• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardines, Senegal and Meyers Questions

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I have recently been looking into getting a Jardines, Meyers or Senegal (or any other parrot too:rolleyes:) and still have a few questions unanswered, so here they are:geek:

• Are they one person bird?
  • Are they very playful/energetic?
  • Do they get overgrown beaks(I am talking about Jardines specifically because I haven’t heard Senegals have this issue)? If so how often must they be trimmed and how much does it generally cost?
  • How cuddly are they in general? Do they like to lay on their backs a lot (A book I have says they do)?
  • Are they nippy?
  • Is there a reason anyone would choose a Jardines over a Senegal or a Senegal over a Jardines?

• How loud are they (videos would be appreciated)

I am kind of looking for a step up bird, I have experience with cockatiels and green cheek conures. I was also looking for a galah but they sound like they are a rather difficult species to keep and they are also virtually nonexistent in my areao_O so I am looking into other species that might become candidates.

Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jardine's are hard to come across in the United States it seems, especially compared to the other two on your list.

My Jardine's came to me as a 19 year old bird; he'll be 21 this year.

Mine isn't a one person bird; he loves everyone - except other birds ;)

He is very playful in that he loves to chew wood. That's his main thing to do besides whistle. He does try to be funny ;) He doesn't fly or play on his back at all, but he does like to swing and climb a LOT.

I would say the only ones I've seen with overgrown beaks are on bad diets, have a scissor beak, and/or aren't given a lot to chew. Mine goes through $50 to $100 worth of Amazon to macaw sized toys a month.

Ripley isn't cuddly. He likes to be pet for like 5 minutes a day and then he's on his way to play!

He's not particularly nippy - I've only been bitten twice by him. I find his body language very easy to read though so perhaps I just avoid it? Lol I've heard babies can go through a rough nippy period though!

Jardine's are just a gorgeous bird :heart:

They CAN be loud. Ripley tends to whistle and mimic noises vs screaming or talking. His natural call reminds me of a seagull shouting in your ear. So they definitely have the potential to be loud, but mine mostly rings like a cell phone, beeps like a microwave, does car alarm noises, wolf whistles at my neighbors, and yells like a little girl :rofl:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Senegal, Jake:
1) is not a one person bird
2) Even at 34 years of age he is still active although he has slowed down a little bit.
When he was younger he was very playful and energetic and played with a variety of toys.
Doesn't play with his toys as much now but he still LOVES to swing and he likes to make his swing move by himself.
3)He likes to be scratched and will lie on his back.
4)He's not nippy.
5)Can't answer the question about Jardines vs Senegal since I have no experience with Jardines.
6)Not loud at all. He does sound effects, whistles and talks.

He never bugs the other birds and that's a good thing. He's just a sweet guy.

Of course, every bird is an individual. There are Senegals who are nippy, are one person birds and/or don't like to be held and "cuddled".

If you are considering Poicephalus also look into red-bellied and brown-headed parrots.

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Thanks @iamwhoiam your Jake sounds wonderful, I'll look into Senegals some more. Do you know if there is a personality difference between male and female Senegal's?

I was considering a red-bellied but they sound like they are pretty one person birds. Is this a correct assumption?
As for the brown-headed parrots I have done a lot of research into both them and the meyers and found that most people said that there was more difference in individuals than between the two species (correct me if I'm wrong), so for the sake of simplicity I just put meyers although brown-headed parrots are still an option for me :) .

Does anyone have a harness trained poi? One of my goals is to harness train whichever parrot I get. I can't imagine trying to harness train my female cockatiel she really didn't like anything on her back, so she would've probably spent her time chewing on it:confused:, do you think a poi would accept one?

I also have a book called ''Guide To Companion Parrot Behavior'' by Mattie Sue Athan, I was getting most of my information from this book but I find most of its information inconsistant with the information on this forum, does anyone else have this book?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that book is 20 years old now? We have learned a lot in 20 years! What things seem contradictory?

As for a harness, I think Ripley would take to one. I just haven't tried

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that book is 20 years old now? We have learned a lot in 20 years! What things seem contradictory?
I believe you are right. The things I found most contradictory are mostly the personality profiles she put on most species of birds, her book said that most poi love to lay on their backs, and she basically said Quakers are excessively territorial and not very good pets. I think the real issue is that most of the birds she worked with were wild caught imports, so they behaved differently.
As for a harness, I think Ripley would take to one. I just haven't tried
Great, maybe if I get one he can go on walks with me:).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, I think another issue is that a lot of people like to lump traits together like we do with dogs. The issue is that dogs have been bred for specific traits, while birds have not. A book that tells you how each species behaves is really interesting - no one wants to be told, "all birds are individuals" :lol:

Quakers are very territorial and they were not a good pet for me :p

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Well, I think another issue is that a lot of people like to lump traits together like we do with dogs. The issue is that dogs have been bred for specific traits, while birds have not. A book that tells you how each species behaves is really interesting - no one wants to be told, "all birds are individuals" :lol:
Too True!

Which species of poi would you call the most playful? And which would you call the easiest to maintain as a pet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Too True!

Which species of poi would you call the most playful? And which would you call the easiest to maintain as a pet?
No idea :) I stumbled upon Ripley and fell in love with his face. I brought him home and learned about Jardine's after :p

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I adopted my sennie, Luna, and was told at the time that he was 6 yo and had been in the same home for most of that time. He has been living with us for 3 years, so this has been my short-lived experience:

1. The first year was tough because Luna didnt want much from me in terms of interactions, but over time and especially after the first year, he has really opened up and so much of his personality shines through now. So, if he had been considered a one person bird, I dont think that has been a deterrent to us building a relationship together. To me, he is very sweet and intelligent, and I think he trusts me to give him his space and independence to grow into his confidence.

2. Luna is very playful and curious, and loves to play with all hanging and chewing toys, swings, and also foraging toys where he has to explore for his treats. I dont know how true it is, but I have heard abundant playtime out of the cage (and trick training) also helps with tamping down any aggression in pois. I do have lots of toys, playstands, and outside time with Luna -- he is an ardent explorer! -- so I agree with others opinion.

3. I have not noticed any problems with an overgrown beak, but like you said, Luna is a sennie.

4. Because of his can-opener beak, I do not handle Luna barehanded, but other sennie owners who do trick training have definitely been able to teach their sennies how to lay on their backs, and other tricks. However, I'm not sure this would be a natural inclination otherwise.

5. I dont find Luna to be nippy in any way. I do have a quaker who can be quite nippy during mating seasons, so in comparison, my sennie does not bite much.

6. No experience with Jardines so I cannot provide any insight.

7. Generally, Luna does not make a lot of noise or when he does, they are soft mumbles or peeps. However, if he detects a danger outside or if we are purposefully making loud play noises or singing, he is capable of making a high piercing sound. I was told that Luna's prior human brought him to the rescue, because she had recently moved into a condo building and supposedly Luna was too loud for either management or her neighbors - I dont know how true this is, as I find Luna generally quieter than my quaker, but like I said, he can make noise.

Good luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks @iamwhoiam your Jake sounds wonderful, I'll look into Senegals some more. Do you know if there is a personality difference between male and female Senegal's?

I was considering a red-bellied but they sound like they are pretty one person birds. Is this a correct assumption?
As for the brown-headed parrots I have done a lot of research into both them and the meyers and found that most people said that there was more difference in individuals than between the two species (correct me if I'm wrong), so for the sake of simplicity I just put meyers although brown-headed parrots are still an option for me :) .

Does anyone have a harness trained poi? One of my goals is to harness train whichever parrot I get. I can't imagine trying to harness train my female cockatiel she really didn't like anything on her back, so she would've probably spent her time chewing on it:confused:, do you think a poi would accept one?

I also have a book called ''Guide To Companion Parrot Behavior'' by Mattie Sue Athan, I was getting most of my information from this book but I find most of its information inconsistant with the information on this forum, does anyone else have this book?
Don't know if there are any personality or behavioral difference between male and female Senegals. I've only had my male.
As for red-bellied parrots being one person birds, once again characteristics are an individual thing. I have several red-bellies and some are a bit standoffish when it comes to other people and some are not. One of my females, Sophie, is VERY outgoing and personable and will interact with anyone and everyone. She is definitely not a one person bird.

I have Mattie Sue Athan's "Guide to the Senegal Parrot and its Family". I haven't looked at that book for a long time, though. If I remember correctly, some of the information is pertinent and applicable today and some of it isn't. I'll take it off the bookshelf and see what she has to say.

I've never harness trained any of my birds. When I take them outdoors they are in their carriers.

Too True!

To repeat myself, depends on the individual bird. All of my red-bellied parrots and Senegal can be silly and playful. Easy to maintain....I wouldn't really say that birds are easy. I consider them my friends and family members rather than "pets". :)