• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jasmine flower *scent* - is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Question: My Jasmine is in full bloom and I just LOVE the scent. Having vases with Jasmine flowers throughout the house used to mean the true beginning of spring to me.

I'm quite sure I've read that Jasmine is toxic to birds but does anyone know if that applies to the scent as well? If I were to place some vases with Jasmine flowers where Ceddy definitely can't get to them but still get exposed to the scent, would that be safe?

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
with all the jasmine that is planted around my area and all the wild birds around i couldnt see how it would be harmfull either. now to me it is it sets my allergies off lol.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jasmine is on the toxic plant list for parrots. That is if the eat it. Not sure of their scent. But you would have to be careful they don't get to the plant.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I wouldn't imagine so. There's tons of flowers that are poisonous to humans, yet we have them all over the place because we love the smell :p
(hydrangea, lily of the valley and hyacinth come to mind right off the top of my head)

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines but thought I'd throw it out here just to see what others think :).
Well, I guess I'll get some to place inside (NOT where Ceddy can reach them)

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My birds will go out of their way to chew on any greenery that gets in the house. If there is a chance of it going in their mouths, you can bet I looked on several lists to make sure it's bird safe. I love lilies, but they are highly toxic to birds, so I don't put them in the house.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think you should be fine. Just make sure they can't get to it to eat it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.