• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Johari "Peggy" Lovebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Johari is the 1st bird I got from a breeder, picking her out at 6 weeks old

Our first meeting:

I named her Johari (Swahili for "Jewel") & visited her till she could come home

Her 1st night home:

I was crushed at her 1st vet visit to learn she had metabolic bone disease & a fractured left leg. Her X Rays showed leg bones that looked liked cooked noodles. The breeder immediately offered to exchange her but after some serious soul searching I decided she needed a home, splayed legs or not.

She turned out to be a funny, smart, vocal little darling. With one HUGE bad habit. She is a biter like none other I have ever had! She loves to be on my person but has to chomp every few minutes, just to let me know she is there.

But she also loves to play on her play gym, sing, talk (says Baby & Pretty Bird as well as a full range of GCC noises) & take baths. Her record to date--that I know of--is 4 baths before noon!

Three weeks ago she got inside my coat & got tangled in the lining.I cut her out but there was still a band wrapped round her leg that I couldn't get off. We dashed to the vet who removed the culprit & sent us home with antibiotics & pain meds.

Time for your meds, my little birdie burrito:

No thank you:

To no avail :( On10/15/10 she had her left foot & part of her leg amputated;

But it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She is walking around on her little stump like nothing has changed. She already had a funny little hop-waddle, due to her splayed legs. And her cage & play gym were already adapted for her "challenge". So I guess the only change is that she is even MORE precious (& expensive) than ever!

Itty Bitty Stitches--Avian Vets are AWESOME

She's back to normal already, beak grinding, trying to find nesting sites, and biting the hand that feeds her!

(Her little pink stump is between the bottom of her left wing & the lock on the file cabinet in the rear)

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Your both amazing!! Thanks for sharing her story.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how wonderfully heartwarming...bless you for taking care of this little sweetheart

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
What a special baby you got there. :hug8: Thanks for giving her a wonderful home.

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
she's precious! thnx for giving her a nice loving home :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Johari is soo pretty... :) Thank you soo much for taking her in, when others would have not have been as kind and would have returned her... My Mikey is a disabled birdie as well, he's missing his left toes.. My Mikey likes to hang out on top of his cage so I put a bathmat there its easier for him to walk around... :heart: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.