• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Journal - Should zoo foods be chopped (macaws)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just been the Asian supermarket there fruit and veg is tremendous so fresh and a much bigger variety than the usual supermarkets.
Also a big selection of spices.
I need to research about some of what was available but will be shopping there for all of the girls fresh food from now on.
20220403_143120.jpg
The usual chillis but more variety, bell peppers,brocolli and new to the girls a courgette.
Also got a huge bag of fresh thyme loads of herbs available but didnt know what was ok to feed them more reading needed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
there fruit and veg is tremendous so fresh and a much bigger variety than the usual supermarkets.
Our veg shops our mainly owned by Moroccans and the stuff is much nicer, and cheaper than the supermarkets and it´s all local. Plus you don´t have to use those darned plastic veggie bags (they´re no biodegradable, but I still don´t like them).

loads of herbs available but didnt know what was ok to feed them

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our veg shops our mainly owned by Moroccans and the stuff is much nicer, and cheaper than the supermarkets and it´s all local. Plus you don´t have to use those darned plastic veggie bags (they´re no biodegradable, but I still don´t like them).

Good info in the herb link i have just started a herb thread :nocomment:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tea tonight 20220403_180708.jpg
Red bell pepper,courgette,naga chilli,some other chilli,cellery,sweet peas,piece of apple and some thyme.
Mojo and KiKi deffo getting much more involved with there fresh food.
This will be a good 1 hour 90 mins of eating.
They wont eat everything but nothing getting spoiled in the fridge what they dont eat go's in the compost.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What are those little maroon and green things you've got there, in the bottom right quadrant?
Lily Pillies one of Q’s personal favourites. I feel mean if I don’t give him any when he has fresh food :shy: They’re generally one of the things he goes for first.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lily Pillies one of Q’s personal favourites. I feel mean if I don’t give him any when he has fresh food :shy: They’re generally one of the things he goes for first.
Had to go back through the thread to find the pic, whats a lily pillie ? Is that something Gallahs would eat in the wild ?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Had to go back through the thread to find the pic, whats a lily pillie ? Is that something Gallahs would eat in the wild ?
It's an Australian native fruiting tree, I would think if they came across them they would eat them? Most of the tree is quite edible for humans too, I've eaten the fruit (ripe and unripe), the flowers, the flower buds and the leaves.
@Shezbug has given them to Burt before if I remember correctly.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Am still surprised at how much interest Quarter is now showing for food, he seems to be eating more in general while decreasing his seed intake. He showed a little bit of interest in pellets today too.
09EE31DB-13A6-4D1B-AA7E-35BD73466E23.jpeg
C4DD5434-6FDA-4B90-BA5C-AE6DEFAC6E17.jpeg
Some food destruction was me playing with him :laugh: Sprout are super popular atm and apparently carrots must be slightly cooked, according to Q.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm watching my mom's dog today so Ripley has to be locked up, so I'm not 100% sure how much of these he actually ATE, and how much he just chewed on in frustration, but he had fun either way :lol:

PXL_20220403_132059534.jpg PXL_20220404_012438889.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've been trying to get this bird to eat sweet potato since August 2018 when he came to live with me.

I've offered it warm, cold, on a skewer, diced, powdered, pureed, baked into bread, mixed with oatmeal....

This is just a chunk of sweet potato that's been microwaved for 1 minute and he loves it. First thing he does in the morning now is cheek out his bowl of "Not Chop" :heart:

PXL_20220405_121158547.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been trying to get this bird to eat sweet potato since August 2018 when he came to live with me.

I've offered it warm, cold, on a skewer, diced, powdered, pureed, baked into bread, mixed with oatmeal....

This is just a chunk of sweet potato that's been microwaved for 1 minute and he loves it. First thing he does in the morning now is cheek out his bowl of "Not Chop" :heart:

View attachment 405546
Great news that this has got Ripley eating fresh food consistantly :)
Have you seen a increase in his weight yet ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Great news that this has got Ripley eating fresh food consistantly :)
Have you seen a increase in his weight yet ?
To be honest I haven't had a chance to weigh him yet. Spring Break was last week and then this week there's been some family stuff going on so hoping I'll grab his weight later this week when the dust settles a bit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Wardy Ripley keeps going back and forth on courgettes :lol: Somedays they are a yes, other days a no! We did thyme yesterday and that was a no :shrug:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My guys won't eat anything leafy. They eat the broccoli bottoms and not the tops. I really feel they want the skin of the food to determine the best part to eat. Same with cauliflower, they eat the stems not the tops. Like I said I feel like I'm giving them the leftovers but that's the part they want. I buy huge broccoli and cauliflowers, we eat the tops and they eat the bottoms. :rofl:

Of course saying it like that I know where I went wrong for so many years. I never put broccoli stems in chop... :cautious: I always peeled sweet potatoes, squash ... yah. I was over serving, they are quite simple these days. :laugh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I've been making sure to give him the skins! I usually buy baby carrots, he wouldn't touch them. I bought some regular carrots, just washed it and cut off a bit, and he chewed it up. :thumbsup:

The broccoli he has no interest in no matter what I do so far lol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes I've been making sure to give him the skins! I usually buy baby carrots, he wouldn't touch them. I bought some regular carrots, just washed it and cut off a bit, and he chewed it up. :thumbsup:

The broccoli he has no interest in no matter what I do so far lol
Yup, the baby carrots are not as good as the whole ones. ( plus I think they wash them with something weird ) Try just the broccoli stem pieces, no bush. :laugh: My guys have never eaten the crown, they look at me like I handed them leafy stuff.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
He's currently eating a piece of sweet potato I microwaved for a bit.
Is that one way to bake a sweet potato? I've only put them in the oven. I know you're suppose to give parrots bake sweet potatoes, not raw ones.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is that one way to bake a sweet potato? I've only put them in the oven. I know you're suppose to give parrots bake sweet potatoes, not raw ones.
Funny thing- I read about so many members here microwaving sweet potato so I have tried it a heap of times and Burt won’t touch it microwaved. I must admit I wasn’t keen on it cooked in the microwave either lol