• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jay is now a changed bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Since moving back home to Wales, after being in another home for just a month Jay did not settle in with us very easily. I tried everything I could think of and in the meanwhile giving him time did not work either as he attacked whenever he could. Usually me, wonder why?
About two boxes of sticking plasters later, and my right eye developing a nervous twitch everytime I walked past him while he was flying free. Out of the blue on one of the Sunday mornings I rang his first owner,who is seriously ill to give an update on the three birds that were hers originally. I asked her was she up to having a chat with Jay, she already knew the score.
He went mad to come out of the cage and tried hard to get as near to the voice he loved that was talking to him from down the phone. Now he had not seen her for just over six months but did he remember?Did he just. He kept saying hullo hullo, step up over and over and then listening to what she was saying to him. That was over two weeks ago and he is a changed bird. There has been no further biting, he is flying over to rest on my head and shoulder, also on John's that thrills him to bits, as that is the first bird to go willingly to him.
Told his previous owner that he is flattening himself on his perch with his wings splayed and his tail fanned out when I am near him, what did it mean? I thought he wanted to start attacking me again. She said no he did that when he wanted a head scratch or a smooth down his back!
Tonight if he does it while out, I am going to take a deep breath,grit my teeth and give it a try! if you do not hear from me again it is because all my digits are missing!:rofl:

Attachments

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Ann, is it possible for you to get his former owner to make a tape of her voice and sayings for him?
This just might help him in the years to come...he misses her and having her voice even for a few minutes have settled him in for you....Just an idea...:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing BF has a great idea

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
That is a good idea Billiefaye for sometime down the line maybe, but at the moment she is finishing off her chemo therapy and having a rough time of it. On the 29th December she is going into hospital many miles from home for her first treatment of radio therapy.
Also has things have improved dramatically with Jay did not want to give him false hopes that his previous owner may materialise for him further down the line? It is never going to happen, so did not want to start some kind of confusion? Fingers crossed I will get away with the head scratch tonight and not come to any harm!:rofl:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

LOL - I know about that nervous twitch very well! And yes, do scratch his head, approach him slowly and repeat the phrase you use for it over and over. With aggressive birds, you need to take chances or the relationship will never develop. You need to give them every single chance for them to 'be nice' and, a lot of them will end up badly for you but, eventually, he will behave.

I took in the senegal from hell three years ago (11 years old, two owners, never out of the cage, super-duper aggressive!) and thought I would never, ever be able to touch this bird because he's the meanest son of a gun, hates all humans (and who can blame him been kept in a smallish cage all his life!) and most especially me because the female he fell in love with (Tobita) at first sight absolutely loves me. But, you know what? He now flies to my shoulder and perches there without attacking me and, sometimes, he even lets me scratch his head! This from a bird that would dive in attack mode as soon as I walked into the birdroom and grab hold of my face and would not let go no matter how hard I pulled while blood was running down my face. You should see the scars I have from him! During the summer, I have to tell people that the marks they see on my feet and ankles are not from some weird disease but bird bites. He even bit off a piece of my left ear! So you can well imagine my trepidation the first few times he perched on my shoulder! But it worked and it will work with you, too.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you for your words of encouragement Beatriz, we can all do with those once in awhile! That is why I love the people on this site, they tend to be around when you really need them. Many thanks, fingers crossed for later today.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ann, if we only knew what goes on in the heads of these magnificent creatures we would surely try to fix it. I hope tonight brings a breakthrough. :hug8:

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Ann that's so good to hear. :)

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Ann, is it possible for you to get his former owner to make a tape of her voice and sayings for him?
This just might help him in the years to come...he misses her and having her voice even for a few minutes have settled him in for you....Just an idea...:hug8:
That is an awesome idea BF!!!

Anne - glad to hear he is a changed bird! I hope you are able to come back with all digits and nose still intact!:hehe:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
That is Great news Anne:hug8:Good luck with the scritchs tonight:hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi Ann and good luck
Just FYI, my BFA will only allow scratches if my hand comes in from lower than him. If it approaches from overhead like a predator he will try to bite. So you might want to take that into consideration and see if both work for Jay.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you all for that. The scritches did not happen last night. Jay was in a real foul mood and talk about a temper tantrum! No idea what set him off but think like a toddler he just needed his sleep.
Chaz had been winding him up and he can do that so easily. Jay just wanted to get away from him and flew over onto my head for awhile, then back to the perch. John got him to step up and deposited him in on his perch ready for bed.
I am about to give them some new toys and make sure they do not freak them out before bedtime, then it will be back to the drawing board and start again! Things looking bright at the moment as he is all sunshine and light, but found with an Amazon it can change with a drop of a hat!:rofl:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It was worth a try Ann :) So it didn't work out this time, no big deal. I am sure one of these days we will be reading that he finally came around.

Status
Not open for further replies.