• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java's on Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just picked up 2 weeks' worth of the oral medicine that he'll get twice a day. I was also advised to give him probiotics every 72 hours as well. Will the Baytril reduce inflammation in his foot? Could anyone tell me what your experience with Baytril has been? Thank you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic and has been the antibiotic of choice for birds for too many years. It is rapidly adsorbed and deeply distributed in the body. Enrofloxacin has no anti-inflammatory action other than by curing a bacterial infection. NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory DrugS) are used with parrots for inflammation and pain. Do not ever give your bird steroids for an anti-inflammatory. Steroids lower the immune system to dangerously low levels and expose your bird to many really nasty nasties. Probiotics should be given along with (about 1 hour after the Baytril dosage) to replace the good bacteria that Baytril kill in the digestive system.

Metacam and Celebrex are the most common NSAIDS given to parrots and both are very effective for pain and for inflammation.

Here are possible side effects of Baytril in parrots; Loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea are the only ones that are fairly common
Enrofloxacin may result in these side effects:

• Loss of appetite.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Lethargy.
  • Convulsions.
  • Seizures in pets with CNS disorders.
  • Cataracts if given long-term.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic and has been the antibiotic of choice for birds for too many years. It is rapidly adsorbed and deeply distributed in the body. Enrofloxacin has no anti-inflammatory action other than by curing a bacterial infection. NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory DrugS) are used with parrots for inflammation and pain. Do not ever give your bird steroids for an anti-inflammatory. Steroids lower the immune system to dangerously low levels and expose your bird to many really nasty nasties. Probiotics should be given along with (about 1 hour after the Baytril dosage) to replace the good bacteria that Baytril kill in the digestive system.

Metacam and Celebrex are the most common NSAIDS given to parrots and both are very effective for pain and for inflammation.

Here are possible side effects of Baytril in parrots; Loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea are the only ones that are fairly common
Enrofloxacin may result in these side effects:

• Loss of appetite.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Lethargy.
  • Convulsions.
  • Seizures in pets with CNS disorders.
  • Cataracts if given long-term.
Do I give him probiotics an hour after every dose?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nope. Every other day would be fine the keep it up for 5/6 days after he is through with the Baytril.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've noticed a change in Java's poop. He's still taking Baytril and has 3 days left before he's done with it. Are these side effects?

This is overnight
20180930_133202.jpg

And this is today. All of his poops have been like this
20180930_133121.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
What has he eaten?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What has he eaten?
Chop: black rice, broccoli, grated carrots, quinoa, sprouted TOPs seeds, chia seeds, graywood flower buds, and a little banana, orange, and pineapple baby food. I use that to give him his medicine.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Brittany0208 Unless Java has eaten something like blackberries, his poops should not be that black. I looked up pictures of black rice and if it is really that black, it could very well cause his poops to be black. Have you given it to him before? Don't give him any more black rice today and see how his poops are. If they are still that black in the morning, get him to the Dr.. It looks very much like upper gastric bleeding.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 Unless Java has eaten something like blackberries, his poops should not be that black. I looked up pictures of black rice and if it is really that black, it could very well cause his poops to be black. Have you given it to him before? Don't give him any more black rice today and see how his poops are. If they are still that black in the morning, get him to the Dr.. It looks very much like upper gastric bleeding.
He gets black rice pretty regularly, and his poop has never looked like this before. The black rice is more on the dark purple side. He'll get pellets tonight. I'll be giving Dr. Dixon a call first thing in the morning.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would the Baytril change his poop like that?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please do and don't give him any more Baytril until you talk to the Dr.. Baytril can and does sometimes cause a breakdown of the crop lining (ulcers) and subsequent bleeding. I know - it happened to my Hank BUT he had been on Baytril for weeks and weeks.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Save that black poop in a plastic sandwich bag, in case the vet wants to see it.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please do and don't give him any more Baytril until you talk to the Dr.. Baytril can and does sometimes cause a breakdown of the crop lining (ulcers) and subsequent bleeding. I know - it happened to my Hank BUT he had been on Baytril for weeks and weeks.
Okay, will do. I'll call Dr. Dixon first thing in the morning, and they'll probably want me to bring him in, which I have no problem with. Looks like I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. Now I'm worried

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Save that black poop in a plastic sandwich bag, in case the vet wants to see it.
I had already cleaned it up and tossed out the napkin after I took the picture. I'll save all of his poops from now until morning.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
sendinf positive thoughts he Will be okay:hug8::hug8::hug8: Try not to stress to much although that is so hard:hug8:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
sendinf positive thoughts he Will be okay:hug8::hug8::hug8: Try not to stress to much although that is so hard:hug8:
Thank you. I really hope it's nothing. This is the first time his poop has ever looked like that, even when he first came home and was malnourished, his poop looked normal.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's going to be ok - you don't hesitate to go to the vet. The first time the black poop happened to Hank, I panicked and ran to the vet - it was the blackberries I had fed him. Education is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.