• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Joining the Club

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A neighbour of mine had recently obtained a pair of zebra finches but unfortunately she passed a couple of weeks ago. Although she hadn't mentioned them in her will she had left a note stating that their future should be decided by her 'budgie loving neighbour'. She never could remember my name.
Her son has already said he won't object to me deciding their future and has already said he didn't want them. The lady has two daughters we haven't heard from as yet so these two are foster birds for now.
They've been at the vet's until this morning for screening and are back with me now with a clean bill of health. A little malnutrition when I took them in but they've recovered their weight just fine.
I introduce to you Bonnie and Clyde:
IMG20210706111315~2.jpg IMG20210706111322~2.jpg IMG20210706111327~2.jpg
I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about mutations.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my word, are they cute! Welcome for a while, Bonnie and Clyde. Much cuter than the originals in my opinion. :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're so cute! You will be blessed for taking in the pets of someone who passed away. :)

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A neighbour of mine had recently obtained a pair of zebra finches but unfortunately she passed a couple of weeks ago. Although she hadn't mentioned them in her will she had left a note stating that their future should be decided by her 'budgie loving neighbour'. She never could remember my name.
Her son has already said he won't object to me deciding their future and has already said he didn't want them. The lady has two daughters we haven't heard from as yet so these two are foster birds for now.
They've been at the vet's until this morning for screening and are back with me now with a clean bill of health. A little malnutrition when I took them in but they've recovered their weight just fine.
I introduce to you Bonnie and Clyde:
View attachment 387998 View attachment 387999 View attachment 388000
I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts about mutations.
How amazing of the lady to leave them to you - best decision she could have made. :heart:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Bonnie and Clyde look so gorgeous! They have the classic red beak of a zebra finch but their bodies are a light cream... very interesting! I wish you the best of luck with them :D

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww they’re so cute and I don’t know why but their names suit them perfectly, better watch out these two may shoot you dead for some seed :rofl:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice birds mate, you keeping them ?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Nice birds mate, you keeping them ?
If I can. Much depends on the neighbour's daughters but if the son is right in what he has said then things are looking rather good.
I just have to hear from the solicitor.
I never realised how sweet these little birds sound, especially as dusk rolls in :D

Jogging around the block
Adorable lil things! Glad you took them :) Hmm, I don't know the mutation but it's beautiful alright! Maybe @finchly could tell you the mutation
The noises are cute alright, there's multiple phases from my experience haha, first it's cute, then it's slightly irritating, then it's excessive, then it becomes part of daily life and you can't live without it :roflmao:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
So cute! Sorry, I don’t have a clue about the mutations-they’ve always befuddled me! :D;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're adorable! I love watching finches. They have some at the Aviary here and they fly around in a big bird room. They are just really cute to watch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have any idea how old they are? Enjoy them.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you have any idea how old they are? Enjoy them.
I have no idea. They do seem very young though. Might just be their new surroundings but Clyde hasn't broken into song yet, just chatter going on between them.

first it's cute, then it's slightly irritating, then it's excessive, then it becomes part of daily life and you can't live without it
Oh joy!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cool! Are they young, by chance?
The front/right is a nice penguin mutation, female.
The left or back one is intriguing, I see Florida Fancy but there’s that littl bit of black breast lines showing, these things make me think it is a young male. If it’s not young, it has some pied mixed in or it’s crossed with something, most likely bengalese “society finch.”
Either way, they’re cute!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are they young, by chance?
I have a feeling they are. Our local pet stores only sell fledglings so it's highly likely they are no more than 5 weeks past fledging.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As is typical with me, I pondered a question overnight and am now back to ask--will young B&C here get on with the budgies? In other words, given enough space, can they be out of cage at the same time?

Jogging around the block
@Kassiani I actually house my budgie and finches together, they get along fine as long as everyone has enough space to get away from each other. It probably depends on the individual birds a lot though

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Kassiani I actually house my budgie and finches together, they get along fine as long as everyone has enough space to get away from each other. It probably depends on the individual birds a lot though
The vet said to me there's a great chance they could integrate into the budgie flock just fine. I won't even contemplate letting them out together until I know what's going to happen. If they stay and they won't integrate then I'll have to get another flight cage. The cage they're in right now is their original tall one - far from ideal but they're familiar with it.