• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

January 2022 Mayor of the Avenue... April

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that April is January's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I've got my wonderful little Tobias. He's a DNA'd male roughly 9 month old Crimson Bellied Conure.

2. What got you interested in birds?

When I was 5 years old we were staying at the Polynesian Hotel at Disney World and back then in the Lobby they had two beautiful Scarlet Macaws that lived the garden in the middle of the building and from the moment I saw them I was absolutely in love with parrots and that love has still remained strong many years later.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Unwavering love, laughter and at times my reason for getting up in the morning. I've had many parrots over the last 15 years and they have each taught me something new.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That these little balls of feathers can take over my entire world and heart. I've loved all of my birds but none more so than my beloved Nala. She was my entire world and the other peice of my soul. The bond that we had was something I'll never experience again. I'll miss her everyday until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first moment that Nala and I locked eyes when I went to go meet her after seeing her rehome ad at a local vet client. I'd never had a bird before but had handled many over the years that belonged to my family and neighbors. But the moment that we saw each other I felt a spark between us and the next 11 years were some of the best of my life with my sweet little girl.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Tobias lives in my bedroom since unfortunately because of my dog and other possible dangers in the living room it's not possible for him to stay out there.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes I completely threw out all of our Teflon pots and pans and bought all stainless steel,and we no longer use candles or other chemicals in our home. Also to make room for him to have the largest cage possible I took everything out of my room besides my bed and small TV so he could have room for his cage,2 playstands and his massive bin of toys and perches.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

At the moment no. Though I've thought about volunteering at a rescue.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A massive custom stainless steel cage that had every kind of extra that Tobias could want.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Tobias was my dream for 12 years I've wanted a Crimson Bellied Conure since the moment I first learned about them. But I would still like to possibly share my life with a standard Turquoise Greenie or a Blue Throated Conure. Green Cheeked Conures are my absolute favorite parrot species and will always hold a special place in my heart and I've just always been so in love with the standard Turquoise mutation specifically the mixture of different hues of blue and the way their little faces look surrounded by those gorgeous blue feathers I just can't explain it.
The Blue Throats are not only stunning visually but they seem to be a sweet and kind species from what I've read.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I wake Tobias up from his sleep cage let him take care of his morning business then weight him and after that I try to spend as much time as I can with him before I have to go to work. Then once I get home we have our one on one time with plenty snuggles and scritches and whatever else he wants to do.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Always expect the unexpected and never doubt how different even birds of the same species or genus can be. I've always had Green Cheek Conures and they tended to be much quieter and less high strung. Tobias as a Crimson is another Pyrrhura species but he is far more needy it seems and we are currently dealing with a screaming issue but though it can be very mentally exhausting I love him dearly and we will continue to work on this problem together. He's such a sweet boy and loves me so much and I him.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I don't think I'd really do anything differently honestly. If I hadn't have gone through all I did with my past parrots good and bad issues I wouldn't be the much better and more informed parrot owner that I am today.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to read and enjoy furthering my general animal knowledge as much as I can. I also greatly enjoy spending as much time as I can with my sweet little rescue dog.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Just that I'm deeply honored to be chosen for this acknowledgement and I love being a part of AA and helping out any way that I can. AA has always been here for me and I wouldn't be the owner I am today without all that I've learned here :heart: .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What a wonderful interview and choice for our new mayor!

:congrats5: April!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

Really enjoyed reading that and i am sure you will get to a point where the screaming will stop.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
Very well deserved!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your interview :) :starshower1:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:Congratwav: Loved the interview!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Yay!!! Congrats, April!!!

Great choice for our Mayor!!

:yah::congrats5:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road