• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jealous Behaviors

Julie260

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julie K
Hi friends!! Looking for advice on my White Bellied Caique's new behaviors...

A little back story: Mango is 5 years old and I've had him a few months. He's so fantastic, active, and hilarious, and I love him, attitude and all. He was such a catch. We also have a blue and gold baby Macaw (7 months) and a Meyers Parrot (4 years).

The Meyers parrot is the newest member, having been added about 2 weeks ago. Since then, Mango has been doing some new things like food grinding and ripping up his newspaper that's in the bottom of his cage. Clearly, this has something to do with Rocky. I couldn't get him to barely touch his pellets and now he grinds them all into dust and empties his bowl. I've put the screen down to keep him from his newspaper as well. Other than this, I don't see any other changes, but I want to see if I can curb these behaviors. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Julie

Tracer58

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy
I'm new to bird ownership, I will be watching for changes in behaviors, good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
it's been said that it is easier to introduce a caique into a household with other species than it is to introduce a new species into a household with a caique, and that has been my experience, too. I'm sure that Mango is a little upset about his new flock mate. Be sure that you give attention to Mango FIRST. let him know that he's still number one to you. Maybe do training/play with the Meyers in a different room for a while. Let Mango get slowly accustomed to him. The caique will try to attack the Meyers through the cage bars. (I had a caique and a Senegal many years ago. Caiques only, now!).

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I would watch Mango's interactions with the new bird when the cages are not far apart. That will tell you a lot. But I wouldnt be surprised to see agression. These birds do not cope well with change. Particularly when we have them cooped up in limited space and then introduce a strange bird.