• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Judy has pseudomonas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
In addition to the asper, Judy has pseudomonas and slightly elevated zinc levels. She starts an injectable antibiotic today. Her culture showed two different strains and the injection will treat them both. Finally, answers and a plan. Hopefully we can get these gone and move onto better bonding. Nasal flush, medicine, toweling and injections just aren't the way to build trust.

Edited because my "smart" phone is not so smart.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little girlie! I am glad you have a diagnosis. I hope she is soon on the road to recovery. You both have been put through so much!:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really a fan of your little trooper :) Bless her heart :hug8:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Poor baby! Prayers that all this stuff gets a swift kick out!! :hug8:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, she is a fighter indeed! I hope this is all over soon so you guys can get on better terms. :hug8: I was worried about the bonding with Olive as well, but she's finally realized that I'm mean twice a day and her buddy the rest of the time. Hopefully Judy will too. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In addition to the adore, Judy has pseudomonas and slightly elevated zinc levels. She starts an injectible antibiotic today. Her culture showed two different strains and the injection will treat them both. Finally, answers and a plan. Hopefully we can get these gone and move onto better bonding. Nasal flushed, medicine, toweling and injections just aren't the way to build trust.
OK Jen - I'm confused (not difficult to do with me). I thought that Judy had been diagnosed with Asper. What is "adore"? It's not uncommon for a bird to get secondary infections once they are being treated for Asper, because of the damage that the antifungals do to the immune system. Hank has been infected with every bacteria that exists (exaggeration) including MRSA. The high heavy metal reading is worrisome too, because the chelation meds are hard on the immune system too. The newer ones are much better than the ones Hank was on 15 years ago.

You may be surprised and the constant medication of and handling the Judy may make the two of you closer. It has with Hank and me. Like Holiday, I greatly admire Judy. These birds that fight so hard and have such a strong will to live are amazing. Dnaita's Jamie is my all time hero, but Judy and Hank are running very close seconds.

Keep you stiff upper lip and be very stubborn - you and Judy will win.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Like Holiday and Mary Lynn, I very much admire Judy, and am rooting for her every day. She especially deserves to have many good years in front of her, after all she's been through.

Thank God she landed with you.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OK Jen - I'm confused (not difficult to do with me). I thought that Judy had been diagnosed with Asper. What is "adore"? It's not uncommon for a bird to get secondary infections once they are being treated for Asper, because of the damage that the antifungals do to the immune system. Hank has been infected with every bacteria that exists (exaggeration) including MRSA. The high heavy metal reading is worrisome too, because the chelation meds are hard on the immune system too. The newer ones are much better than the ones Hank was on 15 years ago.

You may be surprised and the constant medication of and handling the Judy may make the two of you closer. It has with Hank and me. Like Holiday, I greatly admire Judy. These birds that fight so hard and have such a strong will to live are amazing. Dnaita's Jamie is my all time hero, but Judy and Hank are running very close seconds.

Keep you stiff upper lip and be very stubborn - you and Judy will win.
:) adore is my phone's version of asper. Judy blows me kisses and asks for scritches right after treatments so I think we'll be fine. She really is a fighter and a very sweet birdie. As far as the zinc, we won't be treating it just yet. I'll ask more what will happen when I go in to pick up meds.

Thanks for all the support. :heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many hugs and kisses for Judy and you too.....

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Yes, Judy is a fighter & deserves to get well & have a good life. We're all pulling for her :heart:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Now that I'm on a computer and not my phone, it's easier to type. Judy's zinc reading was barely elevated. I think 2.6 is the limit and she was at 2.7. We're not treating that at this time. Hopefully with no exposure, it will go down on its own. It should be fine as long as it doesn't go up.

Judy's titer for asper was positive, but barely. Since we know she has it from the rhinoliths, it looks like her body isn't fighting it properly. She may have had the infection before the asper. She also has two strains of the bacteria. Dr. Doolen feels like she's probably had it so long it mutated. I'm still a little angry that none of this was caught at the first visit by the other vet. A culture of her nose and looking at the rhinoliths was all that was needed for the proper diagnosis. There's no reason these shouldn't have happened.

qmichelle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no, Jen! :hug8:

Vet medicine is not an exact science. There are unclear test results all the time... just like with humans. I know it's frustrating because this has gone on a while but hopefully things will turn around very soon. She has you. You haven't given up. You keep trying and trying and trying and even though her body isn't fighting it as we hope, it's still fighting.

I'm sending positive, healing thoughts and energy Judy's way! And thoughts of strength your way, too!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Prayers and hugs for you and Judy.:hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Unclear tests I would have been fine with. Not culturing a bird with breathing problems is dumb. Not examining giant rocks in their nose in any kind of way is also dumb. The same place also talked me out of a zinc test telling me that it would show on the x-ray. It did show on the x-ray. He said that was probably shells. The only seeds Judy gets are the occasional sunflower seed and she shells them. When the second doctor saw the x-ray he saw the same thing I did and did the zinc test. When he saw her nose running, he cultured it. When he saw a rhinolith, he put it under a microscope. He learned more in one vet visit than the other place learned in 4. I've spent over $2500 in vet bills. Judy's had a seizure that may have been avoidable. I'm not sure if they were just being lazy or if they were milking me. We ran a lot of tests, but not the typical, obvious things.

Oh no, Jen! :hug8:

Vet medicine is not an exact science. There are unclear test results all the time... just like with humans. I know it's frustrating because this has gone on a while but hopefully things will turn around very soon. She has you. You haven't given up. You keep trying and trying and trying and even though her body isn't fighting it as we hope, it's still fighting.

I'm sending positive, healing thoughts and energy Judy's way! And thoughts of strength your way, too!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Poor Judy. :hug8: I'm glad you know what's wrong so you can get her feeling better!

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have to give her a shot. I was ok with it until the part where I'm about to actually do it. :(

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I have to give her a shot. I was ok with it until the part where I'm about to actually do it. :(

Oh, that would be so hard. But I know you can do it. :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe so nice to finally have answers and a plan for treatment:) 20 years ago when we rescued Bonnie and Clyde from near death we had to give daily injections....it was scary but we did it and it got easier....you will do fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.