• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java Wood Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop

Rollerblading along the road
I just got a Java Wood tree. I just finished washing it up, and I noticed something weird, maybe it is normal.

What seemed to be small scratches (or grooves), are actually cracks with what seems to be glue filing them in. Is this normal? I did not notice when dry, because the glue or whatever it is, was the same color as the dry wood. Is it a safe and customary procedure when it comes to Java Wood. Wood splits sometimes, it happens. I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

Also, it is normal for this wood to have a strong smell when wet?

Thanks for reading, here are two pictures.

What do you guys think, should I try return it or what??

Last edited:

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
there should not be a strong smell and is it glue in the cracks?

drop

Yes, what I am assuming to be glue, is in the cracks. But it is also on the surface a little, looks like when glue is wiped up. The wood is wet in the picture, any lightness is whatever the stuff is, you can see the "film" beside the cracks. Now that is is dry, this "film" is not noticeable and the filing the same color as the branch, hence the reason why I originally thought they were grooves and not cracks.

Thanks for your help.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That is so odd!! :eek: I don't have any java wood to check for you :(

drop

I know, it's weird. There was no brand name, but after searching the net I think it may be from King's. The store can get King's Cages so deals with them, the base has the same leaf design, cup, and the tree had a similar yellow tag (M followed by three numbers) that I can see on the King's site. I could call the store and ask if it came from King's tomorrow.

Also, mine is one that has those weird pricky growths at the base. This is were the smell seems to be coming from. Just mentioning this in case that is why the perches don't seem to have a scent wherease this tree does. (It did not smell when dry).

I was so anxious to get this tree clean so they could try it out. It figures.

Last edited:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I would return it, they are known to glue them and send them like that. I have a friend in NJ who went to look at a tree for me and it was cracked,they said they would glue it and my friend said no way. She left:) I would send it back and pick another and tell them to make sure they have no cracks

drop

Thanks for your response Magni!

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Every Java wood stand or tree we've bought, has a distinct (but not unpleasant) scent when freshly cleaned & wet. Just as any other natural wood does...but very mild and not offensive at all.

We have several Java wood trees & stands...
none of them have cracks or filler.
But...ours were not from Kings Cages.
Ours were all purchased 5+ years ago; can't recall the company name - Jungle something???

Status
Not open for further replies.