• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Journal - Should zoo foods be chopped (macaws)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the freeze dried that was only nibbled on when dry but was chewed more when moistened. I have tried freeze dried on him before without real results but the chunky chop seemed to be more encouraging.

Ripley surprised me today though. I have been giving Not Chop every day, but today I got up late and had to scramble to get the family out the door for an event we were going to. When we got home, Ripley was banging away at his food dish - something he does when his demands are not being met in some way. He had pellets and fresh water, and had already had his almonds for the day. I was not convinced he was asking for veggies but figured I would try anyways.

Sure enough, went straight to his bowl! Dumbfounded, to say the least! Went from a bird that doesn't touch veggies to scolding me for not offering :rofl:

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
So the freeze dried that was only nibbled on when dry but was chewed more when moistened. I have tried freeze dried on him before without real results but the chunky chop seemed to be more encouraging.

Ripley surprised me today though. I have been giving Not Chop every day, but today I got up late and had to scramble to get the family out the door for an event we were going to. When we got home, Ripley was banging away at his food dish - something he does when his demands are not being met in some way. He had pellets and fresh water, and had already had his almonds for the day. I was not convinced he was asking for veggies but figured I would try anyways.

Sure enough, went straight to his bowl! Dumbfounded, to say the least! Went from a bird that doesn't touch veggies to scolding me for not offering :rofl:
I was wondering how he liked the freeze dried... that’s great that he was asking for his not chop lol!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

:yes4:

I am going to do Not Chop with the budgies at some point, I think they'll love it as their preferred veggies option is skewered anyway. I need to get some suitable bowls first though.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Good news that Ripley is shouting at you if he doesnt get his not chop.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I really like Jason and have followed him for years..the reason he perfers tops pellets is because it has all organic ingredients and they are cold processed unlike other pellets which are hot processed and therfor lose so much in the processing.. and he believes in diverse ingredients giving his birds a whole lot of choices .. I think the more you can give your bird the better ..he also believes in seed and grains to be fed in moderate amounts .. I have learned allot about the best way to feed my birds from him ..

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
We've been calling "Not Chop" at our house salads.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Salad is good too! I always called "regular" chop "bird salad" so working on my personal vocabulary still :lol:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
If I feed only leafy greens and herbs then I call it a salad.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've started keeping back trimmings from dinner to use for his Not Chop. I throw them in a container and use the next few days :) helps reduce waste - from people and bird!

PXL_20220501_213611898~2.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gave them both a chilli on a skewer with there not chop this morning.
20220508_120507.jpg

Mojo left her not chop straight away

20220508_120741.jpg

20220508_120826.jpg
Not the best pics as she was a blur of activity.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo's came of the skewer in the end thouroughly enjoyed it.
20220508_151243.jpg

KiKi had a good go as well

20220508_152817.jpg
Both ate about the same amount of not chop from the bowl, i am going to put some courgette on a skewer tomorrow see how that fares. And going to try and get some mini peppers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We've been eating a lot more fresh veggies and fruits around my house so Ripley has been getting a large variety! Only things I buy specifically for him right now are parsnips, beet root, and radishes, and that's just because he loves them (and they last a while in the fridge). Everything else was part of what we had on hand or cut off from dinner prep!

Today's bowl includes: dill, parsley, carrot, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, celery, strawberry tops, beet root, parsnip, radish, sugar snap peas.

PXL_20220522_162619970.jpg

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That looks yummy! Never thought of feeding raw parsnip! Going to try it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Made a fruit salad for tomorrow and gave Ripley a special treat :) we do very little fruit usually so this is not typical!

Bing cherry, peach, plum, strawberry tops, red grape, and thyme

PXL_20220619_003657479~2.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have always removed the girls pellets when i fed them there chop and then their not chop, they both suddenly stalled on eating there NC so i added another bowl to each cage with there NC in and worked a treat.
when they where just getting chop it was in the cage for a hour the NC is in there for about 3, Mojo now flies across her cage between her NC and her pellets never seen her fly across her cage before

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The girls are getting there not chop after they have been out and about for the day.
They go between this and their pellets. 20220804_133928.jpg
I leave this in there cage longer than i would leave chop after a couple of hours i remove and add sprouts and put back in for another hour.
20220807_163555.jpg
Gets them both back involved with there not chop again.
Not the best not chop got to go shopping.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been giving meloncita non chop, the kabob is new and I absolutely love it. View attachment 411490
I dont do that enough as KiKi can't deal with them half the time and she gets frustrated but hopefully as she gets more confident will be able to do it more it is a winner.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I dont do that enough as KiKi can't deal with them half the time and she gets frustrated but hopefully as she gets more confident will be able to do it more it is a winner.
Is what you mean that your bird has trouble keeping it still because the one I got is a little heavy, so eating off it isn't too hard.