• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

January 2018 Mayor of the Avenue... TWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that TWR is January's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

My inside birds are Hannah (a Hanhns Macaw), Ara (a Jenday Conure) and Tinga (a Sun Conure). Butch (an Olive Rainbow Lorikieet) lives with his mate, Cheeky (a Red Collared Lorikeet) in an outdoor aviary. A flock of Budgies live together in another outdoor aviary.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My son & his then girlfriend purchased Cheeky as as baby. My daughter still lived at home at the time and we both became smitten. Before I met Cheeky, I really didn't realise you could form a relationship with a bird. I just didn't know that could happen. So we purchased Butch and it all began from that start. Fast forward a few years adn Cheeky came to live with Butch at our house.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Great Joy.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That bird ownership is a privilege and a responsibility. I've also learned patience.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I adopted Tinga at age 5 and it was not an instant bond at all. Tinga would not come out of his cage and did not want to spend time with me. After a slow process and about 4 months passage of time, Tinga flew from his cage to join me on the cage. He chose to come to me and once he did, it was like the flood gate was opened. He became my velcro bird who could not get close enough to me. I will never forget that day.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

They have their own bird room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

A permanent dividing wall was put in place to divide the attached garage into 2 separate rooms. The half with internal access to the main house was then set up as a bird room / my chill out zone. My recliner chair, TV, desk and computer moved into the room too, as well as their cages, play stands, hanging nets etc. It's where I go to relax and spend time with my babies. I like that it keeps them separate from visitors and less exposed to the risk of escape, as their area is several rooms removed from the external doors.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just AA.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

If this is about dreaming about things out of reach, then I'd love to have the back yard turned into one big aviary. I'd also love one of those aviaries that join onto the house via a window. I'll never have either, so I'll settle for my birds looking out the window while sitting on their Wingdow - which was a luxury item in my budget - especially considering the cost of posting it to Australia.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I'd love an African Grey, but I have a macaw so that won't happen.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

So that my birds can stay awake later at night, the avian lights in their room are controlled by timers. The lights turn on at 11am and turn off at 11pm. 100% blockout curtains ensure that no daylight creeps in when it is their sleep time. I feed the outside birds fairly early and take the inside birds their breakfast at 11am. During the day (when I am at home) Tinga and Hannah take turns coming out and spending time with me in the main part of the house. They have to take turns, as Hannah just goes for toes if they are out together. Sadly, Ara has decided that she doesn't want to come out of her cage any more. Despite all of them being well past their baby stages, at around 4pm they take turns having a spoon feeding. I make it from ground up Harrisons Pellets and a bird safe home made green smoothie. We all enjoy it, including Ara. It's really the only way I can be sure of getting Harrisons and a good assortment of veggies into them on a daily basis. Sometime after my dinner, I go into the birdroom to watch TV and spend time with the birds. Again, Hannah & Tinga have to take turns to come out and Ara never comes out of her cage, despite her cage door being open. Hannah & Tinga happily return to their cage with a bribe of an almond.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

That they are noisy, messy, long lived and not easy pets to care for. Unless you are prepared for the commitment, you shouldn't adopt a bird. If you are prepared for it though, they bring so much joy.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Although I love them and can't imagine life without them, they also impact my husband too since it becomes difficult to go on holidays. We do manage to go, but infrequently and with much worry on my part.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I enjoy running and caring for and playing with my grandsons.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank you for this honour.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Congratulations! I love the idea of your garage conversion.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats:
I love your spoon feeding routine, such a great idea!
Thanks. Ara and Tinga simply nibble the food off the spoon, but Hannah, despite turning 2 in February, still takes the spoon in the exact same way a baby bird does.

My AV also said that if they keep it up, I’ll always have an easy way to medicate. I’ve already had to use it for that purpose to medicate Hannah and it worked a treat.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:congrats5:
Great interview, I loved Reading it!:D Never a boring moment in your house I imagine!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:congratsbig: I enjoyed getting to know more about you and your flock! Love the idea of a recliner in the bird room, hehe.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Congrats!!!
:cheer:
I loved reading this interview! Thank you!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Great interview, and congratulations for Mayor! :congrats5:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I enjoyed reading interview and getting to know more about you and your flock!

Status
Not open for further replies.