• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

January 2012 Mayor of the Avenue..... Stephanie (luvsgreys)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Stephanie (luvsgreys) as January's "Mayor of the Avenue" :heart:

Please join me in welcoming her :dance5:

Thank you Stephanie for letting us get to know you a little more, I enjoyed your interview! :dance4:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have a Congo Grey, Emmett hatched on 11-17-2009 and a Brown Necked Cape Parrot, Olivia hatched on 11-28-2010.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I know that I have always had a love for animals of all kinds ever since I was a young child.
:) I spend my days outside until the sun went down, and since I grew up in a smaller town on three acres there was always lots for me to explore. Around the age of seven I spent a Summer with my Grandparents and they had a Goffin Cockatoo named Guffy. I fondly remember my Grandmother telling me not to stick my fingers in his cage because he would bite me. ;) Guffy now lives with their son, and has been in their family for roughly 20 years. Being able to watch Guffy while I was there that Summer planted a seed and I always hoped one day I would be able to finally interact with him. I read and read all I could about birds, parrots in particular, and had been fascinated with them large and small ever since.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Emmett and Olivia have brought a lot of happiness and laughter into my life, they have encouraged me to never stop reading and learning in hopes of making their lives better. I get so much joy watching them play and hearing them vocalize. We all know that parrots can be "difficult" sometimes, however, I can never stay frustrated for long.
:heart: There was a short time after losing Bobbie (a retired breeder CAG I adopted) that I did not have any birds in my home and that time was very quiet, and lonely. Despite my grief and vow to never own another bird (because I did not want to ever feel the immense sadness from losing her again) I knew that I would not be happy living in a bird-less home. Bringing Emmett home helped to heal my heart, and although I will always miss our first grey, Bobbie, I don't regret the short time she was with us, and all the smiles and memories she left behind. :heart:

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Sharing my life with birds has taught me patience, unconditional love and that you can always find laughter in almost any situation...even a chewed hole in the wall.
:p I have learned that you should always continue learning, because what we knew ten years ago has changed a lot from what we know now. Birds are nothing like owning a cat or a dog, and choosing to own one is a big commitment that requires a lot of time, attention, patience, sense of humor, and money. I have also learned that a good Avian Vet is worth their weight in gold.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I know that this question asks about a one birdie memory, and this is more of a general answer...but the memories that will stay with me forever are the look on my fids faces every time I see them after being out of the house for a couple hours, or having returned from vacation. Their excitement to see me truly makes my heart smile!
:heart:

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Since we moved from GA, the bird's main living area has shrunk a bit, although, their cages are nice and roomy. They are living downstairs right outside our main living area, and when they come out of their cages they go right into the living room to play.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We have multiple floor stands, and tiled floor for easy clean up, as well as an atom that recently went up and a OG crawler that will be hung this week, I also plan to put a few more holes in the ceiling for boings and swings. The fids use our shower, our fridge, and have access to every room of ours.
:D There used to be ceiling fans in our living room and bedroom, and I had them taken down for safety, and to keep them off of them. :rolleyes:

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am not involved in any bird clubs, however, after I'm done with school I would like to find a local bird club to join. Finding the Avian Avenue was a big blessing, and has introduced me to so many wonderful people.
:hug9: I have learned a lot, and hope that I have been able to help some as well. Another wonderful perk of the Avenue are the fantastic venders that we have here, I can't thank you all enough for helping me make my bird's lives better!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

The fids and I enjoy spending a lot of time on the deck, soaking up the sun whenever the weather is warm enough. I would love to be able to customize our next house so that most, if not all of it is bird safe, and I plan on having a large screened in area off the house where they can fly, bathe in natural rain, and soak up the Vitamin D and sunshine.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I can honestly say that I am very happy with my two, however, Brian (my dear husband) has a spot in his heart for Cockatoos, particularly Umbrellas. I think that once we are settled, and have the space and means to keep an U2 happy, we might add to the family.
:) But until then, my dream birds already live here.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

A typical day at home with the birds starts with lots of "Good mornings" and scratches. It's always a happy time at our house!
:D I empty their uneaten dry food into a container to be put outside for the wild birds. Wash their food and water bowls, and replace them with fresh food and water. While I'm doing this Emmett and Olivia are out (in separate rooms) to stretch their wings. I chop up fresh foods some days and skewer other days, trying to keep things interesting and get them used to foraging. Their Harrisons pellets and treats go in foraging toys or treat cups that are spread out around their cage. I'll take out used toys and replace them with new ones when necessary, and vacuum the floor and change cage papers. The fids then go into their cages for breakfast and will come out again shortly after to play on their stands or hanging gyms. They are out to play the majority of the day, and are showered every other day. In the evenings when dinner is being made and eaten, they are back in their cages to eat dinner and afternoon mash.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I have learned that since birds show illness differently than other pets it is important to be very aware of their daily activities and food consumption. I weight them both daily and record their weights once or twice a week. I have learned that birds take everything in, and they fully recognize our emotions, even if we do not think we are being obvious about how we feel. I have learned that not everyone is a bird person, and how to share my knowldege with others who are curious about my love for birds. I have learned that a healthy varied diet, and flight (exercize) are very important to the overall health of my birds, as well as sunshine and lots of stimulation to keep their minds busy.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would make sure they were eating a healthier diet and I had more places to them to play outside of the cage. I regret not really encouraging a varied diet with Emmett early on, because now he is a pickier eater. Olivia was started very early and will eat just about anything!
:highfive:

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I really love to make bird toys for Emmett and Olivia, and do so whenever I can to keep up with their busy beaks. Olivia is a heavy wood chipper, so I buy a lot of her wood toy parts in bulk and fashion them together myself. Toy making is a great stress reliever for me, and allows my creative juices to flow. I also enjoy baking, being active outside, reading, watching movies, and spending time with family and friends.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I met my husband very early, and we moved to GA because of the Navy. While in GA, I first worked in a Veterinary office, and then completed my Dental Assisting certification and worked for a Periodontist until we moved back to CT. After seven years of putting off school, I am proud to say that I am almost finished with my prerequisite classes, have made the Deans list every semester, and will be transferring to a University for my Dental Hygiene classes in the Fall. I am lucky to have found someone who shares my interest for birds, and (although sometimes reluctantly
:p ) goes to local bird shows with me, and helps me make our home a fun place for the birds to live. I know he's a keeper when he knows what SWS means, is familiar with my friends on the Ave, and never looks as me funny when I tell him an exciting bird story. :D I really appreciate being asked to be Mayor for January and I look forward to cruising the Avenue in 2012! :hug8:

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations Stephanie!! You deserve this award, and more! Great interview!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congratulations Stephanie! Well deserved!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8::heart::hug8::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats Stephanie!:dance5: Love the interview!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I enjoyed your interview, Stephanie, and the opportunity to get to know you a little more! :hug8:

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Congratulations Stephanie..great interview and a well deserved honor!!!!!!!!

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Congrats Stephanie! Very well deserved and I loved reading your interview!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! It was a great interview!

Matt

ArloDuncan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Steve
Congratulations Stephanie!!!! Loved your interview!!!! :)

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:highfive: Congrats! Great interview!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats Stephanie! Great interview and a much deserved award!:hug8::heart::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.