• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine's character - questions

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Hi. I have the opportunity to give home to a young jardine's parrot (male) . What is the big difference in character between gray (kongo) and jardine? Another a question - I travel often to a cottage and want to go with a parrot. Would that be stressful for the jardine? Is it a parrot for 1 person or does it tolerate the whole family? I have no experience with African parrots. Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jardine's are not really related to African Greys. They are in the Poicephalus family, so related to Senegals, Meyers, etc

I have a 21 year old male and he is pretty even keel. He likes lots of people and takes changes pretty easily (except foods lol). I've only had him for 2 years.

However, I've heard as young birds they can be pretty ornery and tempermental.

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Thank you Mizzely. I know, Jardine's aren´t really related to African Grey, but on the web states, that they are "green African Grey" or "little Amazon parrot". I don't know why - talking, coloring, or character?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've not owned either so I don't know :) Move doesn't really talk but does whistle and beep like I guess some Greys do. He also chews a lot like an Amazon :lol:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If they're related to poicephalus, why do they have a bare eye ring? I've always wondered. It seems more macaw or conure like, yet, there they are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they're related to poicephalus, why do they have a bare eye ring? I've always wondered. It seems more macaw or conure like, yet, there they are.
That goes beyond my pay grade :lol:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Okay, I'll have to investigate this. You have the most confusing parrot. When I first saw your avatar, I thought Amazon, then I noticed the eye ring. &, frankly, the flat looking head also reminds me of macaws, especially blue & gold... It's a mystery.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He 100% has Poicephalus behaviors. I've had a conure and a mini Macaw and he's way different in that regard

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I don't have a Jardine's, but I do have a red-bellied parrot, which is another member of the Poicephalus family. Also worked with senegals and meyer's in the past. It's less obvious on them, but they do all have a bare eye ring. It's just dark enough that it blends well with their feathers.

To answer your other question, just in general it depends on the individual bird. My flock are all good with travel, but they're also very used to being in the car. I take them with me to the bank, stores that allow them, the beach, parks, and (prior to covid) street fairs/festivals. I do this largely in part so the two-hour drive to the vet is less unusual and stressful for them. My starling has been on four separate day-long road trips because his care is specialized enough I'm not comfortable leaving him with a sitter.

Just make it a normal, fun thing and I believe he'll adjust fine to visiting the cottage. However, keep in mind that some birds do get carsick.