seizure that may have been avoidable. I'm not sure if they were just being lazy or if they were milking me. We ran a lot of tests, but not the typical, obvious things.
Everything I've ever read, heard and been told about Dr. Mike makes him to me one of the "best" avian vets there is, bar none. JMO.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Everything I've ever read, heard and been told about Dr. Mike makes him to me one of the "best" avian vets there is, bar none. JMO.
That is my opinion too. The combination of his knowledge of birds and his willingness/ability to talk to people is rare and he has a plethora of both.

(Note: I'm pretty excited that I used plethora in a sentence:dance5:)

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I try to do different things with Judy each time I give her the meds so that she doesn't associate specific rooms or anything else with the experience. Sometimes I'll scritch her for a little bit while she's in the towel. Sometimes I release her from there and let her walk to her cage and sometimes I take her to her cage before I release her. Today I opened up the towel while she was still in my lap. She just laid there and let me scritch her. I'm sure part of it is that it wears her out, but I'd like to think she also enjoys our time together.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor Judy, though it's good that you now have the right diagnosis. Hopefully, she is on the road to recovery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.