• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jeffrey, my beloved Goffins, passed yesterday morning

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
Am utterly heart broken and wrecked, my days literally revolves around him and his neediness and now I feel so empty. It was sudden death, he had been a tad bit quieter the past two days after lunch but the moment I poked him, he went back to his usual self. Didn’t cause any concern. I noticed he wasn’t chatty yesterday morning and thought it was odd, peeked into the cage from a hole in his cover and noticed he wasn’t on his perch I immediately felt my heart drop because I knew there was something wrong. He was dead face down, like he was sleeping. Oh how I wish I could’ve held him and comforted him in his last moments.

Necropsy was performed two hours later, he had an enlarged liver with spots. Everything else looked fine. Liver was sent off to pathology for further testing. Vet says she doesn’t know, could have been a blood clot leading to a stoke. Could’ve been a congenital disease. Hopefully will get a better answer when lab results come back.

Am just gutted, he was only 12 going on 13 this year. I adopted him July 2020 and thought we would go into middle age together. My YNA can sense something is wrong, thankfully she is healthy and fine. I just keep wondering if there’s anything I could’ve done. I worked so hard to improve his diet. I wonder if it’s the homemade toys. I just keep wondering. I miss the little guy so much already. It’s going to be really hard overcoming this loss.

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. He was a cute little guy. If he had an enlarged liver my guess is it was either something genetic or it wasn't proper care before you got him. Some of these birds have such a rough start in life. Try to take comfort in knowing that you gave him a loving home and that he was happy and well cared for.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss
They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss:sorrow:

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I am very sorry for your loss. He was a cute little guy. If he had an enlarged liver my guess is it was either something genetic or it wasn't proper care before you got him. Some of these birds have such a rough start in life. Try to take comfort in knowing that you gave him a loving home and that he was happy and well cared for.
Thank you and everyone else for your wishes. I definitely don’t know his history well, he had his first parront for about 10 years then bounced around after that until I got him. He didn’t eat and fruit or veg, was on a diet of Zupreem and seed so I’ve spent a lot of time getting him to eat cooked foods and integrating veggies in that way. Vet said that it’s likely not fatty liver as he was young. But I do wonder what the spots are and how long he’s had liver problems. I didn’t realize goffins were so prone to health issues until he was gone and have been reading up to it the past day. Would regular x rays have been needed? Blood testing? There’s certainly a hole in my heart and life now, I know if I’m ever to adopt a second one again it would be a goffins but I know Jeffrey can never be replaced :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I am so sorry for you loss.
I know how these little white boogers can worm their way into every moment of you life.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sorrow:I’m so very sorry for the loss of your sweet friend.:sadhug2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We beat ourselves up more than we should. I've been there, I know.

He was loved at the end of his life. Take comfort in that.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry...

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry for your loss.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It is certainly very hard when they are no longer here. These beautiful little birds have a way of capturing our hearts.
You gave him a loving home and he passed knowing that. He will stay in your heart for always. My thoughts are with you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry for your loss. We never know when things can spring on us, it can happen to younger birds or older birds. You didn't do anything wrong. All that matters is that you loved him, adopted him and gave him caring attention. Sending warm thoughts. :sadhug: