• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Josie

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
How about a smoothie with peanut butter? Penguin goes nuts for those. I usually make one with banana and berries and a teaspoon of peanut butter. You could blend it with crushed up pellets.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone. Chandra, I've been weighing her daily, and she's down to 71g from 75g. We've an appointment for the vet on Tuesday - I tried to get it yesterday, but I called several places and they were all fully booked. They're closed tomorrow because it's a public holiday. I'm not ready to drive to Guelph to see the avian emergency yet, unless absolutely necessary. We'll see how she does.

I've tried a lot of "wet" foods (apple sauce, purees, etc.) and she's not taking to it. I don't think she's too crazy about mushy stuff. She'll eat white rice (not touching the brown rice... huh), walnut and sponge cake without problem right now, but not much else. At least that's something... Fed her a bit of formula this morning, not very much though as she's very resistant. I made the formula with apple juice and she'll eat a bit on her own, then fly away. I forced about 2cc into her.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I`d like to add that she`ll have her last dose of Clavamox this afternoon. The vet mentioned that Clavamox can result in reduced appetite, so I`m hoping her appetite will come back once she`s no longer on Clavamox. She`s very active, which is good. Her beak doesn`t even seem to be bothering her anymore. I just wish she`d eat a bit more.

Poops are still watery with small, dark feces.

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Sorry this happened, JosienBB. It does happen to the best of us, unfortunately - accidents happen in a multi-parrot home even when we are absolutely vigilant. The walnuts are fatty, so keep up with those, and anything else she shows an interest in - you're just trying to put weight on in the short-term so if it's a little unhealthy, so be it. When my elderly 'zon was very ill, he was only interested in terrible foods - cheese, corn, scrambled eggs, chips - my vet encouraged me to just keep him eating, whatever it took.

I notice you are in Ontario - not sure what part of the province you're from, but so am I - if there is any way I can help, please PM me.

Tohru1529

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I am praying for your bird. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Josie was down to 68g from 75g after the accident. I'm pleased to report that she is now back up to 72g, although it is unclear how much of that weight gain is attributed to sponge cake :lol: I've cut sponge cake from her diet yesterday, and she has still maintained her weight, so I think we're good! She's eating the Roudybush mini pellets now (she ate Roudybush medium pre-accident, so she's still struggling a bit with pellets, but one step at a time :D ). Also, she is now completely off all meds.

animallover

Jogging around the block
Prayers that Josie gets better real fast. And hugs and warm thoughts for you. It was a accident so don't blame yourself. Keep us posted. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awesome!!!!

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Aww shame poor Josie! I hope she gets better very soon so she can go back to eating her pellets.
Hahahahaha i would never have thought of feeding a bird sponge cake, but if it helps with the weight then what the hell.
Hope all goes well with her!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
lol, I didn't intentionally introduce sponge cake into her diet. I simply had some one day and she decided it was the best thing ever. So when she had the accident and was refusing all the foods I gave her, I thought to try sponge cake again since it seemed the better alternative to her starving. Unfortunately, I've now created a monster!

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Try a good quality multi-grain bread or, if you can, make her birdy bread. I do it in my bread machine, I put everything in it before I go to bed and it's ready in the morning (my birds adore it!).

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought I'd post a picture for those interested in seeing what Josie's injury looks like right now. It's much better than before (when she first got it, she was bleeding all over), and it's even smoothed out a tiny bit. She can eat and play fine now, it's just a matter of appearance :) She's still my pretty little girl.

IMG_1866.JPG

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I'm glad she is improving! That looks painful.... poor baby.

:hug8:

CrystalLeo

Real Name
Christi
Ouch! Shame looks like that really must have hurt!
I'm glad that it's getting so much better. It looks good as well, I'm glad that it isn't hampering her in any way.
Keep us updated!