• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Joey has also vomited :(

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. I’ve just had a look at Joeys cage cover and noticed he has vomited. I’m so stressed and worried because of what happened to Kya (she passed away a month or so after her vomiting started). He has been eating a lot more seeds as I have been treating him since he has been grieving. I will be taking him to the vets but does anyone think over eating could be a possibility?
I don’t know what is going wrong. I clean his cage every day, replace his food and water daily and wash the bowls. I give vegetables, supplements, pellets etc - all in date, washed thoroughly. I don’t know what more I can do at this point :(

My avian vet will likely not be back in until Monday, and the other vets always do the same and put them on the generic antibiotics. I will monitor him until Monday to see if he vomits at all again and then hopefully we can get some more answers this time. He has always been a healthy bird I can’t believe this :(

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
The last thing my vet wanted me to try before Kya passed was ACV in her water (1.6ml in 100ml water) so over the weekend I will give that to Joey and see if there’s any difference. I just am not ready to go through anything again. Also joey is so hard to handle, especially for medicine. I had to medicate him for 3 days last month just as a precautionary thing and it was awful…

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Overeating can cause vomiting. Just keep an eye on him and try not to stress too much around him. Vomiting does not always mean they will die at any second and if he isn’t constantly vomiting that could be a good sign. My budgies have vomited before over the years and have been completely fine!

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Overeating can cause vomiting. Just keep an eye on him and try not to stress too much around him. Vomiting does not always mean they will die at any second and if he isn’t constantly vomiting that could be a good sign. My budgies have vomited before over the years and have been completely fine!
I really really hope it is the over eating. I’m going to cut down completely on the seeds and do the ACV and hopefully I see a difference this weekend. I think I’m just in a big panic after everything. Thank you so much

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I don’t know the history, but could this be regurgitating rather than vomiting? This is the breeding season. If a budgie is vomiting the vomit will be all over his/her face as he/she shakes his/her head.

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
I don’t know the history, but could this be regurgitating rather than vomiting? This is the breeding season. If a budgie is vomiting the vomit will be all over his/her face as he/she shakes her head.
It’s definitely vomiting. With my last bird we saw the sick splattered all over the black cage cover in the morning - and that’s where I saw it now. I haven’t seen him be actually be sick, but I did see him violently shake his head a couple times in the past few days. That being said these days have been the days he has eaten lots more. I’m going to cut down on that and see how he does

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
How about putting avian probiotics in the water, if you have any.
Yeah, he’s been getting probiotics for a couple of months (was also recommended when kya was ill)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If this were my bird I would be adding ACV (with the mother) to the water and getting to the AV asap.

I would also be weighing the bird each morning to monitor weight.
I would not reduce seeds or other foods at this point until you have a diagnosis from the vet and recommendations from them, some gut problems cause birds to eat more as they ae not digesting food properly so they eat more of it to get the nutrients they need.

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
If this were my bird I would be adding ACV (with the mother) to the water and getting to the AV asap.

I would not reduce seeds or other foods at this point until you have a diagnosis from the vet and recommendations from them, some gut problems cause birds to eat more as they ae not digesting food properly so they eat more of it to get the nutrients they need.
Thank you- I will add the ACV to his water asap in the morning. And I will phone the vets to get the appointment with the AV.
The seed situation - I have used seeds as treats for him for a long time but this is the most seeds I’ve ever really given him. He has 24/7 access to his pellets which he’s been eating at a normal rate and he gets fresh veg daily. So I think I’ll go back to giving him some seeds still as treats but not to the extent I have been until Monday.
Other than the sick, he has been his usual self, playing lots and eating as usual. I haven’t seen other changes in his behaviour

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Good news - once again no sick. Maybe the ACV is helping :) regardless I will contact the vets tomorrow to make sure everything is okay but he seems good in himself so hopefully the ACV is sorting it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That’s great to hear.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Great news glad there’s no more sick

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
One of my birds will stuff herself with seeds if I pour a fresh batch, which will sometimes cause her to feel ill and vomit.
So what I do now is stir the food after I pour it so all her favorite seeds arent just laying on top for her to pick off. She has to dig around, which slows down her eating. It seems like its been helping her.

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
One of my birds will stuff herself with seeds if I pour a fresh batch, which will sometimes cause her to feel ill and vomit.
So what I do now is stir the food after I pour it so all her favorite seeds arent just laying on top for her to pick off. She has to dig around, which slows down her eating. It seems like its been helping her.
Bless her. It could be a possibility. I don’t have any seeds available to him in the cage I was hand feeding them as treats while he was out - I just think I was a bit too generous :laughing2: but yeah since reducing the seeds and giving ACV he has been better. Hopefully it was a one off!

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Bless her. It could be a possibility. I don’t have any seeds available to him in the cage I was hand feeding them as treats while he was out - I just think I was a bit too generous :laughing2: but yeah since reducing the seeds and giving ACV he has been better. Hopefully it was a one off!
How is your bird doing now?

avian2023

Strolling the yard

Thanks for your reply, sorry for jumping in between and asking question. I feed my bugies mashing the Tops Pelletts with some warm water and feed them (Tops Pelletts are bit big for these guys and this is the only way they are eating.all finished in one hour and i will discard even if they dint touched in 2 hours).. will it be okay to add few drops of ACV with mother to this pelllets while mashing and feed them.. for two bugies can i use 2-3 drops and how often i can do that.. thank you. I mash 1tbs of TOPS pellets every night and throughout the day they eat Harrissons pellets and greens/fruits and tops seed mix.. Thank you.