• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Well, he has all his toes, gorgeous feather, so I wouldnt call him special needs in the traditional sence. But he is 25 years old, old for a mitred conure. He has been here a week and we love him. Hes a sweet grumpy old man bird. But he ONLY eats sunflower seeds. My husband was being sneaky though, and got him to eat mashed potato:D Java will eat from your hand, so he put the seeds in the potato, and Java couldnt help but get some potato. We will keep trying, I would so much love to see him chow down on some bidee bread, or an omelette, or whatever besides nasty ol seed. He will eat apple, but so far not grapes, pomogranite, or green stuff. No banana either. No worries, Im not gonna stress him and make him do it. But the other birdees get so much obvious joy from eating treats and whatnot, we want him to have the same joy. I know they watch and learn, so he has been parked next to my meyer parrot, who would eat nuts and bolts if I fed them to him. He is truley a garbage disposal, and Java does watch him. He is even getting vocal:laughing12: NEVER in a million years did I think I would say to myself "I hope the Mitred Conure starts yelling soon!" Maybe thats why my friends rarely visit anymore...he he he:rofl:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sounds like you are in love already...and in time his eating habits will change. Eating a bit of potato is a good start. Just keep trying different foods in different shapes and sizes, cooked and uncooked. He will get curious and try!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
It sounds like you are off to the right start. Just keep offering him different foods like Leslie said. Watching your meyers eat is also a good thing. Jasper is my garbage disposal and Tango will watch him for awhile and then pretty soon he will try it too.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing as everyone has said just keep trying

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh, a mitred yell can be quite loud! lol

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Give him some time...play with the food in front of him and see if he is interested in what you are doing...
I cut up my veggies/fruits about the size of my thumb nail for my birds to eat...bird usually take a bit or two and then go on to something else to try...cooked sweet potato is another good thing to try...I'm giving you some picking bird sites to read to give you some more ideas:
Land of Vos - Articles - Tips for Finicky Eaters
Parrot Nutrition. Grey Feather Toy Creations. Parrot Nutrition, Parrot Care, Bird Articles, Education.
To Peel or Not To Peel: Parrots and Natural Living Foods
Introducing New Foods to Picky Pet Birds
But He Doesn't Like It by Pamela Clark

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Sounds like you are on a great start! I bet you will have him eating all kinds of things soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.