• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine Life expectancy

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows the life expectancy of a Jardine parrot? I have a Jardine parrot that I handfed and raised since a hatchling she is 23 years old. I also have an umbrella cockatoo who is the same age that I raised since 5 months old .

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is conflicting information about them; some sources say 30 to 40 years, while others say up to 60. I have a 21 year old Jardine's boy that will be 22 this year; adopted him in August 2019. Hoping we have many more years together :)

IMG_20201230_123102_762.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your birds are very cute.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
What beautiful birds you have! :awww:

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
There is conflicting information about them; some sources say 30 to 40 years, while others say up to 60. I have a 21 year old Jardine's boy that will be 22 this year; adopted him in August 2019. Hoping we have many more years together :)

View attachment 371962
He is adorable
What beautiful birds you have! :awww:
Thank you, I worked with parrots for 11 years, all different species, when I was younger that jardine life span is 40 to 50 years! Thats why I was surprised to read 15 to 20

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Beautiful Jardine's. I would love to adopt one some day, but you just don't see them around much.

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows the life expectancy of a Jardine parrot? I have a Jardine parrot that I handfed and raised since a hatchling she is 23 years old. I also have an umbrella cockatoo who is the same age that I raised since 5 months old . Some of the beautiful birds I had the pleasure of working with

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have not heard anything as low as 15 to 20 for any of the Poicephalus. Even the smaller species I routinely see 25+ and often 30 to 40 as an estimate.

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
Yes, they're beautiful! I used to work with parrots for years and I saw all different types but in 11 years, I only saw 3 Jardine's. My Jardine was DNA seed and she is a female and has laid an egg over the years a few times. The one thing about Jardine's are, they can be loud at times They have a screech (call) that is ear piercing. She is louder than my umbrella cockatoo

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've also seen the early lifespan quoted as well, which I believe was based upon their susceptibility to aspergillus.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:grpwelcome:
Always good care, diet, health & luck are important but there is not alot of info on some of the lesser kept species. Grays, toos, macaws & amazons can live to the 60's & some. Seems the larger the more the lifespan on average. Many of these birds have not been bred 50 or so years to even know how many older ones there are.

Some websites probably less knowledgeable will give really low lifespans for birds.
That one lists 15 to 20 years up to 30. Most I see will go 30 to possibly 60 but I'd think 60 would be pushing it but of course its possible with luck & great care.

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
:grpwelcome:
Always good care, diet, health & luck are important but there is not alot of info on some of the lesser kept species. Grays, toos, macaws & amazons can live to the 60's & some. Seems the larger the more the lifespan on average. Many of these birds have not been bred 50 or so years to even know how many older ones there are.

Some websites probably less knowledgeable will give really low lifespans for birds.
That one lists 15 to 20 years up to 30. Most I see will go 30 to possibly 60 but I'd think 60 would be pushing it but of course its possible with luck & great care.
Thank you let's hope for 60

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
With great care & luck could be 30 to 60 years from what I've read. I answered in other thread.

I see the Hawkhead baby. :heart:
They also are rather rare & lifespan speculated 40 to 50 years.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Turnip

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
With great care & luck could be 30 to 60 years from what I've read. I answered in other thread.

I see the Hawkhead baby. :heart:
They also are rather rare & lifespan speculated 40 to 50 years.
Yes, a cute fascinating hawk head baby, I was able to hand feed until he/ she eventually found a home