• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Java's newest behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I've emailed back and forth with Kim a few times when I first got Java. I was actually looking for an Amazon or a mini macaw to adopt when I stumbled upon Java's (he was unnamed, being a former breeder) listing. I didn't know what a Vasa was until I was looking him in the face. It's been a task and a half to find information about them, and since he's my first parrot, I'm learning as I go. I have no other species to compare him to, so I'm seeing everything at face value. It's been an adventure.

I had a similar experience once. Went to a a breeder's aviary to see her ringnecks and passed by some greys and macaws and saw these very strange, very clearly angry parrots I had no idea about. Turns out they were hawkheaded parrots. Smaller in my online research than how I remembered them from seeing them in person (about the size of a TAG) but they were so displeased with my being there that they were puffed up and displaying and looked much bigger for it.

The first bird I had was a white IRN when I was around 16. Did a lot of learning after having gotten her also, but that is more for my being a silly kiddo than the lack of information available. It's definitely an adventure. The most we can do is try our best sometimes. Java seems very happy in a pet home for a former breeder, so you must be doing a great job. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a similar experience once. Went to a a breeder's aviary to see her ringnecks and passed by some greys and macaws and saw these very strange, very clearly angry parrots I had no idea about. Turns out they were hawkheaded parrots. Smaller in my online research than how I remembered them from seeing them in person (about the size of a TAG) but they were so displeased with my being there that they were puffed up and displaying and looked much bigger for it.

The first bird I had was a white IRN when I was around 16. Did a lot of learning after having gotten her also, but that is more for my being a silly kiddo than the lack of information available. It's definitely an adventure. The most we can do is try our best sometimes. Java seems very happy in a pet home for a former breeder, so you must be doing a great job. :)

I always thought Hawkheads were cool-looking, but I've read that they tend to be aggressive. I could be wrong about that though. I didn't get to meet Java before I adopted him since he was in FL and I'm in TN, so I sort of took a chance, and it actually didn't occur to me that he could hate my guts when we met. Luckily, that wasn't the case. It's been just over a year and he's still coming out of his shell bit by bit. He's definitely spoiled :heart:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I always thought Hawkheads were cool-looking, but I've read that they tend to be aggressive. I could be wrong about that though. I didn't get to meet Java before I adopted him since he was in FL and I'm in TN, so I sort of took a chance, and it actually didn't occur to me that he could hate my guts when we met. Luckily, that wasn't the case. It's been just over a year and he's still coming out of his shell bit by bit. He's definitely spoiled :heart:
Oh, I hear the same. In fact it used to be, and still might be, that female hawkheads cost more as pets because they tend to be less hormonal than the males. Hawkheads and caiques seem pretty similar to me and I am a bit too afraid to ever own either. xD
I'll probably have a species a ton less 'feisty' in future. (less feisty than a hawkhead or caique, I mean)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh, I hear the same. In fact it used to be, and still might be, that female hawkheads cost more as pets because they tend to be less hormonal than the males. Hawkheads and caiques seem pretty similar to me and I am a bit too afraid to ever own either. xD
I'll probably have a species a ton less 'feisty' in future. (less feisty than a hawkhead or caique, I mean)
I sometimes feel like parrotlets are very caique like. Since they are such tiny packages it is manageable. However I had wanted a caique, but I asked myself... Could a really handle a parrotlet in a larger body. I don't think I could. Love love my parrotlets, but their society is very spunky, brave and fierce, protective of their people. Imagine my 28g bird in a 5x larger. :eek:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I sometimes feel like parrotlets are very caique like. Since they are such tiny packages it is manageable. However I had wanted a caique, but I asked myself... Could a really handle a parrotlet in a larger body. I don't think I could. Love love my parrotlets, but their society is very spunky, brave and fierce, protective of their people. Imagine my 28g bird in a 5x larger. :eek:
I've heard parrotlets are quite fiesty too!
Amazons, hawkheads, caiques and parrotlets. In fact, I hear mostly that parrotlets are basically just tiny amazons. xD
It's been so long since I've been in aviculture circles though, it's hard to remember when/why I heard what and if it is still considered true or not. Haha.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I've heard parrotlets are quite fiesty too!
Amazons, hawkheads, caiques and parrotlets. In fact, I hear mostly that parrotlets are basically just tiny amazons. xD
It's been so long since I've been in aviculture circles though, it's hard to remember when/why I heard what and if it is still considered true or not. Haha.
Parrotlets are closely related to amazons. However I read of people who have super mellow amazons. I read of people who have amazons who will happily relax on their playstand. Parrotlets are hyper drive during a lot of their day.... but oh those sweet snuggle sessions .. so worth it!

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Britt! :heart::heart::heart: that video. Does Java talk? It's not important, as to owning. I just wondered if he has the possibility... I know very little about him except he's so precious. BTW, I agree it's a look @ me thing.

:hug8:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Britt! :heart::heart::heart: that video. Does Java talk? It's not important, as to owning. I just wondered if he has the possibility... I know very little about him except he's so precious. BTW, I agree it's a look @ me thing.

:hug8:

Thank you. He does not talk although he always has a lot to say lol I read somewhere once that Vasas have similar clarity to a Grey and that they're very talented talkers. Some times it sounds like he's trying to produce words but it's mostly squeaks, barks and gibberish :xflove::heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you. He does not talk although he always has a lot to say lol I read somewhere once that Vasas have similar clarity to a Grey and that they're very talented talkers. Some times it sounds like he's trying to produce words but it's mostly squeaks, barks and gibberish :xflove::heart:
I heard things that almost sounded like words thats a reason I asked. Buddy does that too, he makes parts of words but it's gibberish. He almost says I love you now, I think I taught him it, but its him saying it, not the voicebox sort of noises he makes when he says 1 of his 5 words. :lol:

It's not why I keep him around @ all, it's for that honking he does that says hey I don't like... Then he explodes & I see that puff of feathers ;)

:gbh:

Status
Not open for further replies.