• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine Questions

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I cook the yams and then cut all the leafy greens up and incorporate it into the yam itself. I change those leafies up all the time, but it's usually a combo of dandelion greens, kale, beet greens, parsley, cilantro and fresh herbs. This method works for my flock of 11, as they all love their yams, but not all love their leafies!

Chloster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
Do either of you know how much a Jardine should weigh? I just want to make sure I’m not over feeding him or anything

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's going to be individual. Better to go off of body condition. Ripley weighs about 200 but should be around 230g

keelbone-illus-2_orig.jpg

Chloster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
I cook the yams and then cut all the leafy greens up and incorporate it into the yam itself. I change those leafies up all the time, but it's usually a combo of dandelion greens, kale, beet greens, parsley, cilantro and fresh herbs. This method works for my flock of 11, as they all love their yams, but not all love their leafies!
How exactly do you incorporate the leafies? Do you fully cook the yams and just mash everything up together?
I just went out and bought a bunch of fresh veggies and I’m not entirely sure how to incorporate the kale and dandelion greens. Do they need to be steamed a bit?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How exactly do you incorporate the leafies? Do you fully cook the yams and just mash everything up together?
I just went out and bought a bunch of fresh veggies and I’m not entirely sure how to incorporate the kale and dandelion greens. Do they need to be steamed a bit?
No. what I do is finely chop up the leafies, and then chop them into the cooked mashed yams. My picky birds can't pick out the leafies as they eat their yams. Some of my birds I was able to adjust the ratio of leafies to yams over time until they were eating the greens by themselves.
Feeding your birds raw/uncooked veggies is recommended.

If you feed your baby nuts, soaking raw nuts overnight before feeding enhances the nutritional value of nuts.

Chloster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
@Nikomania @Mizzely i forgot to ask (and it feels like a silly question) but do you both give your Jardines their veggie bowls only once or twice per day? Do they get that bowl in the morning and then eat it throughout the day? I give Loki some veggies and he’ll eat some in the morning and then pick at them as the day goes on and get pellets when he wants them (same with the seed but I’m trying to wean him off of the seed now) I don’t want him to starve. Just wondering how much he should be getting each day. I’m so sorry for pestering you both!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds will eat 10 to 20% of their body weight a day. I offer veggies in the morning and remove after a few hours regardless if he's eaten any or not as I don't want him to get sick off spoiled food.

Pellets are available 24/7 in a separate bowl or in foragers. That way there is never a question if he has food available or not.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I do what @Mizzely does: feed them their veggies with some fruit in the a.m., but then remove their bowls after 4 hours. My flock also has freeze dried veggies available to nosh on throughout the day along with Harrison's pellets.

Chloster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chloe
I do what @Mizzely does: feed them their veggies with some fruit in the a.m., but then remove their bowls after 4 hours. My flock also has freeze dried veggies available to nosh on throughout the day along with Harrison's pellets.
Freeze dried veggies is genius! Loki might enjoy that actually. Is there a particular brand that you use?

Cosmo305

Strolling the yard
My own! I am the owner of Bodacious Birdie Bites (see my siggie) ;)
I just tried your FD chop and Cosmo LOVES it! Do you ever do coupons or free shipping? Will definitely be ordering again and trying some of your new fun items! Highly recommend…

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just tried your FD chop and Cosmo LOVES it! Do you ever do coupons or free shipping? Will definitely be ordering again and trying some of your new fun items! Highly recommend…
:yah:Thank you very much! So happy your baby is loving his chop!:eating:
Occasionally I offer coupons. Free shipping is offered over a certain dollar amount.