• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine or caique

Denisa

Moving in
Real Name
Denisa
Hi. I know, there have been many similar topics, and I don't even know what answer I want to hear. I decide between the caique and the jardine. We live 2 generations in 1 house, so a parrot would interact all day. I only had experience with budgies and cockatiels. The cockatiels were great, but a lot of dust (i have astma) . My main concerns

-Caique: very hyperactive, noise

- Jardine : parrot only 1 people

Can the jardine right education to accept all family?

Can a person be tempted to caique all day? Energy 24h 7day ist for me impossible.

At the beginning I plan 1 parrot, later maybe 2.

Thank you for answers

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's is not a one person bird :) So it is possible!

Wildcard

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Jardines are great parrots and for the most part much easier to live with than a Caique. My Lesser Jardines is also very good with both my husband and me and also with extended family. She was a little nippy around age 2, but settled back in great. She’s just a terrific companion bird (also was my first parrot).

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Not sure what wildcard is talking about , But caiques are easy to live with nothing hard
About it , I am sick of ppl trying make caiques out to be the worst or one of the worst parrots to own , No parrot or animal is perfect , However whatever negative traits a caique may have the pros definitely outweigh the cons by far , I own two caiques and I wouldnt trade them for any other parrot , All birds make noise but caiques in my opinion aren't as loud as a d annoying as a conure , Amazon or macaws etc , they are quite for the most part as long as you are taken care of them probably a d meeting all their needs, However on the rare occasions that they do chirp it's really not that bad at all, caiques are high energy birds and love to play and when they do its so fun to watch , I say definitely get a caique you will not regret it just do you're research on them and be prepared..

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Everyone has had different experiences with different birds. I don't think Wildcard was intending to hate on caiques at all, I quite agree with them based on the individuals I've met. Their high energy tendencies and high-pitched vocalizations are certainly not for every owner -- those who consider them should be aware of the possibilities before getting that specific bird.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Not sure what wildcard is talking about , But caiques are easy to live with nothing hard
About it , I am sick of ppl trying make caiques out to be the worst or one of the worst parrots to own , No parrot or animal is perfect , However whatever negative traits a caique may have the pros definitely outweigh the cons by far , I own two caiques and I wouldnt trade them for any other parrot , All birds make noise but caiques in my opinion aren't as loud as a d annoying as a conure , Amazon or macaws etc , they are quite for the most part as long as you are taken care of them probably a d meeting all their needs, However on the rare occasions that they do chirp it's really not that bad at all, caiques are high energy birds and love to play and when they do its so fun to watch , I say definitely get a caique you will not regret it just do you're research on them and be prepared..
Every person is different in what they consider pros and cons, and in what they can or can not handle. Some people can handle very loud screaming from a specific bird, while they can't handle perhaps a different quieter yell. No bird or person is "one size fits all". And from what I've seen (I do not have experience with living with caiques though) caiques look amazing but like a real handful. Some people couldn't handle that and need a lower-energy bird, while a different person might be the perfect fit. I'd much rather people be aware of the cons before they bring home a bird to minimize the chance that they need to rehome! You say the pros far outweigh the cons, and while that may be true for you a different person might not be able to handle those cons at all! I don't think it's about positive or negative traits; just about which bird and which human "mesh" correctly with both their needs and desires.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But caiques are easy to live with nothing hard
About it , I am sick of ppl trying make caiques out to be the worst or one of the worst parrots to own
I'm curious if this is this based solely on your 3 and 4 month old caiques or do you have some other experiences with adult birds?

I agree there are some species that have a really bad rep that quite often they don't deserve but I'm sure out there are those that do live up to those claims.
Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Nice to go into bird ownership with eyes open wide to the possibilities :)

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm curious if this is this based solely on your 3 and 4 month old caiques or do you have some other experiences with adult birds?
I was trying to figure that out too. Those guys aren't even through puberty yet, unless I'm mistaken.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne

I agree there are some species that have a really bad rep that quite often they don't deserve but I'm sure out there are those that do live up to those claims.
Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Nice to go into bird ownership with eyes open wide to the possibilities :)
I use to own other caiques 4years ago when I lived in Canada and had no problems with them either , The reason I dont have them anymore is because I had to move back to the states last minute and I didnt have the time to get them all to the vet to do all the proper paper work for them to travel it's a long story I don't wanna really get into it so long story short I had to rehome those 3 caiques I had 4years ago but absolutely no fault of their own , in hindsight I wish if I did things differently back then and did whatever I need to do to get them to go with me even if it was just one out of the three of them , But the timing of it all was really short notice..

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I was trying to figure that out too. Those guys aren't even through puberty yet, unless I'm mistaken.

I have owned other caiques in the past that were older then the pair I have now..