• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jayde Update

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's been a little over a week now that she's been here. I think she's doing well, although she hasn't chewed up anything she was meant to chew up, only things she wasn't meant to.... such as a few pieces of a circular rope swing that she likes to sleep on top of (not in it, within the circle, but on top!), and the rope for a wooden toy to hang by! :rolleyes: You can see it in the following image! (the red and white circular swing)

I knew she was going to be "hands off", but what I didn't expect was for her to *love* scritches! I still have to be careful to not be nipped or bitten though! Charlie tends to make her uneasy and started her when he squawks. I have learned that the time she will bite the least when getting scritches is when she appears the most "aggressive"! She'll fluff up her body feathers and then fluff up her head feathers! When her body feathers are more sleek, she's more on the alert than when she fluffs up. If I scritch her right at the shoulder joint, she will also open up her wings where I can see her unusual red feathers in her wings. As far as I know, she's not supposed to have them!

Since Jayde wont step up, I've been wheeling her cage around so that she can still be "with" me without having to leave the safety of her cage. She seems fine by this.

Last Saturday, I was watching over my nephew for a bit and trying to help him get dressed so he could go play outside. This resulted in me being on the floor next to her cage. Curious as she is, she kept climbing from the top of the cage down to the stand and back up! It was cute! If I sit next to the cage, she likes to climb down to one of the doors so she can be close to me, and being that I was on the floor, she had to climb down further!

Eventually, she got up the courage to actually climb to my shoulder so she could sit with me! At first, she wanted to chew on my ear a little too hard before deciding to preen it. I still have to be careful about her being startled or scared and biting/nipping me on the neck/ear/face area, but she is a sweetheart!

And just a video (with no image) of Charlie, Jayde and I! I'm giggling and saying "Peek-A-Boo!", Charlie is *loudly* laughing and Jayde (quietly) is cackling in the background! Towards the end she makes an odd coughing noise!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
She is cute and beautiful at the same time. Congrats on bringing her home!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I used the sit on the floor in front of the cage method for 2 of my birds. It took Pete 5 or 6 tries of coming down before he got on my hand.

One thing you might want to try....Pete doesn't step up, he prefers to step down! It took me awhile to figure it out. He's still like that, lol!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:heart::heart::heart: Love updates!!! She looks very calm in the video. She'll be regurgitating in no time.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing! It sounds like she is doing very well! Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I used the sit on the floor in front of the cage method for 2 of my birds. It took Pete 5 or 6 tries of coming down before he got on my hand.

One thing you might want to try....Pete doesn't step up, he prefers to step down! It took me awhile to figure it out. He's still like that, lol!
It doesn't matter how I present my hand or arm, she bites/avoids it. Covered, uncovered, lower, mid-height, etc. For now, I'll keep with the shoulder until I can get her more comfortable with hands! I'm hoping that once she is able to fly that she'll fly to me instead of having me to present my shoulder every time I'd like to get her away from her cage. I really feel that flight *will* help her, and she'd be so much happier flighted.

:heart::heart::heart: Love updates!!! She looks very calm in the video. She'll be regurgitating in no time.
As I mentioned to you previously, she already has! Not that I care to be fed... :rofl: It's, ewww... 13 years of parrots and I've never had one regurgitate and share food with me! Not even Charlie who regurgitates frequently! But he doesn't offer me his food, he just slurps it back down! :glare:

I think she's starting to settle in now... at least she's not biting nearly as hard and is being more gentle. Still getting used to things, at least! And I can't take Jayde anywhere without taking Charlie, too! She doesn't like him, but if I take only her, she flock calls to Charlie until I get him... then she goes quiet! Charlie on the other hand doesn't seem to care when I take only him! He completely ignores her when she flock calls to him from her cage! :rolleyes: And I think she's gotten louder! :hehe: Gotta crank up the volume to match Charlie! ;)

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She does seem to be settling in! She is just a gorgeous bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have I mentioned she likes kisses??? And she makes kissing noises... and sometimes she strings out the kissing noise to make it one longer kiss! :hehe:

And Jayde loves to bath! Came home tonight to one dry bird, over half her water dish empty and the cage papers wet! Look at Charlie's cage and it's the same situation! :rofl: Charlie *loves* to bathe, but doesn't bathe *nearly* as often as Jayde does... but since she's bathing, he has to bathe too! So although they don't get along, I am rather amused by the fact that Jayde flock calls to Charlie and Charlie copies her when she bathes! :rolleyes:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And I think she's gotten louder! :hehe: Gotta crank up the volume to match Charlie! ;)
:eek: Holy smokes!

I am rather amused by the fact that Jayde flock calls to Charlie and Charlie copies her when she bathes! :rolleyes:
Hmm, perhaps Charlie enjoys a wet girlie. :lol: