• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine Parrot cere issue

PickleB

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vicki
I have had Sweet Pea, the female Jardine Parrot, over 20 years. She was from an 87 yr old woman who was moving into assisted living and sadly, could not take her best friend. I do not know how old she is. Over the last month, she has been developing a small crack in the middle of her cere. It is not bleeding or bothering her. Has anyone had this issue, and if so, how did you handle it? My vet has not, and is submitting the picture thru her veterinary network VIN. Thank you!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww poor baby! I have a 23 year old male, but haven't run into that!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you observed her rubbing her cere or beak on anything in her cage? It’s hard to get a good look ( especially with my phone). Can you take a couple of side views and a better close up? It doesn’t look like a crack to me but more like small chunk or divot/ hole for lack of better words. Ask your vet if a sample of the exposed tissue should be biopsied to rule out infection.

Reactions: tka

PickleB

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vicki
Aww poor baby! I have a 23 year old male, but haven't run into that!
Nice thing it doesn't affect her breathing or seem to bother her in any way. Thanks for responding...just didn't know if it might be an oddity of Jardines, as I have had cockatiels live to be 25 yrs old and never saw anything like this.

ZoeLilyBug

Moving in
Real Name
Beth Curasi
Hello! Poor baby! :heart: Hard to tell from the photo but it almost seems like maybe she fell and hit her nose and it’s in the process of healing…? I would be very curious to know about her diet? It does seem like her skin may be dry and I noticed some missing feathers on her head. This could just be due to age but diet is so important that it Has to be asked. It may do her a lot of good to get some sunlight every day if she’s not already.

On one of my green cheek conures, her nose area is always very dry and the skin has thickened a lot. She is 10 but on my 2 younger birds (youngest is 6 months) the skin is thin and smooth. The vet had recommended a humidifier and coconut oil with did both helped a lot. As long as you’re sure there’s no broken skin out or infection, I would try applying coconut oil a couple times a day. You can melt it with your fingers. Just make sure you don’t get it in her actual nostrils (on them is fine). I hope some of that info may help!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Before you apply anything to this area wait for your vet to hear back from the VIN and clinical recommendations. If your vet suggests a biopsy to rule out infection or abnormal cell tissue you don’t want to alter any test results with homeopathic remedies.