• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jericho broke Marvin's foot

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That looks a lot better than the first one after it barely started fusing together. I'd love to have a mri of my arm after all this time since it was broken and see if anything has fused back together. I think your little girl is going to adapt fine and do well with time.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she continues to heal. It must be frustrating for her, and confusing as well.

How are Oscar and Jericho handling the changes in routine?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Did the Vet have you change the diet any to assist in the healing process?
We reviewed Marvin's diet early in the engagement and no changes were recommended.
Thanks for the link -- it corroborated that we are on the right path.

How are Oscar and Jericho handling the changes in routine?
Oscar is amazing and he feels like that family member or friend you can exchange knowing looks with in tense or awkward situations.

Jericho is doing alright as well. He gets woken up in the morning last (which he doesn't notice -- thankfully I have lots of space) and gets placed in his cage when I can't adequately supervise him (which currently equates to 2-3 hours per day) and he has actually started going to his cage on his own at random times. I continue to work with him on his aggression, which is primarily territorial so recognizing that trigger has been helpful. I've also realized that I was taking his good behaviour for granted, and have started to deliver a steady stream of positive reinforcement when he's good (which is most of the time).

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Tuesday update (which covers last Tuesday until today)

Marvin's splint was removed last Tuesday just 1 day short of 8 weeks. During the visit, she was sedated, the splint was removed, and the integrity of the bone was felt & x-ray'd.

Latest images (I wish there was better consistency between imaging sessions)...

1691525318338.png
(not much change from the last iffy angle)

1691525421666.png
(not much change from the last positive angle)​

She needs to recover movement in her splinted joints, which isn't a surprise after almost 8 weeks, and that means keeping her quiet and reducing her activity for 2 weeks. She was moving around on the right foot as if it was still splinted at first. The toes were held straight and extended, and the foot was fairly internally rotated, which is probably a combination of the new curvature of the bone, and also how it was splinted.

Over the past week, her toes can curl 30-40% of normal mobility (making a full foot-fist would be 100% in my estimation), and her ankle is also slowly gaining some flexion.

In the image below, the red arrow is the break, and the green arrow is the ankle. Marvin's ankle is approximately equal to the angle in this image, which is also making her toes be at a similar angle. My observation of the others, when they're perching, is the metatarsus is quite close to horizontal, so the ankle has a fair bit of flexibility missing.

1691526041008.png

The first image of the foot once we were home...

1691525656394.png
(not bad for being wrapped up for 8 weeks, and it's already looking much better after a bath and some time)​

Some successes over the past week...

Marvin did a step-up with her right (injured) foot a couple days ago, and her toes are somewhat more responsive than they were. Toes were mostly flat and unmoving, and now they're slightly curled and move a bit when gently touched.

When she was sitting with me last night, she balanced on her right foot and scratched her head with her left, which made me quite happy to see.

Overall, I can feel the majority of her weight on her left foot when she's perched on me, so both those actions were a step in a positive direction.

This coming week will be more of the same slow gentle recovery, and the vet said no follow up was needed unless we ran into issues.

She's happy, and I'm happy.

Costs

Previous: $1920.85
Today: $232.27 (no charge for last week's remote session)
Total: $2153.12

Kilometres

Previous: 2077km
Today: 341km
Total: 2418km

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Non sequitur but I never realized how beautiful Marvin’s colors are! So vibrant. I’m wishing you both continued good luck on this healing journey.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You write very well and I'm wishing you both the best of luck and good health