• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

January 2016 Mayor of the Avenue... Monica

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Monica is January's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Casey, 14 1/2 year old cinnamon pearl pied cockatiel
Pistachio, 17+ year old cockatiel
Tomi Girl, pied cockatiel of unknown age
Charlie, 22 year old mitred conure
Faye, normal cockatiel of unknown age
Jayde, 6 year old red throated conure
Sylphie, 3+ year old wild caught african ringneck
Finn, 1+ year old green or red throated conure?

2. What got you interested in birds?

I've always had a fascination with creatures that could fly since I was a toddler. Scared the heck out of my mother when I was playing with bees and sticking them in my mouth! She's allergic to them! I never harmed them, nor got stung, somehow! From there, it grew to moths and butterflies, and to birds! When my grandfather was still alive, we'd always try to point out the local wildlife. :)

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Laughter, love, admiration, beauty, amazement, awe. Many things! :)

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

To have more patience, understanding and take things a little slower. I already do all that, but they have helped me to do it more so, so that I can better relate to them and to communicate with them. If not for birds, I probably wouldn't have learned as much as I have about genetics in general, or hybrids! :D

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There are many, but here's one that I still laugh at! :) I was working with Charlie on recall training, having him fly between me and a chair. I was using the "Come here!" cue, and he would fly back to me. Well, one time, instead of flying back, he repeated "Come 'ere!". I told Charlie, "No, YOU come here!". He contemplated it for a moment, then flew back to me! I then laughed about the situation as he's never said that phrase before, nor since!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Converted bedroom into a bird room with cages!

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

No cats or dogs allowed in the bird room, *especially* unsupervised. No pans with PTFE coatings. No candles, or if there are candles, they remain unlit. I've torn out carpet before and replaced with linoleum tiles.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

There is a local bird club which I try to attend every month if I can make it! :) Other than that, a few online groups that I may participate in and help others learn the joy of having our feathery companions in our homes! :D

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An aviary! Well, already have one at the moment... (and may be selling it) but, I mean, a large house with property where-in I could convert one part of the home into an indoor and outdoor aviary for my flock so that they could have the freedom to fly at leisure and enjoy both the indoors and the outdoors at their pleasure. :)

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

A galah! I love these cheeky little guys! They kind of remind me of a mix between a cockatiel and a dinosaur, but all cute and cuddly! I don't think I could handle *most* large cockatoos, but a little galah seems "just right" if I were to get a 'too! ;)

I've also fallen for noble, illiger and yellow collared macaws for the unique personalities these guys have! If I thought I could handle a large beak, I'd love a blue opaline blue and gold macaw! Absolutely gorgeous!

But I'm also in love with violet budgies, blue bourkes and potentially even the new violet turquoise green cheek conures! :heart: Love the mixtures of blues, whites and purple on some of the mutations!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

In the mornings, I go around to all the cages and open them up. Casey loves to fly out, fly around the room, and if no one else is on me, land on me and demand scritches. Charlie likes to come out and go underneath his cage where I have storage of bird items. Jayde has recently taken to following him underneath where they shuffle about and scream at the top of their lungs! It's the only place they get along at right now! (no preening or hankey pankey behaviors! try not to allow them to do that very often!) If Jayde gets tired of being there, she'll shoot out like a bullet and land on my right shoulder! Fnn likes to come out and hang out on top of his cage and sometimes will hang off the side while I'm getting food ready.

While I'm getting food ready, I'll give short little interactions with whoever's with me, and will give more attention to the birds as I'm putting their food into the cage and start putting everyone back in. Most will dive right for their breakfast but generally, Casey and Charlie both enjoy some extra attentions prior to eating! (or sometimes during! ;) )

I generally like to give everyone some time to eat before going back and interacting with them more hands on, or taking Charlie and Jayde with me to sit back and watch some TV, use the computer or read some. Been taking things slow with Finn since he still considers his cage to be his safety zone, much like I did with Jayde. I may occasionally feed the tiel flock by hand, and Sylphie tries to join in, but always chickens out if it's just her at my hand! The tiels aren't fond of her. I always interact with the tiels and Sylphie (if she's interested), in the bird room. :)

When they go back into their cages for the night, I give each bird a little extra one on one attention. :) Jayde and Charlie would both rather stay up with me than get some sleep! :heart:

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

If you just got a new bird, take it slow! I know you may be eager to do things *now* with your bird, but he or she may not be ready. :) Try and "listen" to your bird and figure out when they are ready to come out of the cage and interact with you. They may prefer hands off interaction before physical interaction. It's *OK* to take things slow. If they need more time in the cage, that's ok, too! Learn to communicate and when to back off, and your bird will be happier. :)

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I'd probably change the way I interacted with many of my previous birds, back when the bird *had* to do what you wanted the bird to do, and in order to tame the bird you had to clip their wings and put them in the bathroom so that you were the only familiar thing. If the bird bit, ignore it or punish them for biting.

Looking back now, I can see how bad this advice really was and how much it can terrify our birds. Rather than being trust building, it's trust destroying. It makes me so happy to see people going from "old school" to "new school" training techniques! :D

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to read, to learn, figure things out with my hands, go hiking and exploring with my SO. Not really my hobby, but have taken an interest in aquariums, particularly cherry shrimp. :)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

May 2016 be a great year for all! Hopefully, Santa granted your wishes! ;) And I can't wait to hear and see the new stories and quirky things our fids do! :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Big month for you! :congrats5:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:party:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Just now noticed your banner, Monica, and searched to find when you were Mayor -- glad you started off 2016 as the Mayor of the Avenue -- belated congratulations! So well deserved -- you always contribute so much about behavior and husbandry to the forums!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! Thank you for always posting in-depth training and other information!! Smooches to your fids...extra smooch to Jayde!

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Status
Not open for further replies.